News 'Walk towards pressure': Stephen Crichton's promise to Bulldogs after blockbuster NRL move

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stephen Crichton hopes to bring his NRL premiership experience to the Bulldogs, claiming he will "walk towards pressure" at his new club.

A three-time champion with Penrith, the 23-year-old headlines a long list of recruits at Canterbury this season and will play his first game this weekend in a trial fixture.

Crichton was initially expected to play fullback at the Dogs but will line up in the centres for the side's clash with Cronulla, as fellow signing Blake Taaffe holds the No.1 jumper.

But regardless of what number is on his back, Crichton is confident he can instil the lessons learned with the Panthers, as well as taking his own game to the next level.

"I gravitated to the senior boys, especially in big games," he told 9News Sydney.

"I was leaning on them to do something and I've kind of learnt that I'm not that player and I don't want to be that player anymore.

"I want to be the kind of player that the boys want to play with ... take those moments straight-on, whether it's a good moment or it ends up being a bad moment.

"I don't want to die knowing that I left it within myself. I've kind of learnt that with Nathan[Cleary], Romey [Jarome Luai] and those boys - not to be afraid to walk towards pressure and the hype.

"Cooper Cronk used to say he was learning just as much as he was teaching, and it made him a better player. I kind of see that with myself."

With exactly 100 first-grade appearances to his name, as well as representative experience with both NSW and Samoa, Crichton has established himself as one of the sport's elite stars, with his mix of athleticism and skill making him a massive threat.

He will face a different challenge in 2024 however without the safety net of a quality Penrith outfit around him - but the rangy centre is ready to go head-to-head with his former club, which includes close mates Luai and Brian To'o.

"I know how it felt being a home game over there, and now I'm gonna obviously be on the opposite side and feeling that pressure," Crichton said.

"I think it will be pretty cool going up against the boys. I can't wait for it."

Canterbury will begin their campaign against the Parramatta Eels on March 9.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He might just turn out to be the most important signing for us in the last decade if not longer
I agree, even his worst games for penrith he made an impact. He's a pure athlete and best in his position at 23... kudos to whoever got him over the line as he could have gone anywhere and for a lot more dare i say it.

Whatmate

Waterboy
Reaction score
He hasn’t even played yet for us. I wouldn’t jump on the ‘he’s going to change our club’ train just yet. How many big name signings have we made in the past that gave us hope and ended up being sub par/shit?