OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Round 5 | Bulldogs 30 - 26 Roosters

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok, the negativity never ceases to amaze me.Rather than focus on the second half, remember that you led 18-0 and were destroying a star studded club before the mayhem began.
At 26-0 and with an extra player complacency set in. It was never going to be a 40 point victory. At no stage did I think in the second half the Roosters would win. I told everyone to relax at 26-20.
At The end of the day, the Bulldogs beat the Roosters who had 13 fucking internationals in their 17.
People have forgotten to "always look on the bright side of life" :grinning:
No excuses for the collapse but there is one a legit reason that can't be ignored
It was a wet night got worse in the second half by the deluge that forced us to stop playing expensive football adopting the safer football that suited their much bigger pack allowing them to dominate and force mistakes 6 agains and penalties and lack of possession causing the big shift in momentum...
It happens, Years ago our prop Peter Kelly was sent off on kickoff against Souffs, it din't stop us winning 26-2.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As disappointed as I was with the second half, we hung on. Don't forget losing a player can lift a side and the Roosters didn't give in. They lost a player due to concussion from a collision, we lost a player with concussion due to foul play . We got a replacement ,they didn't. Both fullbacks. We had to rethink rotation with both Patolo and then Edwards being injured. Yeah they lost Young for the last 54 minutes but we lost one of our spine for the same period of time. Then they lost Radley for the last 7 1/2 minutes. They did score and convert in that time but we held on.

In the aftermath we find that another two of our blokes in Tracey and Mann had calf issue and broken hand respectively. Kikau went down and we were missing a couple of our starting side from previous weeks and lost one prior to the game.

We could probably say that we were trying to defend the lead and that may very well be the case. Hopefully we learn from that.

In the end we held them out and that is probably a different result last year. I can see change and a better resilience, we have to get used to winning games again in clusters not one week then lose etc...Close in our losses and at least an inkling of a legitimate attacking plan. We were cruising in the first half so much so that even I was scratching my head at how easy we were doing it. Passes stuck. We were getting penalties etc. Then second half we were penalised 4 times and infringed 2 to the Roosters 1 penalty with eight to go. Possession swung their way in the second half to just about equal our first half.

steveturner

Waterboy
Reaction score
Thought the boys really stood up in the second half, if we keep that performance for next week we should secure the 2 points over Melbourne

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep sexton only played for 25 mins, if he had played for more we would have lost the game, Hutch isn’t “my man” he’s just the best halfback at the club ATM that’s what spuds like you don’t understand. But sure just keep rotating halves for the sake of it. Thank fuck Ciraldo is calling the shots and not the muppets on here.
Yeh, thank Fuck, Thats why we are sitting 14th on the ladder, that's why we couldn't beat a struggling South Sydney side when we had enough ball and field position to win two games, that's why we nearly got done by the Roosters who lost their Full back, Halfback and their star winger and where down to eleven men, after leading 26 nil , thank Fuck that under CC super coach we won 6 out of 26 games last year and almost got the spoon except they recruited Sexton, When are you going to wake up to the fact Hutch is not the best half at our club , he is much to slow and would not make reserve grade halfback in any other team in the NRL as the Majority of us are saying on TK, you try to defend the indefensible, Maybe you are the biggest Spud Muppet on this whole forum or maybe you're just a TROLL.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh, thank Fuck, Thats why we are sitting 14th on the ladder, that's why we couldn't beat a struggling South Sydney side when we had enough ball and field position to win two games, that's why we nearly got done by the Roosters who lost their Full back, Halfback and their star winger and where down to eleven men, after leading 26 nil , thank Fuck that under CC super coach we won 6 out of 26 games last year and almost got the spoon except they recruited Sexton, When are you going to wake up to the fact Hutch is not the best half at our club , he is much to slow and would not make reserve grade halfback in any other team in the NRL as the Majority of us are saying on TK, you try to defend the indefensible, Maybe you are the biggest Spud Muppet on this whole forum or maybe you're just a TROLL.
Yosemite Sam would say "Them there's are fighting words boy..."

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember GB played against the Kangaroos with 12 men for 79 mins after Morley was sent off from the kick off after a swinging arm on Robbie Kearns and they almost won.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bro Hutch and Cronk don’t belong in the same sentence , one won multiple premierships including one with one working shoulder, origin dynasty and internationals.

The other is Hutch
Yeah and he was part of the dynasty of Qlders with Thurston, Slater and Smith who dominated for 10 or so years. Yeah fair enough but I wasn't meaning Hutch was on par talent wise but more in the style of Cronk.

I remember Joey Johns talking about Cronk and how he wasn't seen as a good half when he began but the Storm developed him to play that role. But Cronks wasn't really a creative half but rather filled the role of half very well. But he didn't have that x factor like say compared to Thurston or even Hynes who have creativity where they can create something out of nothing.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was just looking at the table and Dogs sit 14th at the moment. But the good think with that win is that we are on the same points (4) as all sides above us up to 8th. The other good thing is half the sides in the top 8 have already had a bye. So technically we are on the same points as all sides above us up to the top 4.

I think thats how important to win against the Roosters is regardless of how we won. It keeps our finals hopes alive as thats what every player wants to do.

Its been a strange start to the comp with lower sides from last season winning like the Dragons and Tigers and with top sides like Roosters and Souths performing badly. It seems more open comp so far. But its a long season.

But I still think if we can jag another 2 if not 3 wins in this first half of the comp we may be in at least with a shot at trying to get into the 8 or come close. Two wins plus the bye would give us 10 points and if 24 or 26 is the cut off then we would need to win around half our games in the second half of the comp. I expect we will do well during SOO with other teams missing platers. Our for ans against is not too bad either compared to other teams.

I think we will be a better side in the second half of the comp with more experience and cohesion. Hopefully Fifita is ready to go and with him and Hughes up front and more confidence I think we can at least make it hard for other teams to make the 8.

Reactions: ATT

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You must have two dicks, you can’t get that stupid pulling one.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's nothing good about his game.. defensively meh, his attack is Tolman on the 4th, and his kicking is weak
He has straightened our attack more than Flanagan ever did. We are going okay and improving so I can see why ciraldo doesn’t want to change the status quo. I think he has a good passing game and links well with Burton but yes he is running the ball way too many times in the 20 m attacking zone and on the 4th tackle. He is overplaying his hand when he doesn’t need to

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had no right to win tonight. Odds were against us. 2 points is 2 points.

The foundation is good. We can play football just need to motor the entire 80.
Exactly! Besides round one, I’ve actually enjoyed watching our games this year. Effort is there.
Tough draw to start the year against quality opponents. Could have beaten the sharks, should have beaten the rabbits , winners against titans and roosters.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a fan of Critta at FB but I also wanna see him play there on a dry track.
The secret to success imo is having a fullback with speed+xfactor who support plays, wingers who are tall and fast , centres who can offload

with taafe at the back, Critta + Kiraz centres, xerri , fox , Tracey and Wilson wingers we have the perfect balance . Don’t need to reshuffle

Bullfrog2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was just looking at the table and Dogs sit 14th at the moment. But the good think with that win is that we are on the same points (4) as all sides above us up to 8th. The other good thing is half the sides in the top 8 have already had a bye. So technically we are on the same points as all sides above us up to the top 4.

I think thats how important to win against the Roosters is regardless of how we won. It keeps our finals hopes alive as thats what every player wants to do.

Its been a strange start to the comp with lower sides from last season winning like the Dragons and Tigers and with top sides like Roosters and Souths performing badly. It seems more open comp so far. But its a long season.

But I still think if we can jag another 2 if not 3 wins in this first half of the comp we may be in at least with a shot at trying to get into the 8 or come close. Two wins plus the bye would give us 10 points and if 24 or 26 is the cut off then we would need to win around half our games in the second half of the comp. I expect we will do well during SOO with other teams missing platers. Our for ans against is not too bad either compared to other teams.

I think we will be a better side in the second half of the comp with more experience and cohesion. Hopefully Fifita is ready to go and with him and Hughes up front and more confidence I think we can at least make it hard for other teams to make the 8.
I think we are going to struggle in the short term we have too many injuries. Losing the south’s game hurt us the most. I don’t know why our effort dropped in the second half against the roosters (possibly injuries). That said the roosters effort first half was horrendous.
Most importantly if we play with the effort that was shown in the first half against the roosters, first 60 minutes against sharks and full 80 minutes against
the bunnies for every minute of every game for the rest of the season regardless of who we play in what position we are semi finals bound.
Gut feel is it will go to shit at some point we are not quite there yet.
I was most impressed with Blake Taaffe this week he was a superstar, I hope the head knock has not sent him backwards with his confidence. He schooled Dominic Young with that sideline tackle. 2 weeks suspension for that head high shot is horrible, shame NRL.

Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck.... to say I was angry with our team in the second half would be an understatement.

But on reflection you can see how the roosters were able to dominate us all things considered.

The main thing was mental.
At 26 to nill up, against a team who lost their star fullback to a head knock, a player sent off and a halfback off also with a head knock it would have been very easy for the dogs to mentally drop off and essentially check out.
No doubt in their minds they had the game won and was just going through the motions.

On the other side, the roosters, on the back of Luke Keary in my opinion, went out with the intent to claw back some pride.
They had it all to play for and managed to get momentum despite being a man down and losing 2 key players to head knocks.

Once they got momentum they were hard to stop and got the dogs on the back foot
When that happens, the mistakes creep in and the 6 agains mount and that fuels the momentum.

What the roosters game identified more than any game previously is the simple fact we don't have a true leader in our team.

We need a dominate halfback who reads the game and sets up the plays.

Luke Keary got the roosters in that game against all odds.
We couldn't change momentum because we didn't have a player in our team capable of doing it.

To further ram home this point.
This is the reason the roosters got rid of Mitch Pearce for Cooper cronk.
The 2 premierships the roosters managed were on the back of cronk.

The state of origin dominance from Queensland, was on the back of superior halves and game management, to change momentum and ice the wins when it counted.

The origin win last year when the blues had it won and Queensland cane from behind to win with a man down, was on the back of smart plays identify what needed to happen I'm the moment.

For all the talk about who the coach should pick and shouldng pick from arm chair coaches here on the kennel, I tell you this.

Until we get a REAL halfback, we won't be climbing up the ladder.

Our current squad is not far off.
Taafe despite the criticism from those that don't know what they are talking about is actually developing well at fullback.
Barba dropped plenty of balls early on at fullback, just remember that.
I think taafe will be fine at fullback long term.
Critta is one of the best centres in the game. He should remain there.

Burton is a great 5 8th, just needs a good halfback running the game and Burton with thrive at 5 8th on the back of that.

Another front rower would be nice.

But halfback is where its at.
We need a smart game manager on the field who knows how to win games and can execute plays and controll a game.
We simply don't have that.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares if it’s the wrong call?
We get dud calls most games it was great for the dogs finally a call went Our way. How many times have we seen a hip drop on our players and nothing they have to play the ball. Pretty certain there has been 3 or 4 already this season
I agree we have been the victims of some bad calls from the bunker when it comes to these. But its the ref in the bunker that has screwed us, not so much the one on the field.

I can see that you consider it as payback, a part of me does too. But all it does is create inconsistency and its wrong both times

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sure people have said previously that he could still be the main kicker at centre, but it’s simply not realistic. Being two positions wider, kicking from centre is not ideal AT ALL. That’s the main reason I wouldn’t move him from 5/8th. We struggled without a big kick downfield to force the Rorts back.
I think thats abit shallow minded....

It was done in Origin with only 1 weeks preparation and it can be done here as well. We just havent practised it.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got some winnable games coming up, hope the guys not as busted as everyone saying. Knights and tigers just around the corner. Hope chooks fire up next week and belt the crap out of knights.
After what knights did to us in the 2 games last year....and their recent record with us, im fearing this game more than any other - even Penrith.