Opinion Blake Taffee

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was against a poor opposition. We cannot we content with yesterday’s performance. We should always look to improve despite winning. JAC should be able next week and I’ll play Tracey at FB.
I'd understand people not being content after a 2 point win, but a 32-0 whitewash?? Come on mate, just try to smile.

Reactions: J_B

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah, fuck that. Let's create a thread and bag him out for 8 pages, after a win where he played well.
Putting up the bomb is a tactic used by every single half because it can give you a result, even if you do nothing to earn it. Even the best fullbacks will drop a bomb some days.
Taffe was out jumped one one kick last week, and he didn't even leave the ground. But everyone is bagging him, and praising Tracey, who actually dropped a bomb that was very well cleaned up by Taffe.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, fuck that. Let's create a thread and bag him out for 8 pages, after a win where he played well.
Did he really play well? He nearly cost us a try in the first few mins by not jumping to take a bomb. You can’t leave your feet planted to the ground especially when the opposing player is jumping. Other than backing up for a try, he didn’t do much else. He gets driven back almost every run he takes. In my opinion he’s still the weak link in our back 5. He tries hard there’s no doubting that, but the good halves like Cleary and Moses will exploit his weaknesses.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did he really play well? He nearly cost us a try in the first few mins by not jumping to take a bomb. You can’t leave your feet planted to the ground especially when the opposing player is jumping. Other than backing up for a try, he didn’t do much else. He gets driven back almost every run he takes. In my opinion he’s still the weak link in our back 5. He tries hard there’s no doubting that, but the good halves like Cleary and Moses will exploit his weaknesses.
Blinded by the sun he shielded his eyes with his hand, and kept his eye on the ball. He didn't look forward to seeing someone was steaming towards him, as he knew they were, and with the advantage of the sun at his back and a full head of steam, Brimson managed to leap above him and into him, and took the catch. That not poor play or a bad mistake by Taffe, it simply is what it is. The try was somehow fubled anyway.
He backed up Mahoney for a good try, had a try assist to Wilson, and danced his way somehow out of our ingoal after Tracey spilled a bomb. Not a bad day out imo. And certainly not one that deserves such hate. He is just this years scapegoat that everyone will hang shit on. Even after a win it seems.
I think Taffe is doing OK. He is not our long term fb, papali'i is, but for now he is doing an OK job of it, and will only improve as our team on a whole does.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blinded by the sun he shielded his eyes with his hand, and kept his eye on the ball. He didn't look forward to seeing someone was steaming towards him, as he knew they were, and with the advantage of the sun at his back and a full head of steam, Brimson managed to leap above him and into him, and took the catch. That not poor play or a bad mistake by Taffe, it simply is what it is. The try was somehow fubled anyway.
He backed up Mahoney for a good try, had a try assist to Wilson, and danced his way somehow out of our ingoal after Tracey spilled a bomb. Not a bad day out imo. And certainly not one that deserves such hate. He is just this years scapegoat that everyone will hang shit on. Even after a win it seems.
I think Taffe is doing OK. He is not our long term fb, papali'i is, but for now he is doing an OK job of it, and will only improve as our team on a whole does.
Fair enough. I respect your opinion but in my view I think we have better options at fullback for now until Papali’i is ready. I’d personally go with Tracey or Critta at the back

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting up the bomb is a tactic used by every single half because it can give you a result, even if you do nothing to earn it. Even the best fullbacks will drop a bomb some days.
Taffe was out jumped one one kick last week, and he didn't even leave the ground. But everyone is bagging him, and praising Tracey, who actually dropped a bomb that was very well cleaned up by Taffe.
Most people are still worried about the first two games Critta helped him last week

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ohh he'll definitely be smashing maccas after the game, maybe even during. Inhale a big mac before a set and keep some fries handy for when he's in goal
The other thing that’s overlooked is that the titans where using the sun to great effect, he couldn’t see the ball and neither could Wilson.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it really that obvious?? Is Tracey as good a link man as Taaffe?
I get it that he's ahead in the other KPI's - i.e, Taking bombs; Eating up metres & not getting rag-dolled.
Taaffe excites me as a link man and someone who backs up. Bloody hell ...it's feels like ages since we've had someone who has a nose for the ball & backs up "johnny on the spot" type thing. Perhaps as far back as Baaa?
Taaffe backs up AND is a clever link man. Perhaps we need to think outside the box and find a way the team can cover his inadequacies, so that we can cash in on his obvious strengths.
Totally the opposite to Perham btw - who absolutely stifled our attack with thoughtless, selfish running and dreadful passing.
Link man, support play and Johnny on the Spot sounds more like attributes you’d want from a half.

With the way the game is with 6 against last thing you need is a fullback that can’t take contested kicks. Drops the first kick cold in round 2. Don’t think he caught one in belmore. To the point he was afraid to go for them.

I agree with you his game had some upsides. But he might be the ideal 6 or 7. As a fullback he might have great support play but his diffusing of kicks and yardage would be down there with the worst of any fullback in the comp.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like it or not, Taffe is a confidence player. He is not one of those players like Johnathan Thurston who will find a way to dig deep when the chips down. I think that with the confidence he got from last week he will play well against Souths, but only time will tell. He is a step up from Perham who we had at 1 for the 1st 12 weeks (?) of last season .... I think that he will come good this week.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's too small.. against the better sides they will destroy him...
Tracey needs to be fullback...
Kiraz had his best game yesterday too which is something..
Taffe cannot play fullback
Fullbacks are protected almost like halfbacks these days, he'll be alright. A confident big body Latrell isn't doing much more even on a decent day he doesn't yardage much, besides the odd occasion he does something special in attack.
In open play, support play, scheming, or playmaking, Taaffe could be dangerous, he'd be useful there.

Yet to see a situation where he needs to put his body on the line or try savers but he does get in on bombs so he's showing good signs but is going to stay open for debate. Dogs are building, happy to wait and see what happens, definitely not pre judging or death riding Taaffe

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why would you weaken one position (Crichton at centre) to boost another position (fullback)?
Taaffe is going OK. I would leave him there, and leave Crichton as a centre.
The thing is, Critta sets a good standard and whoever the other centre is would want to match or outperform, we're seeing this with Kiraz, my point is, he's almost benefiting 2 positions crucial for defence, 2 areas we were weak last season, defence around the edges.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My mate worked as strength and conditioning coach at falcons. He said Wilson is the best athlete he's worked with. Very strong through the hips and maintains his balance perfectly whenever changing directions.
To step, change of pace/direction too, not only do you have to be light footed but pound for pound a person has to be strong, obviously well balanced too. I'm not surprised, thanks for the insight.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bench him
Connor Tracey needs to go there

He abit is gittery under the high ball taffe is quick I don’t know maybe he just needs a couple
Games in nsw cup
But he is getting more consistent than before

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can see what cams trying to do backing guys like taafe but its a fine line between picking a player not up to it and backing a player blind freddy can see taafe/hutch/knight should not be in first grade

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most people are still worried about the first two games Critta helped him last week
I get that, and he obviously has some nerves when bombs are put up, but if you want to bag him, do it after round 1 or 2, not after a win.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He would join some notable players who were unmercifully bagged. Thompson, Reynolds, Tolman, Hutchison, Knight, Perham, and a lot more.
Although they may not be top level players, they were the best we had at the time.