Missing Piece of the Puzzle

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Canberra Ata Mariota was impressive yesterday, he would have been great to pinch off Canberra... But that ship has sailed.
Clubs with an unbalanced squad (which i think Caberra have) - could create a situation where a good forward is let go by a club sooner rather than later. BBO or Perham would add back depth to a club overloaded with forwards - even Skelton (although rather keep him at this stage) would be a good bargaining chip to get a decent middle

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah ai thought and mentioned this kid for a bit now. He’d be very good!
I’d chase him, Royce Hunt, Hamlin-Uele or even May if he gets serious about a contract offer.

2 more middles would be good to go with King and Hughes with Todd coming through too

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah ai thought and mentioned this kid for a bit now. He’d be very good!
I’d chase him, Royce Hunt, Hamlin-Uele or even May if he gets serious about a contract offer.

2 more middles would be good to go with King and Hughes with Todd coming through too
leo thompson also played well and long minutes, however playing quarters might give a bit more rest so isn't exactly telling on fitness

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will be the starting prop alongside Haas and Carrigan for a team who aren't far off from favorites for a premiership so fat chance.

We have a better chance Tyrell May who looked just as strong over the weekend.

Plus we have kids, we need blokes about to hit their prime or seasoned pros.
Tyrell May from what I understand had a good offer on the table from us.

He stalled holding out for something better. Showing no will or desire to come. I don’t care how good a player is. If they don’t want to be a Bulldog and buy in as a Bulldog. We don’t want them.

The May boat has sailed!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

He stalled holding out for something better. Showing no will or desire to come. I don’t care how good a player is. If they don’t want to be a Bulldog and buy in as a Bulldog. We don’t want them.

The May boat has sailed!
Yep clearly gus pulled the pin like afb trying to build culture not signing the money mercenaries

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clubs with an unbalanced squad (which i think Caberra have) - could create a situation where a good forward is let go by a club sooner rather than later. BBO or Perham would add back depth to a club overloaded with forwards - even Skelton (although rather keep him at this stage) would be a good bargaining chip to get a decent middle
Even if we don't do direct player swaps, I'm sure we're sniffing around clubs with strong depth in the front row. And if there's a player manager out there that doesn't let us know if they've got a prop unexpectedly going on the market, they're a shit manager.

Assuming we have the roster spot vacated by RFM still vacant we can afford to be patient for the moment. I know people will be screaming if a prop with any talent goes anywhere else but to us. But I'm sure we're dangling hooks to players we mightn't expect or think highly of. Kiraz, Wilson, King and Preston have all been pleasant surprises for me. I always judge players on what they produce for us. Some don't do a lot. But it's much nicer to have a nobody explode onto the stage with us than to have a big name not have the impact we'd hoped for.

At this stage I expect we'll get a surprise when we do fill the last roster spot.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The May boat has sailed!
Well aware of the situation. Still a better chance of him coming than Xavier.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm backing Gus' boy Sammy Hughes to fill this void. Gus has foresight I could only dream of, and he has earmarked this young man as the next big thing!
His a sizeable prop, fitness wise atleast from the trial he could play in the 50-60 minute range. The trial emphasised the middle problem, king will be a battering ram will be an absolute blessing if Hughes can serve in the starting front row this year.

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Absolutely loved what I saw from the junior players the other night, fast, hungry, talented and some good footy smarts in there.

The way they played reminded me of watching this current Panthers team when they were all coming through the grades together, not surprising considering Gould, CC, and a few others put those training structures in place and masterminded that development strategy.

I still believe there’s a piece of the puzzle missing, and that’s that big stand out aggressive alpha prop to lead the way.

I’ve said this before, and now after watching the indigenous/Māori game the other night, it’s reinforced to me that this bloke is the answer [emoji116] He’s a superstar of the future ..

View attachment 102518

I know he’s under contract, but over the last few months we’ve all seen what contracts are worth, and I know the Bronco’s have just moved on a few, but they’ve got to be stretched with recent big upgrades to Haas, Carrigan, Mam, Cobbo, Reynolds on big money, Staggs on big money, they had to pay pretty big to keep Piakura .. surely they’ve got to be stretched.

I would love to see some third party whisper in Willison’s managers ear about an offer to good to refuse, and us pinch him while I believe the opportunities ripe, while he’s young hungry and stuck behind a few it’s the perfect time to pinch him, grab him and make him our leader of the future, and I believe we’re sitting pretty heading into the next 10 years …

Thoughts ?

Edit .. Can’t believe I also forgot the recent huge 150% upgrade to Walsh, you’d think they’ve got to be stretched ..
Didn't like what Jack Todd did? He killed the Storm lower graders.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ve been saying him and mooney for a while would be ideal additions for us.

Agree to especially with Walsh now close at 1.1 mil a year. They can’t honestly keep these kids and not be compared to the fucking roosters.

Walsh Mann both just went from 500k combined to about 2mil.

Haas carrigan staggs all on mega $

Handful of others only good money even if pay cuts like Reynolds, cobbo, pikaura.

I’d be all for us personally going to this kid and mooney and giving them a figure they can’t say no too as together would be cheaper than afb would be.
Funny you say that. Canberra and Broncos have the two most stacked front row in the NRL. Kevvie Walters has also said that Te Kura is in the frame for the future.
With Canberra it appears as though Sticky is going to try to sign Luciano Leilua. Thats crazy as it will push Mooney out of the club IMO. Surely Mooney wants regular 1st grade experience 2024 and if Leilua signs he will barely play.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Funny you say that. Canberra and Broncos have the two most stacked front row in the NRL. Kevvie Walters has also said that Te Kura is in the frame for the future.
With Canberra it appears as though Sticky is going to try to sign Luciano Leilua. Thats crazy as it will push Mooney out of the club IMO. Surely Mooney wants regular 1st grade experience 2024 and if Leilua signs he will barely play.
We need to be on that now. Not later. Right on his and Xavier’s ear asap. Don’t care if it’s not for another season.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hughes showed some strong leadership qualities the other night if he can keep that up he will be to us what Finucane was to Melbourne he actually reminds me of Finucane the way he plays.
Fun fact - he has the same manager as Finucane.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't like what Jack Todd did? He killed the Storm lower graders.
Love what I’ve seen from Jack … I’ve definitely got my eye on him … I just think Willison has Haas, Tino written all over him .. he’s going to be an alpha prop in the next 3/4 years … and if we could get him in our squad, Jack and Co. would add to that up front dominance …

Watch this space ..

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Definately agree on Canberra front. Also if I was Leilua after seeing the Dragons trial, I'd cop the wage loss and take Raiders offer.