Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
link: Cowboys' Neame willing to step into Taumalolo's shoes

' Coach Todd Payten revealed earlier this year that Taumalolo is dealing with a degenerative knee issue which is only going to get worse the longer his career goes on. '
Interesting. Are they trying to manage him through the last four years of his deal or set up an excuse to medically retire? They say they are not interested in moving him on though after the saints approach. Are they going to get value out of his big chunk of the cap? Not playing a lot of minutes

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. Are they trying to manage him through the last four years of his deal or set up an excuse to medically retire? They say they are not interested in moving him on though after the saints approach. Are they going to get value out of his big chunk of the cap? Not playing a lot of minutes
They would have an end game in mind.

I think a lot of it will depend on if he plays ball.

Can't imagine any clubs interested in him with these injuries.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It would be better for the team but expensive to pay him.out and retire him. He wont get signed anywhere so as good as retired just dumping him. If he has the degenerative knee issue they say he has, he is only going to get worse and is useless to the team now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It would be better for the team but expensive to pay him.out and retire him. He wont get signed anywhere so as good as retired just dumping him. If he has the degenerative knee issue they say he has, he is only going to get worse and is useless to the team now.
At this stage they can't medically retire Lolo unless he wants to retire which is unlikely to be the case. I still think he's good enough to do a job but he's nowhere near what he used to be. When Cowboy already have the game won there's little point bringing Lolo back onto the field (why his minutes even lower this year).

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's the issue with mega long term deals. It's nice to lock a star up long term. But if shit goes wrong it's a big deal for the club to medically retired a player on a million or more a year. I don't recall if Taumololo had a ratchet clause. If so by now he'd be on well over a mill a year. So it's a fair chunk of change to come up with 4 plus million for his 4 remaining years. Does the club take that out of their operating costs for the chance to use the million on year on youngsters or just ride on with a declining player and let the NRL pay his wage until he's got to make the call himself and forfeit whatever remains on his contract.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Taumalolo's knee issue is apparently degenerative, so it's getting worse not better. My guess is they will manage his minutes downwards in line with the degeneration, until eventually he can't play enough minutes to justify picking him. Then, with his agreement, they will apply to the NRL for a medical retirement, which I have no doubt would be granted. However many years left on his contract they can then recruit him as part of the coaching team, which means they can still pay him $1m a season but it won't be counted on their Cap.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taumalolo's knee issue is apparently degenerative, so it's getting worse not better. My guess is they will manage his minutes downwards in line with the degeneration, until eventually he can't play enough minutes to justify picking him. Then, with his agreement, they will apply to the NRL for a medical retirement, which I have no doubt would be granted. However many years left on his contract they can then recruit him as part of the coaching team, which means they can still pay him $1m a season but it won't be counted on their Cap.

Always a Bulldog
Don’t the coaching staff have there own seperate salary cap though??

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Did we end up getting dispensation for Jackson? Or was it because he retired not medically he wasnt removed from the cap? I remember there was a hooha about it because he ended up on the staff.

But maybe its one rule for some one for the others type of thing.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Did we end up getting dispensation for Jackson? Or was it because he retired not medically he wasnt removed from the cap? I remember there was a hooha about it because he ended up on the staff.

But maybe its one rule for some one for the others type of thing.
We had to carry ~$200k on our Cap for Jackson as medical retirement takes a 3 way alignment, player, club and NRL medical, we only had 2 out of the 3 because of Jackson's last minute decision to retire.

The Cowboys are setting up Taumalolo's medical retirement in advance by publicising that his knee issue is degenerative, that way they don't need a stand alone incident to trigger his retirement and get NRL medical agreement.

That aside, of course there are different rules for us and everyone else.

Always a Bulldog