Other News Source Nelson Asofa-Solomona On The Outer At Melbourne - Reports

Juniorluke

Waterboy
Reaction score
OMG… the guy can’t crack Parra’s Reggie’s team, yet we’re rumoured to have signed this flop…. Don’t tell me it’s a Top 30 deal too??
no second tier. He played off the bench in NSW cup yesterday. You need these type of signings for times like this when injuries hit

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This is a prime example of believing something and then looking for things to reinforce that belief;
You're ignoring the fact they have the best yardage back 3 in the comp. Taaffe and JAC can't do the same thing.
Very selective, Penrith's back 5 make the yardage and our back 5 are not that shabby, JAC/Wilson, Taaffe, Crichton, Kiraz, Tracey, all of them are averaging over 100 metres a game. Of course that doesn't suite your argument so you reduce it to a cherry picked 2. It doesn't matter whether the back 5 gains metres by speed or by size/power, the only thing that matters is gaining the metres.

from that, "size" is this catch-all term that people use to define the fact that we get run over by the big packs. It's not that we don't have Hughes and King, it's that when they're not on the field, our middle is often something like Curran, Mann and Salmon or Morrin.
'Size" is often irrelevant, using your Penrith argument To'o is hardly sizeable. Again you cherry pick and ignore our sizeable forwards, Kautoga, Sutton, Preston, Paolo, Farmer Silly, Knight. I can't say as any pack this season has "run over" us, in the games this season where we haven't gone so well it's been Time in Possession that has killed us, Parramatta 59/41 and Cronulla 55/45.

There's no stat for it, but the eye test suggests we are the worst team at putting players on the grass and dominating the wrestle. This is why we get pinged for ruck infringements so much, trying to hold down but haven't earnt the right.
No one single stat, but there are a couple that give a pretty good indication. Using the last game, play the Ball Speed, Chooks 3.55 secs us 3.33 secs, Average Set Distance, Chooks 30.85 metres, us 40.47 metres, even Post Contact Metres doesn't show any big disadvantage, Chooks 506, us 494. I seem to recall many comments that the Titans pack was going to roll over us, Tino would dominate, plainly that didn't happen. So far this season we don't seem to be doing too bad in the "wrestle" stakes by the stats or the eye test.

Always a Bulldog

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is a prime example of believing something and then looking for things to reinforce that belief;
Very selective, Penrith's back 5 make the yardage and our back 5 are not that shabby, JAC/Wilson, Taaffe, Crichton, Kiraz, Tracey, all of them are averaging over 100 metres a game. Of course that doesn't suite your argument so you reduce it to a cherry picked 2. It doesn't matter whether the back 5 gains metres by speed or by size/power, the only thing that matters is gaining the metres.

'Size" is often irrelevant, using your Penrith argument To'o is hardly sizeable. Again you cherry pick and ignore our sizeable forwards, Kautoga, Sutton, Preston, Paolo, Farmer Silly, Knight. I can't say as any pack this season has "run over" us, in the games this season where we haven't gone so well it's been Time in Possession that has killed us, Parramatta 59/41 and Cronulla 55/45.

No one single stat, but there are a couple that give a pretty good indication. Using the last game, play the Ball Speed, Chooks 3.55 secs us 3.33 secs, Average Set Distance, Chooks 30.85 metres, us 40.47 metres, even Post Contact Metres doesn't show any big disadvantage, Chooks 506, us 494. I seem to recall many comments that the Titans pack was going to roll over us, Tino would dominate, plainly that didn't happen. So far this season we don't seem to be doing too bad in the "wrestle" stakes by the stats or the eye test.

Always a Bulldog
Not sure if it's cherry picking to select the tackle 1 and 2 from both teams, but I'm more than happy to play the stats game on the back 5 from both teams.

1712535104304.png

If we are to be successful, that deficit needs to made up somewhere and right now, our middle simply can't make up that margin due to a lack of go forward/size/dominance.

It's no mystery that we've been bottom 5 finishers the last 5 years and we are the worst yardage team over the same span and the best yardage team in the comp over the last 5 years has 3 premierships.

It would be a worthwhile stat to count how many times a team is unable to put a player on the grass, like I said, I don't have that stat but based on the eye test, I think we are far and away the worst team for this.

Last edited:

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought NAS was a monster. Thought he was a 150m 35 tackle prop. But it was Bromwich in his prime playing behind Cronk and smith that was that player not NAS. I guess watching him live compared to what he actually did was vastly different. Quality prop, not sure on his health and fitness but walks into our team as our best prop.

If he would even be released or if he’d be happy at belmore are different stories. But at $850k you’d almost pull the trigger. Atleast until some of our pups will be ready in a year or 2. Way better then Taumololo.
Would just be a great add into our team on his aggression alone. We are severely lacking that up front.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure if it's cherry picking to to select the tackle 1 and 2 from both teams, but I'm more than happy to play the stats game on the back 5 from both teams.

View attachment 105913

If we are to be successful, that deficit needs to made up somewhere and right now, our middle simply can't make up that margin due to a lack of go forward/size/dominance.

It's no mystery that we've been bottom 5 finishes the last 5 years and we are the worst yardage team over the same span and the best yardage team in the comp over the last 5 years has 3 premierships.

It would be a worthwhile stat to count how many times a team is unable to put a player on the grass, like I said, I don't have that stat but based on the eye test, I think we are far and away the worst team for this.
Thanks for posting the Stats.

The problem with looking at Running Metres alone is that it is dramatically affected by Time in Possession, if you don't have the ball you don't run any metres. Our problem has been retaining possession, we have been on the wrong side of the time in possession stat. In an average game each side runs around 1500 metres, the deficit is a small % and less than the distance of 3 of Burton's average kicks for field position. Each team has different assets and uses them accordingly. Take out Edwards, who is a freak, and the result is pretty close.

Previous seasons are irrelevant, it's this season that matters and we have a bunch of players that are different, notice the improvement from 590 to 643 and that increases as the season has progressed. I do note that you left out Tracey, his average this season is 176, which lifts our Back 5 average noticeably. Plus Taaffe only played 27 minutes last game, so his average is skewed downwards as a result.

In regards to "putting a player on the grass", the best measure we have is Play the Ball speed which is really the only measure that really matters. Which this season we are doing pretty well at, faster than the Chooks, faster than the Titans and faster than Cronulla. The only time we have had a slightly slower play the ball speed (0.13 secs) is the Parramatta Round 1 game which is hardly surprising since we had such little ball.

Not in any way saying that we don't have some distance to go, but we are absolutely on the right track.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Would just be a great add into our team on his aggression alone. We are severely lacking that up front.
Controlled aggression definitely but NAS is facing a few weeks on the sideline after his uncontrolled aggression in NSW Cap last weekend. He gets away with a lot of shit because he plays for Melbourne, playing for the Bears may well have showed what could happen if he plays for another NRL club.

Always a Bulldog

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it's cherry picking to to select the tackle 1 and 2 from both teams, but I'm more than happy to play the stats game on the back 5 from both teams.

View attachment 105913

It's no mystery that we've been bottom 5 finishes the last 5 years and we are the worst yardage team over the same span and the best yardage team in the comp over the last 5 years has 3 premierships.

This does not really tell us much other than Panthers play a different style of footy. Just because
Controlled aggression definitely but NAS is facing a few weeks on the sideline after his uncontrolled aggression in NSW Cap last weekend. He gets away with a lot of shit because he plays for Melbourne, playing for the Bears may well have showed what could happen if he plays for another NRL club.

Always a Bulldog
i saw that, looked ugly haha it’s almost like he’s trying to get sacked fro Storm haha
Yeah he will cop it a lot more with us but I think his aggression will be a positive for our forwards

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s good if he plays against us, he’s currently unfit, that favours us if we play with some tempo - and we have to, it’s the only way we’re going to trouble these guys….. keeping completions high, generate some ruck speed and come in with that pack mentality.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s good if he plays against us, he’s currently unfit, that favours us if we play with some tempo - and we have to, it’s the only way we’re going to trouble these guys….. keeping completions high, generate some ruck speed and come in with that pack mentality.
If he plays it'll be a low minute role off the bench, he's very destructive in that role even if unfit.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if it's cherry picking to select the tackle 1 and 2 from both teams, but I'm more than happy to play the stats game on the back 5 from both teams.

View attachment 105913

It's no mystery that we've been bottom 5 finishers the last 5 years and we are the worst yardage team over the same span and the best yardage team in the comp over the last 5 years has 3 premierships.

Has jac played a full game this year?