Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of my Greek friends knows Nick Politis very well & told me that he is targeting Burton. Politis wants Burton to replace Keary as it seems Munster will stay in Melbourne. It’s the same mail I got weeks before Cronk signed at the Roosters.
I think he’ll end up in Bondi
If true, I reckon we kick you off the Kennel

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Rothfield believes Matt Burton could command $1 million a season on his next contract as the Bulldogs try to ward off rival approaches for the latest Origin superstar.

Fresh off his dream debut in the Blues’ 44-12 game two win over Queensland, Burton’s asking price has sky rocketed and can only increase further by the time he is free to negotiate with the Bulldogs and rival clubs for 2024 and beyond, as of November 1.

Braith Anasta believes Burton’s kicking game is what turned Origin II in the Blues’ favour.

“It definitely knocked them around their back three and their confidence having to worry about Cleary and Burton,” Anasta said on NRL 360.

“They weren't the same once they started having to worry about those big, high, torpedo floating bombs, which are the hardest to take in the game.
“It was a stellar performance by him. One of the best.”

Burton decided not to take up the option for 2024 in his three year Bulldogs deal, which means he will test his value on the open market as of November 1 this year.

Rothfield revealed Burton’s management are waiting until the Bulldogs decide on their next coach before considering extension offers for 2024 and beyond, but they will also explore his value on the open market.

“The big story on Matt Burton is going to be his future at the Canterbury Bulldogs,” Rothfield said.

“The story is he is off-contract at the end of next year. It is an identical story to Cameron Munster in that in November he can start talking to other clubs and negotiating.

“I spoke to Dave Riolo today, who manages Burton and he is not ready to do a thing at the moment.

“He wants the boy to have a strong Origin III and keep winning for the Bulldogs and then look at it later.

The interesting thing he emphasised is that Matt Burton will not sign anything until he knows who will be coaching the Bulldogs next year.

“He made it very clear that the one reason Burton went to the Bulldogs was to be coached by Trent Barrett and while he has moved on from Baz’s dismissal, he would still like to know who is going to be in charge.”

However, Paul Kent believes it is more likely Burton’s management are looking for a huge increase on his income on his next contract.

“Not only that, if he goes to market now because he has knocked back the extension his value has nearly doubled,” Kent said.

“If he keeps performing like that clubs will pay $600,000 to $700,000 for him easy,” James Hooper added.

However, Rothfield believes Burton is eyeing a potential $1 million a season deal, which will double what he is on in 2022.

“I think he is closer to $1 million,” Rothfield said.

“He is on about $500,000 now. Canterbury got him for unders. Way unders.”

Anasta agreed that there are clubs that are desperate for someone of Burton’s skill and stage of his career, which will drive up his price considerably due to what some teams are willing to pay for his services.

“$800,000 or $900,000 I reckon,” Anasta said.

“There is some clubs with some open check books at the moment.

“You still have to prove yourself to be consistent and club land every week.”

However, Rothfield believes Burton has proven he is a consistent player over the last two seasons, with the 2021 Dally M centre of the year still one of the Bulldogs’ best every week, despite playing in a struggling side.

“He has been consistent in a really average side all year,” Rothfield said.

“He went last night on the biggest stage with enormous pressure. They had to win and he looked like he had been there for 10 years.”

However, Anasta believes the $1 million price tag is reserved for players who can bring premierships to their clubs.

“I’m talking for $1 million,” Anasta said.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But what makes him think he walks back into the team?
Just imagine if they were all fit.

They'd keep Luai and Cleary in the halves (they wouldn't break up a club partnership)

Then you have Tom Trbo, Latrell, Burton, Tedesco, Papenhuyzen, how the hell do you choose out of that lot????

Holy Shit WHAT A FUCKING BACKLINE!!!!!

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does everyone think can Burton be the Thurston we lost?
Has a great kicking game and awesome step and can only improve

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope we smash the sharts
Same… Never had anything against them until I had to listen to this guys dribble every week… I try not to watch but I like hearing the insights from some of the guests.