Opinion Max & Sam - Why no1,2 Punch, CC?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think because we’re light he puts the 2 bigger better forwards on at separate times idk but I think Sam needs more minutes regardless
He had Morrin, Mann & Salmon as our 3 middles at one stage. It makes 0 sense.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be honest Hughes has been a little underwhelming in the first row rounds. All the hype coming out of pre season …but he’s young time on his side and I’m sure he will develop more as the season moves on.

Knight is a journeyman but we do need his size and experience this week

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curran with big PCMs and only 1 offload is a lost opportunity. Needs more support.

Hughes made a tackle a minute so he's working hard while he's out there. We only need 40 odd mins out of him, so he should get up around that soon.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be honest Hughes has been a little underwhelming in the first row rounds. All the hype coming out of pre season …but he’s young time on his side and I’m sure he will develop more as the season moves on.

Knight is a journeyman but we do need his size and experience this week
If we don’t hold the ball and complete sets all of our middles will fatigue. We need a reasonable percentage of the ball - if not the juice required in defence will kill us.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is not new though. It seems it is somehow acceptable for our bench props like Sam Hughes to make 3-4 hitups and it’s somehow job done. Same with Patolo before him. Any prop in first grade should be aiming to punch out 10 hitups and 100m a game. Otherwise, what’s the bloody point??

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is a curious strategy?

Sam Hughes & Max King - Didn't share the field at ANY field time together v Sharks...

Given that we're lacking size in our middles, it might be worth a shot to play them at the same time. Then at least we could get a decent 1,2 punch; bend the opponents line a bit, thus creating some time and space for our edge players to operate (which surely is our strength).

Wonder what CC's reasons are for not playing them together??
  • Are they a defensive liability together?
  • Do we need to sub one for other, just to ensure we always have one decent big on the field??
Did a bit of trainspotting...
  • When Farmer went down on 1st run, Curran replaced him. (IMO - ideal chance to get Sam on)
  • Sam didn't get on until 38 minute - HIA for Kiks
  • Max replaced Sam after Sharks 2nd try at 57 minute mark
  • Sam replaced Max after Sharks 4th try at 75 minute mark
.... (apologies for my OCD - I'm a Basketball coach - we do this kinda shit all the time)..
I know stats don't tell the whole story, but they provide a bit of useful data. Such as ...

Sam - Very effective in all metrics - Why so underplayed??
Mann & Salmon - tackling machines.
Presto - not getting enough ball (right edge issues??) - another tackling machine!!
Kiks - superstar!! (Missed tackles? - maybe going for big hits ? - &/or leading the kick-chase?)
Max & Curran - workhorses
Morrin - speed good, size an issue. (Maybe Kautoga an option ...surely KK can go hard for 22 mins - he played 80 in reggies)?

STAT ATTACK

Total Field Time
Defensive Output Offensive Output
Total (1st/2nd) Tackles Missed Ineffective Runs Metres Post Contact(m) Tackle Breaks Offloads
  • Max - 44 mins (26/18) 31 3 2 10 87 31 1 1
  • Sam - 24 mins (19/5) 23 1 0 2 19 9 1 0
  • Kiks 78 (38/40) 24 5 1 13 137 51 4 1
  • Presto 70 (70/0) 41 1 2 7 56 18 2 0
  • Salmon 54 (40/14) 26 0 0 6 55 16 0 0
  • Mann 48 (38/10) 35 1 0 13 73 12 0 2
  • Curran 59 (27/32) 40 2 4 10 95 38 2 1
  • Morrin 22 (22/0) 22 3 0 7 63 27 2 0
Great thread, great questions with data to back up.
This is a how threads should be created and discussed.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Side note: I keep forgetting Ryan Sutton is on the team/ injured... Don't think he solves our problems up the middle, regardless.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I'd also like to see Sam play 40-50 minutes, Gus has said he's barely played any footy in 2 years and they will gradually build up his minutes.
My thoughts were that they'd ease him in. Had he debuted when we were at our best, he'd be coming on alongside an O'Meley, Asotasi, Price, Britt or other monsters we used to have up front. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury. And it sounds like there may have been a few people on here expecting him to jump back into the NRL after a long layoff and provide the impact the props mentioned above did.

And given the timing that he was on field and the fact that we barely had any ball last week, it's not surprising that he was predominantly defending. Everyone else would have been refreshed after halftime and putting hands up for the ball too.

He'll find more impact as he plays more.