News Crichton‘s encouraging act in Dogs debut as halves dilemma deepens: What we learned

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ciraldo knows there's no point promoting his young stars and hopefully solve the half and fullback problem until the defense can consistently terrorise opponents.
It will take 6-10 weeks to get some consistency in defense, at best. Maybe the whole season.
The solution is there. It's just that for 2024 it will be running around in NSW Cup.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Defensively they did they hit hard I was very impressed with that

I’m not sold at all on hutchinson slow and seemed when put under pressure he broke a bit
I would go sexton !

but overall I am happy with there progression and Critta is a absolute weapon and kikau did well
Big hits
Preston and Curran both defensively great .

Questions marks on taffe at fullback definitely I would use Conner Tracey
taffe really hard a bad game underneath the ball he couldn’t catch good speed but he can’t be dropping balls like that during the season I would use taffe off the bench

overall bring on round 1

just those too calls hutchinson and taffe ?
Boys what you rekin ?

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Xerri needs to lift his game. Skelton has to be in the line up until Xerri lift's his socks up.

Skelton offers tackle breaks and a much solid kick return.

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lots of options for 7 and 1. The problem is they are glaringly inferior to the opposition.
Taffe, Tracey, Hutchison, Sexton all plucked from NSW Cup and QLD Cup. None of them are very young. Hutchison and Tacey have had their chances. Taffe, Sexton probably better options to start the year, before looking at Papali'i, O'Niell or BBO. I might still give Tracey a run at 1, but he is a stop gap until Papali'i is deemed ready or someone unexpected comes along. Sexton at 7, O'Niell is straight out of Flegg and not a dazzling athlete yet. BBO was poor last year, and probably played a secondary role to Wakeman the year before. Burton is safe until KO recovers or Rajab rises from the ashes. Mahoney is safe unless Turpin returns a match winner in NSW Cup or Haywood gains more experience as a 9.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinions of the trial games.
1. Ciraldo is picking Hutchinson over sexbomb
2. He is staying with taffe @ fb.
3. Our halves never bring kikau into our attack properly.
4. We have improved our defence & we are fitter
5. pharmacilli has lapses in his defence when he is fatigued
6. Haywood, apart from a single shit pass, seems to fit better into what ciraldo is trying to achieve in attack. Mahoney spends too much time pushing out laterally from the ruck and crowding our halves.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Xerri needs to lift his game. Skelton has to be in the line up until Xerri lift's his socks up.

Skelton offers tackle breaks and a much solid kick return.
Either trolling or showing your extremely low IQ of rugby league

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Why not both?
Skeleton on the wing xerri centre
Think Kiraz needs to come back into the team when fit. If we moved on Fox that could be an option but until then Skelton won’t start. Could be used as a bench option though.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Hope Crichton is not injured seemed to go off a bit unexpectedly around 15 min in. Same with Hughes after his collision with Hazelton. Hope they are both ok.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope Crichton is not injured seemed to go off a bit unexpectedly around 15 min in. Same with Hughes after his collision with Hazelton. Hope they are both ok.
They said on Fox that Ciro only planned to play him for 20mins. He has a slight hamstring strain from preseason but he’s otherwise good to go for round 1

Crashdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fox mentioned at the start of the game that Crichton was playing only the first twenty just to have a hit out. Don’t know about Hughes.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
They said on Fox that Ciro only planned to play him for 20mins. He has a slight hamstring strain from preseason but he’s otherwise good to go for round 1
A bit suss to me surely your new captain that is playing his first game plays 40 mins at least. If was also after an awkward run or tackle. At least we have depth at centre for once.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defensively they did they hit hard I was very impressed with that

I’m not sold at all on hutchinson slow and seemed when put under pressure he broke a bit
I would go sexton !

but overall I am happy with there progression and Critta is a absolute weapon and kikau did well
Big hits
Preston and Curran both defensively great .

Questions marks on taffe at fullback definitely I would use Conner Tracey
taffe really hard a bad game underneath the ball he couldn’t catch good speed but he can’t be dropping balls like that during the season I would use taffe off the bench

overall bring on round 1

just those too calls hutchinson and taffe ?
Boys what you rekin ?
Hutchison didn’t look like a natural half last night, clunky, slow passes, hospital balls, running up past the ball in defence…can’t see how he’s our no.1 half option.

Overall team needs big improvements to climb out of the bottom 3 which is where we are at the moment…again. At least the defence has improved for the most part since last year

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
A bit suss to me surely your new captain that is playing his first game plays 40 mins at least. If was also after an awkward run or tackle. At least we have depth at centre for once.
We have depth agree. It’s a long season.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Think Kiraz needs to come back into the team when fit. If we moved on Fox that could be an option but until then Skelton won’t start. Could be used as a bench option though.
yeah agree kiraz and fox wings xerri, critta centres, fullback Tracey.
I think Skelton might end up as a second row.