This is the best we have looked in 5 years.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We’re back in the 8 this year.

Tigers, south’s, titans, Newcastle, eels are locks for somewhere between 9-17.

raiders, dragons, cowboys also won’t be in the 8 and the last team to round it out in the eagles or dolphins

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "pack". We have a very decent hooker (Mahony), 2 x high quality 2nd rowers (Kikau & Preston) with more than decent back ups and a quality lock (Curtin) also with multiple back ups (Mann & Hayward). If you mean props we have an NRL quality prop (King) with 3 very promising mobile forwards (Hughes, Farmer Silly & Kautoga) that can handle prop and 2nd row. It seems a popular media driven opinion that we don't have an "alfa prop" but the style of game we play, line speed, fast play the balls and support defenders with multiples in tackles doesn't need the typical alfa prop. Kikau also does a lot of defending in the middle 1/3rd and he's fairly intimidating.

Always a Bulldog
Kings our only NRL quality prop then daylight it’s crazy how we’re managing shows how good the teams going.

Sir dogeth style

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
jst goes to show the good friday game was a pure rip off, we started coming together that very week and the reff screwed us, since then the bunnys won a single game against the bye lol

we have played well, shouldve beat melb but hutcho fucked that up

but we are definitely on the rise and playing for each other week in week out

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you're right... Hutch is now holding us back... Sexton has to be given a chance,.. Tracey is our FB for the rest of the year.. he's outstanding and we look far more dangerous than we ever did with Taffe... Hughes is really coming on.. Patolo needs to go.. hes too injury prone now.. I'd like to see Kautoga given a good long run up in the NRL, i think he could really be something
I like Kautoga too. He coud be a great option in attack on the right edge. Had a great game in cup yesterday

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What I like about the current side compared to the past is that we havn't had to rely on over priced players who did not perform consistently and their hearts not in it. Like Woods, Cotric, T Rex, Foran, Pangai and a bunch of young players that fizzed out like Allen, Lichaa, Holland ect.

Now we are either developing our own players or being smart about who we bring not just talent wise but who have a Bulldog heart.

Wiggs

Waterboy
Reaction score
Add a rep quality 7 and middle, and we are back to being a genuine contender

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
5? Easily 10.
More i reckon... i'd say 2012... had the same feeling yesterday at the game as I did in 2012. I was bored... I know im a weird ***** but i get bored when it gets too easy and I had that, its just too easy feeling. BUT i love these times because you know the harder games are going to be fukn crackers and thats the real edge of the seat stuff.

In saying that we arent fully there yet, but its time we put our feet up and enjoy after a loooooong hard stint. Yesterday was proof we are back... Cant wait for the kids next year whilst we are all one year older.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with everything except the Tpj comment, lazy and too much negativity, glad he's gone!!!
Yeah agreed on TPJ. Having someone on big money doing the bare minimum can screw up the attitudes of your hardest workers. Both of our big name props were disappointing last year. Thompson was injured or suspended more than he was available to play. And Pangai was always likely to be amongst the first to give up in game.

I wasn't overly excited about our forward recruits. I give every player the chance to make a fan of me when they hit our 17 and probably only Curran sparked hope. So while we don't particularly have a dominant forward other than Kikau. What we do have is every forward giving it a red hot crack.

I put us a notch below the top teams at the moment based on the fight we've given a few of them. Given that we're short an established NRL half (Sexton has sat on the fringes at the Titans).

Our backline has jumped up close to rep level quality IMO. Burton is playing loads better. We've been seeing two decent fullback options in Taaffe and Tracey. The under rated forward pack has stepped up massively. And our strategy has been good.

While I've been disappointed with a few poor decisions by Hutchison, I also recognise that part of our forward pack not getting out muscled by the bigger packs we've faced has been through finishing sets when we're not threatening to score smartly. Last kick placement hasn't generally been down the throats of opponents back 3. Giving us time to pin them in their end (hugely committed kick chasers this year). Our backs are also easing the workload of the pack with tackle 1 & 2 yardage runs. It's allowed our mobile pack to maintain their energy.

Largely the improvement in attitude has gotten us here. It's a bit early to say that Ciraldo and co have innovated their way around a slightly less than perfect roster by playing to our strengths. But if we go on to be a competitor (winning at least one game) in the finals this year I'll be starting to wonder if he's got potential to be in the top echelon of coaches.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's just a great feeling being super competitive again. The real Bulldogs are back, hunger, desire, will to win, love it.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The boys are buying into Ciro’s system I’m glad to see he’s stuck to his guns and didn’t listen to the negative noise, it’s now slowly coming together and the results are coming to fruition.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Comparing the first 7 games of 2023 and 2024 there's an obvious improvement in attack and defence:
  • 2023: scored 107 pts, let in 175
  • 2024: scored 142 pts, let in 125
  • Increased points scored by 33%
  • Decreased points let in by 29%

Last edited:

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i get bored when it gets too easy
I hope you stay utterly, utterly bored for at least the next ten years...
I was the opposite. I got frustrated we let in two tries and missed out on at least another 30pts. 66-0 was my minimum expectation :tonguewink:
I will very happily take the complete domination of our next decade (believe it) over the total annihilation and capitulation of the last.
Bring back the brilliant 80's. Dogs of War - MkII (MkIII ?).

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like Kautoga too. He coud be a great option in attack on the right edge. Had a great game in cup yesterday
The Bulldogs have got a real keeper in young playmaker Joseph O’Neill. The young playmaker, who is on a development contract for 2024, captained the club’s Jersey Flegg side to a premiership last season and has made the step up to NSW Cup with ease.

O’Neill is a traditional halfback but took a step back on Sunday to allow Toby Sexton steer the shift. But that didn’t stop him from making a mark on the game as he set up three tries, got four linebreak assists, two tackle busts and ran for 97 metres. He also made 10 tackles with zero misses.

The local junior grew up idolising Josh Reynolds and seems to share the same competitive edge as his childhood hero, according to Sexton, who gave Fox League an insight into O’Neill’s character.

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have got a real keeper in young playmaker Joseph O’Neill. The young playmaker, who is on a development contract for 2024, captained the club’s Jersey Flegg side to a premiership last season and has made the step up to NSW Cup with ease.

O’Neill is a traditional halfback but took a step back on Sunday to allow Toby Sexton steer the shift. But that didn’t stop him from making a mark on the game as he set up three tries, got four linebreak assists, two tackle busts and ran for 97 metres. He also made 10 tackles with zero misses.

The local junior grew up idolising Josh Reynolds and seems to share the same competitive edge as his childhood hero, according to Sexton, who gave Fox League an insight into O’Neill’s character.
Its time for O'Neill at NRL level, clearly hes ahead of schedule and can handle it.. .hes the perfect foil for Burto

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its time for O'Neill at NRL level, clearly hes ahead of schedule and can handle it.. .hes the perfect foil for Burto
“He’s just a young kid that loves playing footy. I think at the moment he’s full of confidence, we’re getting tries scored against us and he’s in the middle spraying the boys. The world is at his feet,” he said post-game.

and he's obviously vocal which is good... #NOMOREHUTCH

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "pack". We have a very decent hooker (Mahony), 2 x high quality 2nd rowers (Kikau & Preston) with more than decent back ups and a quality lock (Curtin) also with multiple back ups (Mann & Hayward). If you mean props we have an NRL quality prop (King) with 3 very promising mobile forwards (Hughes, Farmer Silly & Kautoga) that can handle prop and 2nd row. It seems a popular media driven opinion that we don't have an "alfa prop" but the style of game we play, line speed, fast play the balls and support defenders with multiples in tackles doesn't need the typical alfa prop. Kikau also does a lot of defending in the middle 1/3rd and he's fairly intimidating.

Always a Bulldog
I think this is something people fixate on because the game has been a certain way for a long time. The NRL have made the game faster, things are changing. An exceptionally fit team (like we are this year) doesn't need a huge, hulking prop to win games, either in attack or defense. In his press conference, Bellamy summed it up perfectly when he said the way we play our footy really suits the players we've got.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There's a chance the Dogs' staff are of the same opinion, if there is any potential fire to the "Sexton being shopped" smoke.

The question is how and when to ease him into 1st Grade. Next run of matches are Tigers (Home), Panthers (Away), Raiders (Away), Dragons (Home), Knights (Away), Eels (Home). They seem to prefer to debut kids at Home, if they can.

I can see a scenario (total speculation) where Sexton goes to the Raiders (after we play them in Round 11), then O'Neill coming in for Hutch against the Dragons at home in Round 12. That gives O'Neill another 3 games in Cup to run the team and to show he can be consistent, ready, and a better option than Hutch.

Junior Rep Season also ends this week, so they might see a need to free up some space for pathways to Flegg -> Cup -> NRL from Round 9. Not sure how that might impact the timeline (assuming he ain't just going to stick with Hutch all season - but he might).

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Preseason I called 10th-12th, im changing that to 7th-9th.
If (and maybe it's a big if) we maintain our current trajectory, I wouldn't feel crazy expecting 5th-8th. I don't think the current top 8 is indicative of where some of those teams are truly at. Phins, Raiders and Sharks have had especially soft draws to start the year. Manly have been hot and cold and were lucky to not get done by Titans. Cowboys have been winning against lower sides but getting absolutely pumped by the better ones. I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

Bronze

Waterboy
Reaction score
Watched the levels podcast with big willie and scope and when they were talking about the dogs they mentioned how we have our swag back. We are defending well and scoring tries that look cool and flashy again. You can see in how the boys are carrying themselves on the field, all smiles and full of confidence. Critta has given us a healthy dose of arrogance that has done wonders for our squad hope the boys keep ripping in and put on a few more drubbings as the year goes on. Go Bulldogs!!

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
O'Neill will be on the bench before he is brought into the team unless Ciro has no other option because of injuries... I see O'Neill coming off the bench to get some minutes then maybe go back to NSW Cup... for a few games. But after that if he was named on the bench it may be a smokey for him to be the starting 7.