Official Gus on Twitter

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He showed aweful leadership in the dying rounds of last season. He threw his players under the bus and in the same breath talked up how great himself and the coaches have been training the team all season but they're just no good. With some smooth talking he finds positives things for the supporters to take heart in all the while saying don't expect any improvement on the pitch anytime soon as a rebuild done properly is losing and plenty of it.
He's definitely not doing a good job in the top grade to date.

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app
Yes yes and yes finally someone else who is viewing the dope for what he is, Gus is a cancer… he is good for 2-3 years… rebuild lower grades get the club to a good place and let others work in top grade, I can just picture ciraldo accepting whatever gus says…. I highly dought ciraldo wanted all these utilities! Isn’t it a wonder he has a 5 year contract at $1mil a season plus 5 in his favour…. I wonder what happened to the original 2-3 years we will be a top 8 side he originally bragged about when he first came on board

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is so sad, my kid is 2, I'm hoping in the next few years we regain some pride in the jersey, so we can enjoy watching games.

I don't think we are far off, but three things need to change:

1. Get a real 1st grade coach, Maguire should be our target after NSW regains Origin.
2. Elevate Papalii (1), O'Neil (6) Todd (15) in 2025 to 1st grade
3. Obtain a top tier Prop / Enforcer

Halfback is obviously a big issue as well, but that isn't a quick fix. If we can address the 3 key problems we will be top 8 bound even with Hutchinson or Sexton there.
We go top 8 easy with 3 things.

Proper seasoned HB.
Alpha prop
Junior's coming through.

Coach is good. Set up is ok. Systems will work.

The only thing coach needs to do in the short term for long term is sort out 4 ball players not 8. Everybody is to hands on atm...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We go top 8 easy with 3 things.

Proper seasoned HB.
Alpha prop
Junior's coming through.

Coach is good. Set up is ok. Systems will work.

The only thing coach needs to do in the short term for long term is sort out 4 ball players not 8. Everybody is to hands on atm...
A seasoned HB and alpha prop could be at least another 2 years away (if earlier then Gus is a god). We might end up relying on our juniors completely which is no guarantee.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not disagreeing… we always get the shit end of the stick… but what I’m saying is that it’s the same shit over and over every year no matter who we sign. Effort shouldn’t be praised… players need to be played in the right positions… we scored one try last week and one this week against a team with a man down. I’m so fucking pissed I can’t believe every year this team just can’t get it right, my kid is 12 years old and has never seen the dogs succeed since ge started watching nrl. Bloody frustrating
just put on the corresponding rounds game from 2002 for him and pretend it’s live. rinse and repeat every year

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A seasoned HB and alpha prop could be at least another 2 years away (if earlier then Gus is a god). We might end up relying on our juniors completely which is no guarantee.
Hopefully our juniors work out as I feel this is exactly what Gus is planning as there's very few superstar halves or alpha props hitting the market these days and I don't realistically see any major youth push in first grade until 2026.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Someone with common sense…

Gus craps on about juniors etc etc but the transition from juniors to grade has been abysmal! Even when we recruit decent players they tend to fall in form and go downhill. I’m sorry but Gus is the one who appointed Baz and ciraldo! When we could have easily appointed flano, we were all carrying on about flano junior being a issue but look how he is playing in a proper system, I’m slowly getting over the Gus is king forte…. Gus needs to be thanked for introducing development systems and moved on.
Who knows for a fact we are down in the halves department and front row department and blames the market for not signing anyone…

I can keep going but the issues begin at the top. Gus and Ciro need to go before they cause more damage than they have already!
Who would you sign?

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes yes and yes finally someone else who is viewing the dope for what he is, Gus is a cancer… he is good for 2-3 years… rebuild lower grades get the club to a good place and let others work in top grade, I can just picture ciraldo accepting whatever gus says…. I highly dought ciraldo wanted all these utilities! Isn’t it a wonder he has a 5 year contract at $1mil a season plus 5 in his favour…. I wonder what happened to the original 2-3 years we will be a top 8 side he originally bragged about when he first came on board
Well something became apparent to me after watching Cc in the post match PC. It was the first time I've seen a fully human side of the coach and was bloody great to visibly see the anger on his face and his frustration in his voice. To date I've only seen him as a robot he keeps recycling the same shit with subtle differences when he's on camera.
And what you mentioned there about Phull's recruiting. It must be hard for him not only does he have the difficult job of winning games of footy but he's also gotta fall into line with whatever decisions Phull makes with roster and run with it. So not only has he got the burden of creating a winning culture within the playing group he's also got zero power in what players he'd like to recruit and coach into the future.
His job is made far more difficult than it should be thanks to his boss man.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
lol really? What improvement have you seen since trials since last season? Effort? What else? Gus refused to sign any forwards blaming the market but signs 30 year old duds who are injured. Signs utility’s to play the most important positions in the team and then signs ciraldo who plays players in positions they don’t thrive in. Give it up champ…. If you have any idea about footy you should know showing some effort in defence isn’t something you applaud like it’s not expected!
Lol, He didn't refuse to sign fowards, he chose not to overpay them. Not sure if you're aware, but the Bulldogs have just removed themselves from a salary cap hole, why would someone as smart as Gus start digging another 1

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well something became apparent to me after watching Cc in the post match PC. It was the first time I've seen a fully human side of the coach and was bloody great to visibly see the anger on his face and his frustration in his voice. To date I've only seen him as a robot he keeps recycling the same shit with subtle differences when he's on camera.
And what you mentioned there about Phull's recruiting. It must be hard for him not only does he have the difficult job of winning games of footy but he's also gotta fall into line with whatever decisions Phull makes with roster and run with it. So not only has he got the burden of creating a winning culture within the playing group he's also got zero power in what players he'd like to recruit and coach into the future.

I agree with the first part about CC , But the Gus controlling the team is just rubbish.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

He has a big say in recruitment. All players would have been agreed to by CC

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You seem confused mathematically.

Quote: ‘Gus is only good for 2-3 years’.
Fact: He’s been here 2.5 years.

Quote: ‘Ciraldo bragged that we’d be a Top 8 side in 2-3 years when he joined’
Fact: He’s just started his second season.

If we’re still struggling by the end of 2025 you might have a beef, otherwise your point seems premature?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You’ve always failed to answer this Flipper - what does Peter Sharp (Head of Recruitment) do if Gus has complete autonomy on recruitment? We’ll wait here…

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You’ve always failed to answer this Flipper - what does Peter Sharp (Head of Recruitment) do if Gus has complete autonomy on recruitment? We’ll wait here…
Very little I imagine, fucking hell mate if your not aware that tens millions gets paid out to ex players/coaches in token roles then you've got less idea than I do sport.

Fuck me Reynolds getting a token top 30 contract was perfect example. His role was to unite the playing group and inject blue and white into their veins and be prepared to lay down their lives for the cause.

As is often the case it good money flushed down the toilet