News Canterbury backrower Viliame Kikau says Bulldogs won’t be the club to milk obstruction penalties

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Telegraph Sport

Viliame Kikau believes some rivals could be milking obstruction penalties but has declared Canterbury will not be the kind of club that takes a dive to get the upper hand over an opponent.

The obstruction rule is back in the spotlight after the NRL conceded the Bunker should not have penalised Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves for running through the line and blocking Dylan Edwards, who was 20 metres away from the play, from getting to Joey Manu.

The Bunker has been zealously policing obstructions leading to suggestions players are being incentivised to take a dive when coming into contact with a lead runner.

“I think it’s an each to their own kind of thing. We are not trying to introduce that in our club here. We are trying to build a hard working team and not play for milking penalties,” Kikau said.

“I just try and get out of the way, it can be a bit hard running those lines especially when you have to do your best to get out of the way … from taking (out) players from teams that are milking probably.

“It’s the rule, it’s there. You can only control it and try to make sure tries aren’t taken off us.”

The Bulldogs will be without Jacob Preston for at least a month after the back rower broke his jaw in a collision with South Sydney forward Shaquai Mitchell from the kick-off, another part of the game that is becoming a sore point.

In January the NRL announced that short kick-offs and dropouts will not be penalised if they fail to travel 10 metres in the hope of reducing concussions. But the short-kick off has not been widely adopted.

Bulldogs utility Kurt Mann said heavy collisions on the back of a kick-off are a tackling technique problem and won’t be eradicated by rule changes.

“I don’t think there is too much benefit at the start of the game, footy is a contact sport it always has been,” Mann said.

“That’s what people come to watch, the big collisions, it’s part of the game. I think it’s more of a tackle technique that’s get people in trouble. It’s more of a personal issue than an NRL issue.”

While the obstruction rule and heavy collisions have been a hot button topic, the Bulldogs are focusing all their energy this week on the club’s 2004 title victory against Friday’s opponent, the Roosters.

Coach Cameron Ciraldo organised for the playing group to watch the grand final after Monday’s training session at Belmore.

The entire squad from the 2004 grand final, the last the Bulldogs won a title, will be in the stands at Accor Stadium on Friday night, including Willie Mason Mason and Mark O’Meley, who are coaches in club’s junior pathways.

“We’ve talked about it this morning in our meeting, it’s one of the things that is going to be talked about this week,” Kikau said.

“It’s very special for those players that played in the 2004 grand final. We want to go out this weekend and play our hearts out for them, and play for a win.”

“Big Ogre (O’Meley) is around, big Mase … you can hear his voice in the corridor every afternoon. It’s good to have them around.

“We’ll watch that and base our preparations this week on that game.”

During his time at Penrith, Ciraldo was the mastermind behind the ‘Top Gun’ theme that players used to draw inspiration on their path to back-to-back titles in 2022.

Mann is hoping this week’s grand final theme will spark Canterbury’s season to life.

“I was just a little baby then, but it will be good to sit around with everyone and get a grasp of what their season was like,” Mann said.

“If you have to draw inspiration from other places you’re in the wrong business. It’s up to us, for what we want to build here. If you can’t get yourself up for playing the Roosters, you’re in the wrong sport.”

Flyer Josh Addo-Carr will miss the clash due to the 11-day concussion stand down after a category one head knock after colliding with Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell

Blake Wilson was 18th man in Good Friday’s loss to South Sydney and is expected to be called -up on the wing against the Roosters

Ciraldo is likely to turn to Josh Curran as Preston’s replacement on the edge but also has options in Jaeman Salmon and Kitione Kautoga, who trained with the NRL side on Monday

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But we’ll milk late hit penalties. Lol.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You'd be silly not to but I guess that makes sense with our team/club...

Last edited:

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously?!!!!
Did I just basically read that we won't use the rules to our advantage if we needed to like every other club? WTF!!

Yeh because we have the talent and skill to not need an edge over other teams. Dumb Dumb and just Dumb!!!

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
for the love of god…. STFU Kikau!

why would you not exploit the rules/milking…. Just like that slob Latrell did when Mahoney barely got a finger on him & he fell like a sack of sh1t, resulting in a penalty by that c#nt Sutton & next set they scored a try.

Champions at milking are M Moses, J Reynolds, Jerome Hughes, Fatrell & they’ll keep doing it… so why the hell shouldn’t we?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why not? Maybe the NRL might then change the interpretation of an obstruction because at the moment it's a joke. Even the ref can be an obstruction on the field lol
Because the way he said this actually calls out the milkers without calling them out.

I thought it was obvious enough?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Baa and Corey Hughes used to give up penalties when wanting a breather but the days of super fit discipline is here but there's still room for beg borrow and steal.
Sorry Mr Kickau

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If I was in the 2004 GF winning side, I think I might call in sick on Friday night ....

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As far as milking penalties goes, I hate players that do it. But at the same time I sometimes wish we'd fucking do it because it'd be nice to get the same penalties our opponents do.

But it seems like this might be the thing the club is currently trying to get some leeway/fairness on. Gould also spoke about the obstruction rule being a dogs breakfast with the lack of consistency there. So maybe the current push is about that.

Something needs to be done about these rules that can be interpreted in such broad ways by referees. There's nothing that turns me off games more than seeing the Dogs or any teams chances of winning based on the supposed whims of referees.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hold the pitchforks... I'm with Kikau

Win by working harder and being better. As far as possible, take the clown ref out of the game. We hate getting milked by cat penalties like souffs last week and then we want our players to do the same?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not understanding most of the comments in this thread. Kikz is just staying on message. Obviously most players in our team will milk penalties like everyone else. Except Presto, he is a fkn machine with too much integrity and toughness

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hold the pitchforks... I'm with Kikau

Win by working harder and being better. As far as possible, take the clown ref out of the game. We hate getting milked by cat penalties like souffs last week and then we want our players to do the same?
It's a part of the game until they come up with a solution to stop it. Why disadvantage ourselves. We need all the help we can get.