Sutton Appointed again to bulldogs vs Rabbitohs game.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If we play with discipline we are fit enough to not let fatigue get in the way, they both go hand in hand for our best chance at winning.

Play stupid and he’s going to ride us hard, it’s clear as day that he’s got a issue with us.
If he had an issue with the club he wouldn’t be allowed to ref: our games at the very least. If he had issues with Bupa and Klem, with the latter still playing did he take it out on the Noughts and Tigtanic? It just shouldn’t be our focus and I bet it’s not for Ciro. We should be our focus so I totally agree with the first part of your post.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he had an issue with the club he wouldn’t be allowed to ref: our games at the very least. If he had issues with Bupa and Klem, with the latter still playing did he take it out on the Noughts and Tigtanic? It just shouldn’t be our focus and I bet it’s not for Ciro. We should be our focus so I totally agree with the first part of your post.
If he treats us exactly the same as souths then we are good.

Hes got a track record of being harsh on us while the other team does the same and worse and go unpunished.

Time will tell

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like many dogs fans, I thought we always got this prick for good friday, but I have bad news for everyone. The stats actually don’t show that. In fact, looking at our record with him overall isn’t the nightmare I expected. The win/loss rate is 17-24. You have to understand though, that the losses overtook the wins 5 or so years ago when we became terrible. It was mostly losses under him (and all refs) since then.

From my rudimentary check he has only refereed in 3 good friday clashes. 2015, 2022 & 23. Was 2015 Black Friday or whatever it’s called? The upcoming game will be his 4th time officiating GF. Suprising huh?

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps people are confusing the issue because there were two games in 2014 that he officiated and we lost both to Souths. One in August, the other was the grand final.

I’m glad I researched this as now I believe that he’s not a factor. Eta: Out of the 372 games he’s been main ref, he has been in charge of our match 41 times, so not much more than 10% of his games. Keep in mind some of those were finals too.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This appointment swings it in Souffs favour. It will be even more embarrassing if they lose with all the ref assists they are going to get.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Like many dogs fans, I thought we always got this prick for good friday, but I have bad news for everyone. The stats actually don’t show that. In fact, looking at our record with him overall isn’t the nightmare I expected. The win/loss rate is 17-24. You have to understand though, that the losses overtook the wins 5 or so years ago when we became terrible. It was mostly losses under him (and all refs) since then.

From my rudimentary check he has only refereed in 3 good friday clashes. 2015, 2022 & 23. Was 2015 Black Friday or whatever it’s called? The upcoming game will be his 4th time officiating GF. Suprising huh?
It’s not surprising and the numbers don’t lie - disproving yet another conspiracy. But anyone with Zilla in their handle likes to go there :-).

Apart from the Bulldogs having ordinary squads 2019-2023, Soufs had much stronger squads in the same period making the 8 every year except 2023 and making top 4 twice including a GF in 2021. It’s only now the tide is turning - we are improving, they are weakening. But some won’t let facts get in the way.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not surprising and the numbers don’t lie - disproving yet another conspiracy. But anyone with Zilla in their handle likes to go there :-).

Apart from the Bulldogs having ordinary squads 2019-2023, Soufs had much stronger squads in the same period making the 8 every year except 2023 and making top 4 twice including a GF in 2021. It’s only now the tide is turning - we are improving, they are weakening. But some won’t let facts get in the way.
We are one of the best fanbases when it comes to having a chip on our shoulders aye?

Like I said, I had the same perception. That’s why I was curious to check the actual stats, and like you said, it also correlates to how good we were at the time. Look at the games between 2009 when Sutton started his career, we won most games he officiated. Then the opposite since 2015.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If We play with discipline makes it harder for them to punish us and if they do it only helps us prove the bias.
Sutton's penalty ratio with us is 0.88, that means for every 100 penalties he gives our opposition in the games he has reffed us, he gives us 88. Not awful right? Could be worse?

His penalty ratio with souffs is 1.3. This is the highest ratio by an active ref in favour of a team.

What the stat hides is the quality of the penalties. Do they come near the end of a tackle count? Will Souffs get some of these on Friday? Of the penalties we get, how many will be on the first tackle, or with seconds left on the clock, or when the game is basically decided? I guess we'll have to see.