Gus and his youth signings

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but this is the strongest foundations for long term success...
The Godfather Bullfrog showed us the way but for some stupid reason Greenberg & Hasler abandoned it.
They were short sighted and Castle/Dibb were incompetent.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They were short sighted and Castle/Dibb were incompetent.
Not defending no one, Greenberg employed Hasler in total control of the football department then decided to leave us under his mercy, Castle who knew nothing about football was employed as a publicity stunt, when things started to pear shape Dib who was the chairman then stepped in to limit the damage only to made it worse by extending Hasler's contract...incompetence yes it was !
The rest is history

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not defending no one, Greenberg employed Hasler in total control of the football department then decided to leave us under his mercy, Castle who knew nothing about football was employed as a publicity stunt, when things started to pear shape Dib who was the chairman then stepped in to limit the damage only to made it worse by extending Hasler's contract...incompetence yes it was !
The rest is history
That hopefully will never be repeated.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The rest is history
As fans we hate Hasler BUT the people who played under Des absolutely till this day love and defend him. Have you heard James Graham talk about Des on his podcasts? He loves the guy and you have Ennis, Josh Reynolds, Josh Jackson, Frank Pritchard…all absolutely talk Des up as the best coach they’ve played under. The players love Des…

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes, but this is the strongest foundations for long term success...
The Godfather Bullfrog showed us the way but for some stupid reason Greenberg & Hasler abandoned it.
So true..then covid stretched our rebuild a further 2-3 years longer..bullfrog built us on youngsters like lamb,langmack,farrar,Mortimer's,polla mounter,darren and jason Smith,Dean pay,mc cracken,Dallas, etc then his legacy brought sbw,mason,asotasi,Thurston,Myles,Elsom etc..Gus knows this is the only way to get us back to the top and sustain it.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As fans we hate Hasler BUT the people who played under Des absolutely till this day love and defend him. Have you heard James Graham talk about Des on his podcasts? He loves the guy and you have Ennis, Josh Reynolds, Josh Jackson, Frank Pritchard…all absolutely talk Des up as the best coach they’ve played under. The players love Des…
Don't be misled, he probably was a super coach in the past and still passes as a good coach now, players will never come out and rubbish him.
eg. I know that Frank the Tank was very upset for pushing him out of the club to the UK despite having a year to go on his contract and after being dogs player of the year instead opting to stick with Tony Williams.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So true..then covid stretched our rebuild a further 2-3 years longer..bullfrog built us on youngsters like lamb,langmack,farrar,Mortimer's,polla mounter,darren and jason Smith,Dean pay,mc cracken,Dallas, etc then his legacy brought sbw,mason,asotasi,Thurston,Myles,Elsom etc..Gus knows this is the only way to get us back to the top and sustain it.
Let's hope Gus will emulate The Great Bullfrog !

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't be misled, he probably was a super coach in the past and still passes as a good coach now, players will never come out and rubbish him.
eg. I know that Frank the Tank was very upset with him for pushing him out of the club to the UK despite having a year to go on his contract and after being dogs player of the year instead opting to stick with Tony Williams.
They at the same time don’t have to come out and tell the world or anyone who wants to listen that he’s a great coach and how much they admire him .. but they are and they do!

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My mate works with Sunshine Coast falcons playing group.. says Blake Wilson is an awesome signing, says he is an absolute gun with incredible lower body strength and is very fast.
Ive seen some ofthe doggy recruit highlights but his highlights are pretty impressive

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good point - it has seemed that some players coming through HM/ SGBALL and Flegg were almost guaranteed a game week after week, comp after comp regardless of their on field performance due to lack of depth. I dont have inside info just based on watching games and player attitude.

I also hope that the club coaches move away from a style of play that is dominated by sets of play in which big players take one out runs for 5 tackles regardless of position on the field.
Diddly. You are 100% correct. The kids in HMatts think they are there till NSW Cup. Absolutely 'entitled' attitudes. My mate who has attended the rep games for the last few years has been horrified when the boys have been comprehensively beaten and then come up into the stand at Belmore with a swagger like they are gods. My mate has had to be actively held back from abusing the big heads.
And you are also right where our Hmatts attack centred on our overweight forwards punching it up, one out for 5 before a kick. That coach has been 'moved on' so expect a better style for 2023.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Diddly. You are 100% correct. The kids in HMatts think they are there till NSW Cup. Absolutely 'entitled' attitudes. My mate who has attended the rep games for the last few years has been horrified when the boys have been comprehensively beaten and then come up into the stand at Belmore with a swagger like they are gods. My mate has had to be actively held back from abusing the big heads.
And you are also right where our Hmatts attack centred on our overweight forwards punching it up, one out for 5 before a kick. That coach has been 'moved on' so expect a better style for 2023.
I know at the HM levels some doggy parents arent happy, they picked some kids for the matts who didnt even perform, some didnt even do game trials, some where selected because they have familair sounding nrl surnames, stacking the HM team with 8-9 under 15 kids which means the older kids miss out. The real deal comes at SG ball level

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
des was sensational for his players but he couldnt give a fuck about the juniors that was his problem, he was only after short term success.

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
des was sensational for his players but he couldnt give a fuck about the juniors that was his problem, he was only after short term success.
100% agree with you Steve, I'm just saying unlike the fans all the ex players who were moved on, not re-signed or retired under Des from his days at the Bulldogs still talk about him with glowing endorsement.

I was reading a story "Josh Schuster decided to withdraw from the World Cup to lose weight and improve his fitness, Dessie jumped straight on board to help out.
While Schuster went for long-distance runs on the northern beaches, Dessie put on a helmet and would ride alongside him on a pushbike as encouragement."

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I go to most hm n sgball games - before game and after game attitude of some players (not all) even during warm up did not reflect well - hate to acknowledge it but the Roosters teams seem to be well managed in that aspect