Opinion Blake Taffee

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with all this. If Xerri keeps improving/getting back to pre ban levels I would also have him in with Kiraz taking over from Wilson. Kiraz has been pretty good in centre & Wilson ok as well. Wilson just suffers from a smaller frame. If/when Fox is back we can’t afford both wingers to be so small when returning kicks.
On the topic of Xerri, anyone seen him play since the season commenced? How is he going?
Personally, I have Skelton ahead of Xerri in the pecking order of current ability but CC has Xerri ahead of Skelton.

I wouldn’t change the team right now other than Tracey in for Taaffe if Fox comes back.

Burton is still probably a better centre than he is 5/8 and it would be interesting to try Hutch/Sexy combo with Burto and Critta in the centres, but again, given the recent victory, we shouldn’t tinker with anything unless forced to.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taaffe was a little shaky under the high ball, but you have to remember the NRL have changed the rules this year and defensive side is no longer allowed to have blockers to defend a player catching or kicking the ball.

Hence why Kikau absolutely terrorrised Tannah Boyd this week, and also why Taaffe was targeted.

Possibly an idea or Crichton dropping back in defence as fullback with Taaffe coming forwards might work..

Taaffe is talented no doubt, and his turn of pace and footwork catches teams off guard. Plus he can ballplay and support.

But if teams start targeting him, he's going to have a tough one.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Taaffe did it.

Terry Lamb wasn't a fullback, so it wasn't his job to back up?

My point was where were the other players?

Always a Bulldog
The other players were in the same place Taaffe was the week before against Sharks when Burton made the break

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
actually it was impressive that when he dropped that first bomb, he got straight back to his feet, ran back and covered the loose ball on the ground

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I have Skelton ahead of Xerri in the pecking order of current ability but CC has Xerri ahead of Skelton.

I wouldn’t change the team right now other than Tracey in for Taaffe if Fox comes back.

Burton is still probably a better centre than he is 5/8 and it would be interesting to try Hutch/Sexy combo with Burto and Critta in the centres, but again, given the recent victory, we shouldn’t tinker with anything unless forced to.
Interesting, the consensus is Xerri is still a fair way off. I haven’t seen him so can’t argue.
I still think if you can improve a side you do so, win, lose or draw. With that in mid Tracey should come in (if considered fit enough by those who have all the stats) at FB with next man up on the wing, assuming it doesn’t weaken the side..I would love to see Skelo get a game if he was considered ready.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tracey is a utility at best the hard reality is we don’t have a competent fullback until MAYBE the kid is ready. The rest are all C standard at best whether it be Tracey or Taffe both are mediocre
Ok Brendan, well you obviously didn’t watch many sharks games last year.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Brendan, well you obviously didn’t watch many sharks games last year.
I watched most of them and there’s a reason their fullback is picked ahead of him and by a fair distance too. Tracey is a fine no14 but Kurt Mann is even better in that role. Huge problem with our squad are these utilities

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Blake is getting hammered here and i can understand why. Lets look at it. Positives, 110% effort. Support play good. Seems to be at the right place at the right time. Defence ok. Backline passing script ok. Decent speed. Negatives, Gets man handled and driven back. Does not make ground into defence lines.Has a tendency to drop high balls when under pressure. Seems no confidents at present to come into the back line and take on defenders. Inmo these issues can be resolved. Needs to put on some lean weight. The high ball put downs are generally associated with tension. The more tense the body the harder the rebound. Needs to relax and loosen up to become a sponge on impact.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I watched most of them and there’s a reason their fullback is picked ahead of him and by a fair distance too. Tracey is a fine no14 but Kurt Mann is even better in that role. Huge problem with our squad are these utilities
You love to exaggerate, Brendan.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You love to exaggerate, Brendan.
When we move forwrd to being a top 4-6 side we will finally have only one of these utilities and it's probably Kurt Mann, he's a perfect 14.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
actually it was impressive that when he dropped that first bomb, he got straight back to his feet, ran back and covered the loose ball on the ground
His effort levels are great... If he can keep getting involved in attack like he does in D then he will be a fantastic stop gap for a year or 2.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he played well today but i still have huge concerns of him under the high ball, hes managed to drop one every week so far, thinking of him competing vs Mitchell for a high one next week makes me feel nervous. For me, id be bringing Fox in, Tracey to fullback, he on the other hand looked real solid under the high ball and returned it well. As i said Taafe was good today and im so happy with the win, i just worry about these errors vs better sides, we still arent a side that can just cough up easy ball.
I think he has the talent to be a great fb you just have to give him the opportunity and time to grow in confidence, it's one of the hardest positions in rugby league so at least give him this season, CC thinks he's capable of handling the fb position or he would have been gone already and I know Perham was given way to many chances but Taffe is a much better player jmo.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's got good positional play and is a reasonable defender. His height will always be an issue under the high ball unfortunately.. Connor Tracey is an out n out first grader for me but I feel like Taaffe is building into a decent season.. it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Reaction score
CC appears not to be able to see the obvious in anything.. just like last season with Perham, who was Horrendous.. same again this year.. we win NO CHANGE, we lose NO CHANGE.. doesn't make sense.. all the elite coaches make changes if something isn't working.. see Wayne Bennett after round 1 loss, dropped a few..
Is it really that obvious?? Is Tracey as good a link man as Taaffe?
I get it that he's ahead in the other KPI's - i.e, Taking bombs; Eating up metres & not getting rag-dolled.
Taaffe excites me as a link man and someone who backs up. Bloody hell ...it's feels like ages since we've had someone who has a nose for the ball & backs up "johnny on the spot" type thing. Perhaps as far back as Baaa?
Taaffe backs up AND is a clever link man. Perhaps we need to think outside the box and find a way the team can cover his inadequacies, so that we can cash in on his obvious strengths.
Totally the opposite to Perham btw - who absolutely stifled our attack with thoughtless, selfish running and dreadful passing.