News Phil Gould should call off the search - the Bulldogs have found their new head coach

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If nothing else Potter is helping Gould in his negotiations with Ciraldo, especially if Ciraldo thought he was in a one horse race.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s true, but you can’t just brush off this games as some sort of fluke. That’s as good of a performance as your likely to see from a Panthers team.
Oh we were strong, we forced errors and defended very strong. Line speed was incredible and 1% across the park. If we can do that on a weekly basis we are back baby but we need to do it first.

IN saying that we still cant shift the ball for shit and we couldn't buy a set play... but im sure that will come in time.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Potter is a good interim option, but he's not going to be attracting talent to the club
I think Gus has more than enough pulling power to attract players. Potter has made a big difference to this team and if we continue to improve under him, I think other players will notice that.

Personally, Flanno Snr worries me, given his record of dodginess. I think Gittker would be an unmitigated disaster and Ciraldo might turn out to be another Barrett. That leaves Maguire, Wolfe or Potter…unless Gus has a completely left field band up his sleeve. I’m honestly starting to think Mick is our best bet. It’s starting to look like he can really coach and his record at the tigers was more a reflection on the club than him. I’m starting to think he could do a good job for us.

I respect your right to disagree, of course… but just out of curiosity, who are you hoping we land, Covens? One of the names I mentioned above? Of someone from left field? I understand why a lot of people want Flanno… but I dunno. His history really worries me.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont need a lot more talent if the coach can get the best out of what we have, including who is coming next year.
i don’t believe the bs with “potter won’t attract talent” mate if the team is playing well, we will attract anyone and everyone. Players want to play together if the vibe On field is amazing and off the field. We have got a team that does both. Potter is there to mould it together. What we produced tonight is what we have wanted for the days since Hasler had us competitive in 2014 last time.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but 2 intercept tries, 2 off kicks, 1 from the Tballz playbook and 1 when the match was won is hardly anything to crow about. YES we outplayed the Eels but there needs to be more in my opinion so shut up Crawley!
I though our attack was awesome today (considering we still have Junk and Flamingo in the halves)

The first 2 tries off kicks were deliberate attacking kicks. The flukey tries off kicks are the 5th tackle hail mary bombs 1m out from the tryline. The tries we scored off kicks today were beatuiful. Most of the tries we scored between 02-06 were like that off the magical boot of Sherwin. It's taken us 16 years but we've finally got a kicker as good as Shifty

Flanno was useless as usual so I cant wait until we get a decenet 7 and unleash Burton.

I dont think Potter is the answer but he's putting Baz to shame. This is the sort of attack I expected from Baz

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Gus has more than enough pulling power to attract players. Potter has made a big difference to this team and if we continue to improve under him, I think other players will notice that.

Personally, Flanno Snr worries me, given his record of dodginess. I think Gittker would be an unmitigated disaster and Ciraldo might turn out to be another Barrett. That leaves Maguire, Wolfe or Potter…unless Gus has a completely left field band up his sleeve. I’m honestly starting to think Mick is our best bet. It’s starting to look like he can really coach and his record at the tigers was more a reflection on the club than him. I’m starting to think he could do a good job for us.

I respect your right to disagree, of course… but just out of curiosity, who are you hoping we land, Covens? One of the names I mentioned above? Of someone from left field? I understand why a lot of people want Flanno… but I dunno. His history really worries me.
Flanno not coming

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont need a lot more talent if the coach can get the best out of what we have, including who is coming next year.
Talent includes every level of recruitment. A promising junior might go one way or another if it's a sales pitch between Coach A or B.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We're 1-3 with Potter as coach. People go crazy after a win.
Yeh, but the attack was immediately better under Potter. So there is something there. Defence took a few more weeks. But yeh, its true we need to see the form backed up a lot more than 1 win, before saying we have turned a corner under Potter or he should be next coach. Im happy to have him IF we can continue to play good footy under him. We shall see.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I though our attack was awesome today (considering we still have Junk and Flamingo in the halves)

The first 2 tries off kicks were deliberate attacking kicks. The flukey tries off kicks are the 5th tackle hail mary bombs 1m out from the tryline. The tries we scored off kicks today were beatuiful. Most of the tries we scored between 02-06 were like that off the magical boot of Sherwin. It's taken us 16 years but we've finally got a kicker as good as Shifty

Flanno was useless as usual so I cant wait until we get a decenet 7 and unleash Burton.
I totally agree, the kicks and the tries were outstanding.. Even the footy we played was dead set bulldog like, it was our style. Not Des's or Penriths..

What im alluding to though is the line breaks, the short balls, the set plays, the tearing defensive lines to shreds.. Even a sweet shift play is something we still struggle with. Hopefully the boys can find it because the balls might not stick every week nor is Burtons boot on point.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Talent includes every level of recruitment. A promising junior might go one way or another if it's a sales pitch between Coach A or B.
yeh and nah. If its Bellamy or Bennett, or Robbo, maybe, but otherwise wont make a big difference. Gus will probably make more difference. And we already have the core of talent from next year as is, and Gus takes care of pathways. Kids dont aspire to play for a certain coach, they aspire to play FG

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely people weren’t expecting Potter to win his first game after taking over from 18 months of tbags bullshit.

Everything takes time and today was a great win. It won’t mean anything if we lose next week but who’s to say we haven’t turned the corner.

I don’t want to see Fittler here, have reservations on Ciraldo and Flanno. I’m not interested in what Potter did at Wests, no coach is ever going to fix that place.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What if Gould loves potter and potters loves gould

I think everyone looks at potters record at tigers and go his sht. But don’t realise that tigers have been the same issues for the last 10 years.

Potter deadset has stripped back the plan and you can see tonight the team clicked. Now in order to repeat this, we need to go back to our game against tigers and review what went wrong And right, to ensure we continue what we did with our attack and sort out our defence. Now we had tigers in our first game under so much media attention, so next week we should finally see how potter as a coach gets this team to rectify the past game and if we smash tigers next week then we definitely should start to talk about potter taking over
Review what went wrong with the tigers game? That’s easy, we gave them a big head start and let Nu Brown crash over from dummy half twice!

chuckynemo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Potter is allowing the boys to play their natural game and baz was trying to force them to play a certain way. Now a big fear would be if potter was the real deal and we do something stupid and sign fred roosterboy fitler with his 40% win record