Barrett knew axe could fall if Dogs lost to Knights

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s the secret Gold Coast meeting that doesn’t fit the narrative being peddled by those who are insisting Trent Barrett was surprised by a board meeting on Monday to discuss his future and sacked by football manager Phil Gould.

On the Thursday night before Canterbury played Newcastle in Brisbane to kick off Magic Round, Barrett and his agent, Wayne Beavis, met with Gould and Bulldogs recruitment manager Peter Sharp at Omeros Bros restaurant. I can’t tell you what they ate, but I can tell you what they discussed. Going into that dinner, Barrett was more than aware of the growing pressure. He knew a loss the following night would see the knives out for him.

When Gould got off air on Sunday night after calling the football for Channel Nine, he got a message from Beavis to say Barrett had quit. Some have claimed he quit when he found out about the board meeting; that he was stunned by the news. However, he already knew about the meeting and its announcement in the media on Sunday afternoon was no surprise for Barrett.

The board sub-committee that was to meet last Monday to discuss several matters, including team performance, had actually met on two previous occasions in the weeks leading up to Barrett’s departure, following the losses to the Broncos and Raiders. The same matters had been discussed at those meetings.

Barrett was aware those meetings had taken place. Gould’s recommendation on both occasions was to be patient and support the coach.

The players were told on Monday that Barrett had quit. Most didn’t flinch. However, Jackson was upset and Jack Hetherington was furious. They also knew they were the group that, ultimately, put Barrett in this situation. And they have been told, in no uncertain terms, they are all on notice. Very few are safe, contract or no contract, and that includes the big names.

Barrett too needs to accept his share of the blame for the club’s dismal start to the season. His recruitment was desperate, his coaching was too advanced for the team, and he didn’t change. It has been his biggest fault as a coach; an inability to listen and learn from past mistakes. That stubborn approach saw him lose the faith of powerbrokers at Manly when he was coach and it came back to bite him at the Bulldogs.

Weidler

Malla

Reaction score
I still can't get my head around some players (Hetherington for example) being upset and furious that Barrett had quit when it was THEIR performances on the field that put Barrett in that situation lol

Anyway, it's all starting to make a bit more sense to me. Laundy signed on to be our sponsors because of Barrett, Hanson was paid by the club/Laundy for Barrett. Barrett recruitment players he wanted... Burton, JAC, Naden, Hetherington, Vaughan, Dufty, Waddell... Barrett was given autonomy to do all this by previous regime.

When did John Khoury take over as chairman? 2021? Anyway, he was the one who got Gus back because of the above - Barrett done too much and we were still shit. Gus let it be for the first 6 months before stepping in and changing shit. Barrett was always going to be first gone. Hanson now gone. A lot of players gone too and Laundy will be next gone.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because Gus is still lying about it. He started the BS rumour.
No one has any proof of Gus lying on this, that of itself doesn't prove he didn't, but Weidler's account matches other things that we know. I'm sure that there is stuff we don't know about, however the broad picture that Barrett called it quits rings true, and no one has produced anything clear that contradicts this. The board meeting was being held on Monday to decide what to do about Barrett, if he was going to be sacked it would have been on Monday. Gould was busy with media commitments on Sunday afternoon and into the evening, and he doesn't make that decision on his own anyway. None of what we know fits a sacking, but it does fit a quitting.

Note that Weidler has introduced into the narrative Barrett's agent, that is a loud opportunity for other members of the media to go check the story with a 3rd party. The one's with an agenda won't bother.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be fooled, when your Boss who looks the other way when your performances are sub-par gets the sack, the automatic reaction in any employment is....... OH F@CK, there goes my comfort zone. I wonder which arse hole will be my new boss and now I will have to work harder.
Gee we had it good with Baz. No more free ride & my job might actually be at risk.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Solid read, lacks the over exaggeration and onsidedness that we are used from the rabble that comes from Fox/drunk/k@nty and the sook.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s the secret Gold Coast meeting that doesn’t fit the narrative being peddled by those who are insisting Trent Barrett was surprised by a board meeting on Monday to discuss his future and sacked by football manager Phil Gould.

On the Thursday night before Canterbury played Newcastle in Brisbane to kick off Magic Round, Barrett and his agent, Wayne Beavis, met with Gould and Bulldogs recruitment manager Peter Sharp at Omeros Bros restaurant. I can’t tell you what they ate, but I can tell you what they discussed. Going into that dinner, Barrett was more than aware of the growing pressure. He knew a loss the following night would see the knives out for him.

When Gould got off air on Sunday night after calling the football for Channel Nine, he got a message from Beavis to say Barrett had quit. Some have claimed he quit when he found out about the board meeting; that he was stunned by the news. However, he already knew about the meeting and its announcement in the media on Sunday afternoon was no surprise for Barrett.

The board sub-committee that was to meet last Monday to discuss several matters, including team performance, had actually met on two previous occasions in the weeks leading up to Barrett’s departure, following the losses to the Broncos and Raiders. The same matters had been discussed at those meetings.

Barrett was aware those meetings had taken place. Gould’s recommendation on both occasions was to be patient and support the coach.

The players were told on Monday that Barrett had quit. Most didn’t flinch. However, Jackson was upset and Jack Hetherington was furious. They also knew they were the group that, ultimately, put Barrett in this situation. And they have been told, in no uncertain terms, they are all on notice. Very few are safe, contract or no contract, and that includes the big names.

Barrett too needs to accept his share of the blame for the club’s dismal start to the season. His recruitment was desperate, his coaching was too advanced for the team, and he didn’t change. It has been his biggest fault as a coach; an inability to listen and learn from past mistakes. That stubborn approach saw him lose the faith of powerbrokers at Manly when he was coach and it came back to bite him at the Bulldogs.

Weidler
Refreshing and more believable version of events. Weidler must of had a sip of the truth serum.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL at Jackson being upset at Baz's sacking. Tolman won't be our halfback anymore and he probably knows his time is up at the Dogs. Used to love the bloke but I can't stand him anymore. He is the poster boy for everything that is wrong with our club. Imagine being upset that Mr 11% was sacked. Every player that tolerates mediocrity needs to fuck off

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The way I've heard Gus talk about Baz stepping down and not being sacked makes me think it's genuine (not sure how/why you'd lie with so much detail) but also I don't get why he wasn't sacked, especially earlier, either.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any player, including the captain, who wants to blame anyone but themselves and the coaching staff (including Barrett) for the demise of Barrett as coach are quickly losing credibility. The decision whether it was made by Barrett, the board or Gould was forced due to the on field performances and results generated by the players and the coaches.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barrett does have form with quitting when the heat is on. Simply walked away from Manly when the questions started being asked.

Nice bloke obviously, but maybe not so tough mentally.