Opinion Sam Hughes

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ive watched all the podcasts in the off season, ones with curran, burto, kiraz, preston and Edwards, all raving about Sam Hughes, is this guy gonna be our next big thing? Didnt impress me that much last year, but apparently had an injury.
Yeah I reckon he will go ok. He was signed by Parra Mathews Cup from the Sharks and had wraps comparing him to Campbell Gillard. Gus reckons he could have a breakout season. He was an under 18 Blues and seems to have the size and ability, especially good on the edge and in the red zone.

I think he's had a long apprenticeship for whatever reasons, injury changing clubs but being his 2nd year with the Dogs and being fit and injury free I think he will go ok. He has too lol as we need him.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I make a prediction on Sam Hughes.

The guy is fit and strong, but has a lot of match experience needed before he develops the techniques in defense and running to make him consistent and more damaging.

I believe he will be slow for another 6-8 weeks, but, when this guy kicks into his groove at the first grade level, he is going to be a forward version of Kiks.

This guy committed to training and smashed everyone at all metrics. He is now slowly figuring out how to develop his game in all the areas that he is out of his depth with - that will not last for long - he will work it out and when he does, he will become a State of Origin player. I would say, we will get the benefits later in the season, but SOO 2025 is likely to have Sam Hughes in the team, even if its introducing him to camp first.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I make a prediction on Sam Hughes.

The guy is fit and strong, but has a lot of match experience needed before he develops the techniques in defense and running to make him consistent and more damaging.

I believe he will be slow for another 6-8 weeks, but, when this guy kicks into his groove at the first grade level, he is going to be a forward version of Kiks.

This guy committed to training and smashed everyone at all metrics. He is now slowly figuring out how to develop his game in all the areas that he is out of his depth with - that will not last for long - he will work it out and when he does, he will become a State of Origin player. I would say, we will get the benefits later in the season, but SOO 2025 is likely to have Sam Hughes in the team, even if its introducing him to camp first.
The aggression he's shown is something we've been missing for quite some time.
Might be seeing the development of our pack's Alpha-Dog. *fingers crossed*

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The aggression he's shown is something we've been missing for quite some time.
Might be seeing the development of our pack's Alpha-Dog. *fingers crossed*
I forgot to mention that his aggression is already on show - the way he ragdolled Sualli into the ground - it shows he already knows what kind of player he wants to be - the alpha of the pack for sure! :grinning:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s really starting to grow on me , there is a bit of shit in this kid and I love it. The more confidence/ game time he gets the better he’s going to go. The sin bin last night was a ridiculous call from the bunker. The exciting thing about him is that he’s young, fresh and his ceiling could be anything.

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Still got a lot of development in him, let's wait and see.

He spent 2 years at parra with injuries and hardly any game time.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Top 3/4 prop… why not !! And a killer left edge, don’t mind if we do.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’s really starting to grow on me , there is a bit of shit in this kid and I love it. The more confidence/ game time he gets the better he’s going to go. The sin bin last night was a ridiculous call from the bunker. The exciting thing about him is that he’s young, fresh and his ceiling could be anything.
Reminds me of Paul Chief Harrigon. Kid can be anything if he stays fit.

Gus and Sharpie can really find a diamond in thee rough... JUST NOT A FCUKIN HB! :tearsofjoy:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Progressing nicely into the season, see him as a long term fairly dominant prop for us as he continues developing, the signs so far are quite good.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminds me of Paul Chief Harrigon. Kid can be anything if he stays fit.

Gus and Sharpie can really find a diamond in thee rough... JUST NOT A FCUKIN HB! :tearsofjoy:
Not yet, but it'll happen.

Talent follows talent.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not yet, but it'll happen.

Talent follows talent.
We dont need talent atm, we have that in spades coming through the system. What we need is capable... We also have money... Should have been an easy get for Gould tbh.