News Potter tipped to remain at the helm following Bulldogs resurgence

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No he's only agreed to a 1 year deal/extension, which is why Munster wants to stay for 2023.
He signed a long term contract with the Storm. He's only guaranteed to coach X amounts of years in that contract, he has options in his favour which he can take up in regards to whether he wants to continue coaching or move to a higher up role with the club.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Why would Gus be chasing Payten so hard? Yeah, the cowbs have had a good season, but he’s hardly proven himself as a super coach. Hopefully if potter signs on for just one year it will serve as an extended audition to convince both potter himself and Gus that he is the man for the full time job.

We don’t need Payten, we don’t need (and won’t get) Bellamy. Potter is the man.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Gus' main target is Payten. 100%.

If it were anyone else we wouldn't be extending Potter for a year and waiting 12 months. We wouldn't need to wait. If Potter was the long term plan we'd be signing him for 2 years or more. He'll likely become an assistant when Payten gets our gig. We might even get Payten early if we announce he's signed for 2024

Ricky Stuart - has ruled himself out.
Woolfe, Flanagan, Ciraldo, Fittler, Madge - if we wanted one of these we'd be signing them for 2023 now, not waiting 12 months. Why would we ? Doesn't make sense. Has to be someone else - someone who'se contracted for 2023 but available for 2024 (Payten)
Cannot see payten coaching us. If he came back to Sydney he would go to the tigers.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It makes sense to wait another eyar as there are no other real candidates available atm.

Things may become clearer in a years time.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Makes the most sense when you look at what's available ATM, Fittler or flange would be a fucking disaster we need a coach that want's to coach the Bulldog's not just some prick lining up for a pay cheque.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interim Bulldogs coach Mick Potter could remain at the helm for an extended period following two wins against the Eels and Tigers.

According to The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio, Bulldogs Canterbury powerbrokers could leave Potter in charge for another 12 months before making another play at a permanent coach.

A number of names have been shipped to fill the vacancy, including Cameron Ciraldo who turned down the Tigers lucrative offer, while Kristian Woolf has been contacted by rugby league supremo Phil Gould.

But now, with the club in a period of rebuild, Potter could man the fort for the foreseeable future.

“I have picked up on a little bit of chat out at Canterbury that again, not convinced that Ciraldo will come, I understand that they haven’t even made Ciraldo an offer it has merely been a discussion at this point in time,” Riccio said on Triple M.

“I am just picking up a bit of mail that the Dogs aren’t closing the door on allowing Mick Potter to hold the fort for another twelve months, while they try and sort out what they do long-term.

“Because in the back of the Dogs mind, they know this is a significant rebuild as for as their cap is concerned and getting that roster back into shape and they might just leave the keys to Mick Potter to hold the fort as I said and get through this process before they go all in.

“Maybe if Ciraldo was to stay at Penrith for another 12 months they come back at him once that roster is sorted.”

Meanwhile, St Helens coach Kristian Woolf, who was the Warriors top target, knocked the New Zealand club back.

Woolf is also a target of the Bulldogs being one of the game’s best up and coming coaches, but Riccio has revealed he has a trump card up his sleeve after receiving an offer from Wayne Bennett.

“Ultimately the Warriors rejection was based on wanting to come back to Australia,” Riccio said.

“We also know that he has this invitation to work under Wayne Bennett at the Dolphins, what an opportunity that is where you work with Wayne for two to three years and then he hands you the keys to the Dolphins after they have had that three year infancy and building the club.

“He can take over as an NRL coach when Wayne rides off into the sunset.

“I know that Gus has had a conversation with Woolf... so he is a wanted man but i’d be leaning towards the Dolphins.”

Malla

Reaction score
Cheap option too.

Fuck Ciraldo. Who does he think he is? Bloke should be grateful he is considered for a first grade coaching position. Who is he to want a good situation to go into? Does he not want to do any work as a first grade coach? Dead set fuckin silver spoon dog. Never made it as a player and will probably never make it as a coach either.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like the Potter 12 month extension, but the only negative would be potential players wanting to know who the long term coach is before coming to our club. But there’s also a flip side to this, a chance to play with JAC, Bomber, TPJ, Kikau, Mahoney and young developing stars like Avo, Kiraz and Alamoti might be enough to persuade any potential player to come to our club regardless of who the coach is. Only time will tell.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Potter at the moment is doing a great job..but it’s only been two games that has got everyone pumped.. Where the Doggies end up at the end of the season and how they play will show Potter’s quality and determine his fate..

I’m really hoping he does well as he seems a good fit..after what happened to him at the Tigers he deserves another chance at NRL level..

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we're serious about 2024 being the big one for us, then Potter staying another year isn't the worst idea.

Will keep cap spending down and give new coach more to work withmid way through next year.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Potter at the moment is doing a great job..but it’s only been two games that has got everyone pumped.. Where the Doggies end up at the end of the season and how they play will show Potter’s quality and determine his fate..

I’m really hoping he does well as he seems a good fit..after what happened to him at the Tigers he deserves another chance at NRL level..
Yeh true, it’s only been 2 wins on the trot, but the difference in how they started to play was evident from when Potter took over. In his five games in charge of the team, the team has averaged 27 points a game which is in contrast to Barrett’s first 10 rounds when we were averaging 9 points a game and struggling to score 2 tries every week. Still too early to call.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh true, it’s only been 2 wins on the trot, but the difference in how they started to play was evident from when Potter took over. In his five games in charge of the team, the team has averaged 27 points a game which is in contrast to Barrett’s first 10 rounds when we were averaging 9 points a game and struggling to score 2 tries every week. Still too early to call.
He’s made a positive difference that’s for sure..and Fingers crossed it continues..

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before getting too excited. While I so believe Potter is a big upgrade on Barrett. Our first 10 rounds of the season was probably the toughest run of any club to start the season.

That being said Barrett was clueless with how to fix anything. He would just role the same lineup out week after week and expect a different result.

I think Barrett is a good assistant coach working directly on skills. His ability to see the full picture that a head coach needs to look at is non existent. Potter on the other hand seems to have more of a grasp on this.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Before getting too excited. While I so believe Potter is a big upgrade on Barrett. Our first 10 rounds of the season was probably the toughest run of any club to start the season.

That being said Barrett was clueless with how to fix anything. He would just role the same lineup out week after week and expect a different result.

I think Barrett is a good assistant coach working directly on skills. His ability to see the full picture that a head coach needs to look at is non existent. Potter on the other hand seems to have more of a grasp on this.
I agree our first 10 rounds was probably the toughest run of any club and I gave Barrett the benefit of the doubt because of that. But in saying that, after a confidence boosting win against the Roosters you'd think we'd at least beat the Raiders and Knights in the following 2 rounds who were both down the bottom with us at that time, or at a very minimum score 2-3 tries and get over the line. IMO that was confirmation that TBaz just didn't have it for Head Coach.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we signed Flanagan why not announce it now / weeks ago ? There's no reason not to.
If it was announced now, it would undermine the salvaging of 2022 that Mick Potter is doing a great job with.

If there is a Flanagan contract, it might be for 2023 and he might be onboarding already. Throwing another new coach at the Bulldogs within 6 weeks of the last - when they're starting to hit their straps - would only be detrimental.