BULLDOGS PLAYER TRADE

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So we all know there’s zero decent middle forwards that are off contract so the only way you could get one from another club is through a trade deal.

Makes sense so far right?

So the next thing is to consider what Bulldogs players other teams would want and where their roster is weak and what would be a mutually beneficial trade.

So first of all let’s have a look at the:

Raiders

They desperately need a half after losing Wighton and in particular a 5/8 to play with Fogarty. Their strength is their forward pack.

So an example of a fair trade would be:

Matt Burton for Josh Papalii.

I think the Raiders would snap that deal up and Papalii would fill the middle void perfectly. Of course he’s only got a couple of good seasons left in him so this deal would leave us with heaps of cap space moving forward. Potentially to sign an origin 5/8 like Tom Deardon or see how KO develops. I’d also like to think Papalii would be good for some our young props development.

Next up is…

The Dragons

They too need a half to play alongside Hunt and in all likelihood he’ll have to be replaced in the near future as well. I know they’ve got Flanno but he’s proven to be a back up at best. They also need a fullback with Sloan proving unreliable.

Potential trade deal:

Jack De Belin for Blake Taffe

Obviously Jack would toughen up our middle and Taffe would cover their halves and FB positions nicely.

Between Critter, Tracey, Sexton and Hutcho we can cover the FB and HB spots easily.

The Eels

They are in a premiership window but need a bit of extra class out wide. They have Sivo and Penisini but the other wing and centre spot is wide open.

Trade:

Josh Addo Carr for Wiremu Greig

Greig looked great and had real impact for the Eels last season. Of course it would be better to get Paulo or RCG but let’s at least be semi realistic here because the Eels aren’t gonna let them go.

We have so much depth in the outside backs and we need a forward more than we need a winger. Plus how much good can the Fox really do behind a beaten forward pack?

Cowboys are another team that comes to mind…

So anyway you can see what I’m getting at. We’ve got so much depth in the outside backs and halves now that surely there’s a trade deal there somewhere.

I didn’t intend this to be too serious but thought it would be a good conversation starter.

Let me know what you think!

Do you have any trade deals that at so crazy they might work?

What would our team list look like if it happened?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
JDB for Taaffe is very unrealistic. The other 2 e.g.'s would probably get a bite from those clubs.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No way we’re trading Burton after re-signing him until 2027 - massive cap implications.

No thanks to Jack De Bellend - wouldn’t fit the culture the Bulldogs are trying to build. Plus we just signed Taffe, why would we swap him?

Highly doubtful JAC would be part of a trade.

Cowboys maybe…

I have no doubt no stone is being left unturned to find a solution to plug the gap of TPJ leaving a year early…

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread earlier in the week that I hoped Gus has something like this in mind.

Not sure who we swap to make it happen though.

One thing is the relative age of the players concerned, Burton is far younger than Josh Papalii, so the Raiders would get a bigger benefit than us. I doubt Gus would go for that one.

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No way we’re trading Burton after re-signing him until 2027 - massive cap implications.

No thanks to Jack De Bellend - wouldn’t fit the culture the Bulldogs are trying to build. Plus we just signed Taffe, why would we swap him?

Cowboys maybe…
I have no doubt no stone is being left unturned to find a solution to plug the gap of TPJ leaving a year early…
Yeah I know it’s a bit far fetched but just thought it would be a bit interesting to chat about. Maybe someone will have a brilliant idea.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Cowboys maybe…

We signed a drug cheat with a questionable background, what "culture" are we building?

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Josh Papalii on the way out man, no way is that a fair trade
Yeah I guess that depends on how much value you’re gonna get out of him. 850k is a lot over 5 years and some fans would be happy to move him on. One Papa retired you’d have nearly 2 mil cap space spare

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How about:

Bulldogs get = Jason Taumalolo & Chad Townsend.

Cowboys get = Jeral Skelton/JAC & Toby Sexton.

Cowboys have been trying to get rid of both Taumalolo & Townsend. We could use their experience.

Last edited:

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Something has got to happen and fans arnt going to like it. It will most likely be Wilson or Skelton for a player like Greig. Seeing as we just signed Wilson and Skeltons contract ends this year maybe him. Would hate coming up against either of them, but probably needs to be done.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah that’s true now that I think about it. I wrote that post real quick!
How’s Francis Molo for Taffe sound?
I'm not the biggest Molo fan so I'd probably pass on him.

I think with Luai going to Tiger I would be trying to get Klemmer for the upcoming season (maybe season after if we're that desperate and Tiger won't release early, probably in Klemmer's boat to agitate) and I'd offer anyone except Critta, JAC, Xerri, Tracey, Kiraz, Burton, King, Mahoney, Kikau, Preston and Curran (and a couple of the young kids like Woods and Marshall). Tiger would probably need someone on a smaller contract anyways. It also wouldn't look good trading any of the players we've signed for the upcoming season.

Also if we're using JAC for a trade it needs to be someone better than Greig in return. RCG level if we're staying on Eel. Wilson or Skelton for Greig maybe even tho I wouldn't really want to lose either (especially Wilson).

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Isn’t it written in the Kennel constitution you can’t start idiotic threads?

WTF would we trade Taafe when we only just signed him & hasn’t put on a jersey?

C’mon mannnnnn…. At least give him 3 or 4 games before we punt him off like we did with Cotric!!