News Mahoney and Hetherington confrontation in sheds

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's called assault, if the trainers weren't there Hetherington would've continued on with it or at the very least gave that perception.

Example below, even though they're boxers and punch each other during a fight, all those conditions are off once the fight has ended (or in Hetherington's case, when he left the field)

As the two men waited for the results, Butler asked for his gloves to be cut off. After Grant was announced the winner, Butler stood in his corner seeming unpleased by the decision. Grant then made his way over to Butler to congratulate him for his effort, but Butler sucker punched the unsuspecting Grant with a right hook that dropped him to the floor. Grant lay dazed on the ring mat and bleeding from the mouth while broadcasters Bob Papa and Teddy Atlas called out for Butler to be arrested on assault charges. ...... and Butler was eventually convicted of assaulting Grant and spent four months in Rikers Island.

There's no room for those actions and the NRL should have come down hard on it, it's up there with the highest offence IMO. Because had a punch up had actually happened off the field, that's when the police become involved for assault.
Fair bit of conjecture there but sure.
Hetherington was smiling, for all we know it was a joke.
I’m not condoning what he did for a second and I think he’s a Grade A moron but there’s no evidence he was out to harm Reed. 1-2 weeks is enough for his idiocy.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not condoning what he did for a second and I think he’s a Grade A moron but there’s no evidence he was out to harm Reed. 1-2 weeks is enough for his idiocy.
The only conjecture here is that you assume because he was smiling, it MAY have been a joke.

The facts of the matter are, Hetherington half shoves/punches reed in the chest, jumps around in a fighting stance, and bulldogs support staff step in between the two and push hetherington back to stop any potential escalation.

They're the bare facts.

The excuse of "I was just joking around" has been used many times by many different people when it's clearly wasn't the case.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From SMH:

"The Bulldogs have asked the NRL for a please explain as to why Reed Mahoney was charged for the tunnel altercation with Knights forward Jack Hetherington in another twist to the bizarre incident.

Sources speaking on the condition of anonymity, due to the private talks, said Canterbury had reached out to head office to understand how Mahoney was sanctioned by the match review committee."

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
From SMH:

"The Bulldogs have asked the NRL for a please explain as to why Reed Mahoney was charged for the tunnel altercation with Knights forward Jack Hetherington in another twist to the bizarre incident.

Sources speaking on the condition of anonymity, due to the private talks, said Canterbury had reached out to head office to understand how Mahoney was sanctioned by the match review committee."
Bugger. 2 game suspension for the club daring to not bow down and take it.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The joke excuse just doesn't work.

Try going to Sydney Airport and yelling 'BOMB' as a joke.

No matter how funny you think it would be I can guarantee you the joke defense won't cut it in court.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The only conjecture here is that you assume because he was smiling, it MAY have been a joke.

The facts of the matter are, Hetherington half shoves/punches reed in the chest, jumps around in a fighting stance, and bulldogs support staff step in between the two and push hetherington back to stop any potential escalation.

They're the bare facts.

The excuse of "I was just joking around" has been used many times by many different people when it's clearly wasn't the case.
Righto. The ‘bare facts’ also are that Bupa acknowledged he was in the wrong when he was charged with dissent and comparing the two incidents makes no sense. But happy to leave it there :-).

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From SMH:

What a fucking joke, so Mahoney gets a fine for walking down the tunnel and not fighting back?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The joke excuse just doesn't work.

Try going to Sydney Airport and yelling 'BOMB' as a joke.

No matter how funny you think it would be I can guarantee you the joke defense won't cut it in court.
Court? Has anyone been charged by Police? No.

I never said it was funny nor am I defending him.
But comparing something that happened to our then skipper 9 years ago to paint some ‘anti Bulldog agenda’ followed by some story (that I didn’t even read) about an American boxer (from what I saw) is odd.

Even Ciraldo framed it as ‘not too serious’ and the NRL have made the call - Hetherington gets a week for being an idiot and he deserves it.
1713759142174.gif

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What a fucking joke, so Mahoney gets a fine for walking down the tunnel and not fighting back?
No, Reed got fined for his original indiscretion on the field. Hetherington gets a week for the tunnel stunt.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No, Reed got fined for his original indiscretion on the field. Hetherington gets a week for the tunnel stunt.
That's farcical also ... Plenty of other opportunities missed to fine players if anything Mahoney did on the field was worthy of suspension. Latrell not even fined for swearing multiple times in interview.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That's farcical also ... Plenty of other opportunities missed to fine players if anything Mahoney did on the field was worthy of suspension. Latrell not even fined for swearing multiple times in interview.
Think it’s more that Reed started pointing to the tunnel and clapping Hetherington off rather than the original shirt fronting by both players, which is what they both got binned for. I agree Mitchell should’ve been fined - they’re all examples of dopey behaviour that the NRL claims they’re trying to set standards on.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Think it’s more that Reed started pointing by to the tunnel and clapped Hetherington off rather than the original shirt fronting by both players, which is what they both got binned for. I agree Mitchell should’ve been fined - they’re all examples of dopey behaviour that the NRL claims they’re trying to set standards on.
Yeah but NRL can't justify a fine for clapping and being cheeky, that's outrageous... Sin bin is sufficient but even that is pushing it.

I understand the rhetoric about yappy players being protected via the no punch rule etc. but to threaten characters in the game for harmless behaviour that adds to their entertainment is wild.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m not a sensitive Karen, my overall opinion isn’t going to be loved by a lot. Firstly, I believe whatever happens on the field stays on the field. But, this wasn’t on the field, and while it looks fairly tame, it’s not a great look for a couple main reasons. 1. Taking this too far off the field, I coach young kids and I don’t want any carry on after games in the car park because some kid seen this and thinks it’s ok. 2. Reed has his head down, wasn’t prepared for it and it nudges close to the coward punch territory imo. Not the force or placement of the punch/push, but the act of striking someone who isn’t even aware they are in that position. Reed couldn’t know that force was coming. Hethrington bounces around on his toes and smiles, if it were me I’d say this bloke
Is cool, he’s over it and having a play. But the force of the blow suggests otherwise. It was like a sucker punch. Now If these two shaped up on the field and threw haymakers I’d be the first to jump up and cheer, one on one with both ready for whatever the outcome of it was. But in this situation it’s just not a good look for the game.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but NRL can't justify a fine for clapping and being cheeky, that's outrageous... Sin bin is sufficient but even that is pushing it.

I understand the rhetoric about yappy players being protected via the no punch rule etc. but to threaten characters in the game for harmless behaviour that adds to their entertainment is wild.
That’s as much as I saw at the game, I don’t know if there’s more to it. Maybe Reed got lippy within earshot of the ref too, I don’t know - but I think Hetherington has the bigger punishment - how it should be too.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who was the Bulldogs staffer standing next to Hetherington with a smile on his face? Goodwin was walking with Mahoney and pushed Hetherington away. Question has to be asked of Newcastle, where were your staff?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What did Reed actually do?
They both got binned for the shirtfront.
When Hetherington got marched first, Reed loudly broke out into cheering and clapping and pointing towards the tunnel. Not a big deal most would (fairly) say but that’s when the ref called him over and said he ‘went on with it’. That’s what the fine is for - not the shirt front and not the tunnel. I’m not saying what I think is right or wrong - just what I think happened.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Righto. The ‘bare facts’ also are that Bupa acknowledged he was in the wrong when he was charged with dissent and comparing the two incidents makes no sense. But happy to leave it there :-).
The bare facts of it are you're once again going off on irrelevant tangents, no where did I mention if Bupa's suspension was justified or not.

The question is the very subjective interpretation of a "tough stance" the NRL choose to apply their laws.