News Bulldogs defend players bye-round Holiday after Phil Gould’s Knights spray

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Queensland sun sure feels nice, Gus.

Bulldogs players have escaped the Sydney cold – and mid-season blues – during the club’s bye weekend but their exit has raised the hackles of Newcastle officials.

Knights management are still recovering from a withering spray they copped from Bulldogs general manager of football and Channel 9 commentator Phil Gould after Newcastle players travelled to Bali for a break during a club bye earlier this month.

At the time, Gould told 9: “It wouldn’t happen in my day. I couldn’t do it as a coach, I couldn’t do it as a player.”

Instagram photos now show Canterbury star Jake Averillo enjoying the Queensland sun on Hamilton Island with halfback Kyle Flanagan holidaying at Port Douglas.

Some may argue in support of Gould by claiming Queensland offers a safer and healthier destination compared to Bali.

Newcastle knows the far-reaching influence Phil Gould wields in rugby league.

Phil Gould had a bit to say about Newcastle players taking a holiday in the bye week, but Bulldogs stars have gone interstate during their week off. Picture: Damian Shaw.

Phil Gould had a bit to say about Newcastle players taking a holiday in the bye week, but Bulldogs stars have gone interstate during their week off. Picture: Damian Shaw.

And that power – and lack of appetite for public slanging match – will prevent the Knights from publicly calling out what they believe is perceived double standards at Gould’s Bulldogs.

Publicly, Newcastle is refusing to be critical of Bulldogs players using the bye to get away for a brief mid-season holiday. But, privately, they claim Gould is living by two sets of rules.

“I’m very comfortable with how we’ve approached our first bye of the season. Cameron (Ciraldo, head coach), the coaching team and our playing group spent the first few days of the week like any other – review and connection,” said Bulldogs chief executive Aaron Warburton.

“With 14 days in between matches, our players had an extended weekend to refresh, both mentally and physically. They’ll be back at it come 7am Monday as we prepare for the Roosters on Sunday.”

Earlier this month, Gould fired up at Newcastle players who travelled to Bali for a break. Players did leave Australia after a 43-12 loss to Parramatta the previous game.

Gould said: “I‘d always use the bye round … for me that was always a time to go back and refresh, to look at some things that maybe we’re not doing as well as we would have liked, or maybe there’s some things we can add to our game, or maybe we need a refresher course.

“For me the benefit of the bye was not getting busted on the weekend, was not going out. It gave you two weeks to get ready for your next game instead of one week.

“It just wouldn’t have happened in my day. For me, it was two weeks to get ready for your next game, and you shouldn’t lose if you had the two weeks to get ready.

“You are paid to train and play, that’s what you are paid to do. Find something else to do, find another job if you don’t want this job.“

News Corp reached out to Gould for comment but he did not respond.

Newcastle officials were contacted but preferred not engage publicly in a media battle with Gould.

At the time, Newcastle director of football Peter Parr entered the debate, saying: “Our preference would be that people at other clubs worry about their own club.”

Canterbury has a bye before a match against Sydney Roosters next Sunday in Gosford.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How do you compare Bali to Queensland?
Bali has different laws you do something stupid that’s 20 years jail.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Parramatta players besides the ones in fat club are free to go anywhere as well fr the next couple weeks

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Travelling to QLD with and to see family is different to travelling to Bali for a weekend on the piss
You do realise it was only Bradmen best that went to Bali he did charity work as a labourer to help build a school for three days on friend project.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll bet this article was locked in a week after Gould criticised the knights. I couldn't give a shit. Couldn't give half a shot to be honest. As long as our players are ready to fire after their bye I'm happy.

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everyone knows Gus in his capacity as a commentator is a blow hard. Who cares!

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the time, Gould told 9: “It wouldn’t happen in my day. I couldn’t do it as a coach, I couldn’t do it as a player.”

So he isn't a coach or player now, so can say anything he wants and also now we know CC isn't Goulds puppet.