Ciraldo’s selection headache after storm thriller

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has found himself in a peculiar position — and is facing some big selection calls — after his side delivered arguably their best performance of the season.

Sure, the Dogs put 32 unanswered points on the Titans in Round 3, but on Friday night they were the better side for majority of their clash with heavyweights Melbourne Storm — despite losing by two points.

And that was without regular starters Jacob Preston (jaw), Blake Wilson (illness), Kurt Mann (hand), Max King (wrist), Kurtis Morrin (suspension) and Blake Taaffe (head knock).

Ciraldo was forced to shuffle his team to cover those absences and that has uncovered a red-hot backline that could be the way forward.

Josh Addo-Carr bagged a hat-trick, Jacob Kiraz had a blinder on the wing, while Bronson Xerri got a second game in the centres — and this time looked a lot better off a full week of preparation. Xerri, who was thrust in last round with minimal notice, finished with a try assist, a linebreak assist, two linebreaks, four tackle busts and 174 running metres. His natural speed off the mark was a noticeable asset for the Dogs too.

Many assumed Stephen Crichton would shift to fullback to cover for Taaffe but instead Ciraldo went with Connor Tracey and it was a masterstroke. Tracey, who notched up a linebreak assist, three tackle busts and 126 metres, was tough, reliable and his work-rate had similarities to that of Dylan Edwards. And that was with a calf niggle, which he picked up in Round 5.

Taaffe is due to return from a concussion in Round 7 but does he walk back into the fullback role? Many will say no.

And that’s not the only selection head ache Ciraldo will have this week. Calls for Drew Hutchison to be dropped for Toby Sexton are growing louder and it’s something the coach can’t ignore for much longer.

Sexton was brought to the club mid-2023 for his footy smarts and because he’s a genuine halfback but fell behind Hutchison on the pecking order coming into this season.

New recruit Hutchison thrived in the Roosters system as a back-up playmaker because all he needed to do was nail the basics when he played in the halves. But it’s a much bigger job at the Bulldogs and after six weeks the jury is out on whether he is the right answer at No.7.

The Bulldogs had several opportunities to seal the game at AAMI Park but blew them with their questionable end-of-set options — like the two occasions Hutchison passed to Crichton on the last tackle with the star centre forced to put in grubbers.

Sexton has been patiently waiting in the wings — he’s been 18th man for three games — but perhaps it’s time to see what he can do.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is the week we make our moves to break into the top 8.
Newcastle average and tigers can be terrible ,as long as we improve and play to same standard we should have 6 points our way.
Let’s work hard and get this season moving up ⬆

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't care who's in or who's out. We as a club are fully invested for the first time in 8 seasons. It's time to smack the knights, have the bye, then smack the tigers. Let's get moving towards that top 8. This group is very capable!

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The backline last week was as strong as we've had in ages and CC surely needs to stick with it.
He needs to find a spot for Taaffe in the 17 and now might be a chance to give up on the Hutchinson experiment as our 7.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 1-6 is now settled tough on Taafe and Wilson them the breaks though. The no.7 is the big one. Do we stick by Hutchinson, do we use Taafe who hasn't played there since juniors, do we go back to Sexton or do we look at someone else in the lower grades?

Backrow at full strength is settled it's Kikau, Preston and Mann.

Curran is best off the bench and playing 60mins from there. He can play edge or middle so he has a bit of options.

I like Hayward at 14.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The backline last week was as strong as we've had in ages and CC surely needs to stick with it.
He needs to find a spot for Taaffe in the 17 and now might be a chance to give up on the Hutchinson experiment as our 7.
If Ciraldo cannot bring himself to "drop" Hutchison before the bye, then another option is to name Taaffe at 14 (Hayward back to Cup, for now, unfortunately) and bring him into the 7 role at some stage - Hutchison gets a rest, or plays lock - especially if we're struggling for points after the first 15-20mins.

I'd prefer the positive action with a straight up replacement of Hutchison with Sexton on Tuesday afternoon, but history suggests Ciraldo is unlikely to do this.

I think Morrin will come straight back in for Kautonga. I'd also move Curran back to 2nd row (for Salmon) or Lock (for Turpin) with either moving back to the bench and Big Sam starting up front.

When Mann's available. He comes straight in for Turpin or Salmon and probably starts at lock. And when Preston returns, whoever remains from Turpin/Salmon is probably back with Mick Potter for a while.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Keep Tracey at 1. Drop hutch and start taafe at 7.

It’s a no brainer
Agreed, I'd like to see this

Based on the few weeks performance
1. Tracey
6. Burton
7. Taafe

Tbh, what I noticed when we didn't have Taafe on the field is the lurking support plays. Taafe looked immaculate against the Roosters before he got knocked out.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is the week we make our moves to break into the top 8.
Newcastle average and tigers can be terrible ,as long as we improve and play to same standard we should have 6 points our way.
Let’s work hard and get this season moving up ⬆
Newcastle will be a challenge..no easy beats...we desperately need to win this game

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, I'd like to see this

Based on the few weeks performance
1. Tracey
6. Burton
7. Taafe

Tbh, what I noticed when we didn't have Taafe on the field is the lurking support plays. Taafe looked immaculate against the Roosters before he got knocked out.
Most bunny supporters I know thought Taafe was the right replacement for Adam Reynolds but for some strange reason, Demetriou went for the likes of Ilias.
I'm beginning to like Taafe. Seems to have that composed creativity and has good tenacity for a little bloke. Defensively, i think he can go ok there and Pteston and Crichton are more than capable to give him the protection a halfback needs.
It was a shame Connor Tracey was injured in the off season. Him training at fullback would have given us more halfback rehearsals and offer us more options.

chihuahua dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't care who's in or who's out. We as a club are fully invested for the first time in 8 seasons. It's time to smack the knights, have the bye, then smack the tigers. Let's get moving towards that top 8. This group is very capable!

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk
After watching them yesterday Tiger look very smackable

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Connor is more suitable for what we need at the back, and he has a height advantage, meanwhile if we give Taaffe a crack in the halves he won't be getting manhandled on play one every time, plus he is crafty and will trouble defence with his pace. My opinion anyway.