We need type of Player with integrity

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our biggest problems is not just getting quality players. We need them to have good integrity before they get here. Before you
Laugh, have a think about it. Naden left who supposedly had drug issues, Dufty and Vaughan only left there club as they couldn’t follow orders too. Dufty is suppose to have behaviour issues when management spoke to him at Saints. Then you have a clash after full time where Naden and Dufty get into an issue together. Short term to hire blokes like this can sometimes work out, but overall it’s actually turns to shit most of the time. Look at our former legends of our club, mostly they kept there nose clean off the field also. I know we haven’t had much choice to pick from for the last 4 years or so. But look at some of our choices and they don’t last long term. Whilst Josh Jackson isn’t setting the world on fire at the moment, one thing for sure that keeps him as our captain is integrity and what he stands for. We need to pick players with great talent and integrity - and then we can work to try and keep them long term as a Bulldog Player.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a decent point. Back in 2009 when we had a rebuild we recruited blokes with good character. Kimmorley, Staggs, Michael Hodgson, J Moz. The only doubtful one was Ennis but he turned out to be a good family man with good values.

Green burger made a point at the time that we needed to recruit good people as well as good players

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wonder this. Would obviously help with team morale, if no dickheads. Yet roosters just signed B Smith, he’s an idiot. Munster has questions hanging over him, yet every club wants him. Haas, I’ll leave it there.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder this. Would obviously help with team morale, if no dickheads. Yet roosters just signed B Smith, he’s an idiot. Munster has questions hanging over him, yet every club wants him. Haas, I’ll leave it there.
It’s a risk to hire all 3. Long term i would back Haas over the 3 of them though. Long term they may work, but huge risk.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a risk to hire all 3. Long term i would back Haas over the 3 of them though. Long term they may work, but huge risk.
One last thing about Brandon Smith. The commentators mentioned the tackling style of him lately, he deliberately goes low and pulls players legs the opposite way of the main tackles. He injured a player again the other night. I think it was Jason Taumalolo. Thank goodness we didn’t hire this bloke, I think he’s trouble long term, regardless of how he plays football.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
U just need the right coach I think. Bennett has made a career out of giving players lifelines, at a bargain price

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Family man, Bulldog DNA, no dickhead policy, blah blah blah it’s all fluff. Fuck integrity! Aidan Tolman gives you integrity. I want rep players at the highest level. When was the last player we had that was an out and out star? Club should be ashamed of themselves that we are in this situation. We haven’t unearthed one genuine player thats top 3 in his position since Barba days and before that early 00s when we had SBW, Asotasi and Thurston.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
One last thing about Brandon Smith. The commentators mentioned the tackling style of him lately, he deliberately goes low and pulls players legs the opposite way of the main tackles. He injured a player again the other night. I think it was Jason Taumalolo. Thank goodness we didn’t hire this bloke, I think he’s trouble long term, regardless of how he plays football.
And the guy we got is a better hooker as well, bonus.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haas, Smith and Munster?? Yes please.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of our biggest problems is not just getting quality players. We need them to have good integrity before they get here. Before you
Laugh, have a think about it. Naden left who supposedly had drug issues, Dufty and Vaughan only left there club as they couldn’t follow orders too. Dufty is suppose to have behaviour issues when management spoke to him at Saints. Then you have a clash after full time where Naden and Dufty get into an issue together. Short term to hire blokes like this can sometimes work out, but overall it’s actually turns to shit most of the time. Look at our former legends of our club, mostly they kept there nose clean off the field also. I know we haven’t had much choice to pick from for the last 4 years or so. But look at some of our choices and they don’t last long term. Whilst Josh Jackson isn’t setting the world on fire at the moment, one thing for sure that keeps him as our captain is integrity and what he stands for. We need to pick players with great talent and integrity - and then we can work to try and keep them long term as a Bulldog Player.
Oh...Integrity it's a word that used to mean something :confused:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry disagree. This is a footy team not a Boy Scout group. Judge the players on their football talents not family values. Tolman was probably an angel role model who likely never copped a speeding fine, but can you honestly say he had the impact of say a Reni Maitua or SBW or even Willie Tonga? No chance…

Every team needs plays with a bit of thuggery (JWH, TPJ etc). Especially if we are trying to bring back the Dogs of War mantra

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s a decent point. Back in 2009 when we had a rebuild we recruited blokes with good character. Kimmorley, Staggs, Michael Hodgson, J Moz. The only doubtful one was Ennis but he turned out to be a good family man with good values.

Green burger made a point at the time that we needed to recruit good people as well as good players
All true but Greenberg was the same person who covered up a bunch of incidents for Barba. Who while he was a mess off the field, was the main reason we won the minor premiership and made the GF that year..

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Family man, Bulldog DNA, no dickhead policy, blah blah blah it’s all fluff. Fuck integrity! Aidan Tolman gives you integrity. I want rep players at the highest level. When was the last player we had that was an out and out star? Club should be ashamed of themselves that we are in this situation. We haven’t unearthed one genuine player thats top 3 in his position since Barba days and before that early 00s when we had SBW, Asotasi and Thurston.
Sorry just saw this after I already posted ! Similar to what I was saying

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry disagree. This is a footy team not a Boy Scout group. Judge the players on their football talents not family values. Tolman was probably an angel role model who likely never copped a speeding fine, but can you honestly say he had the impact of say a Reni Maitua or SBW or even Willie Tonga? No chance…

Every team needs plays with a bit of thuggery (JWH, TPJ etc). Especially if we are trying to bring back the Dogs of War mantra
He is not saying every recruit needs to be a cleanskin. But at least more than half should be.

The majority of our off season recruits had significant off field baggage. Naden, Vaughan , TPJ and Dufty all had suspensions from the integrity unit.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All true but Greenberg was the same person who covered up a bunch of incidents for Barba. Who while he was a mess off the field, was the main reason we won the minor premiership and made the GF that year..
As I said they don’t all have to be choirboys. But we need some strong leaders with strong values to help the others maintain some sort of team values.

Back in 2004 we had the rat pack but we also had blokes like Price, Patten, Hazem, Grimaldi and Ryan to keep them in check.

Each group was as important as the other