Opinion Averillo

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because we needed a halfback and the club doesn't know how to manage young player though the grades. I'm still laughing at the whole droped after 2 game bs, plays 5/8 in reserve grade and then promoted to first grade at centre.
Good players adapt mate.

He has had plenty of chances in the top grade but I am not seeing anything that demands selection week to week.

I had high hopes when he burst onto the scene but I have been disappointed with where he is at lately.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think if Jake is to make FG a fulltime gig he needs to play fullback. He defends better than Dufty, can pass and does have pace as well as the ability to kick as another option for the team. He will be less involved defensively but needs to get a voice to direct traffic. If he could make that spot his we dont need to waste money on an establishe FB and can concetrate on filling the 7.

Does my head in that Barrett and Pay refused to try him there..
Let me try and save your head, I have seen Averillo at training sessions and he is horrid at catching the high ball. That may or may not be the reason why he has not been given a go at fullback, until he can demonstrate an improvement in that important area.

Always a Bulldog

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all honesty I feel sorry for Jake, he’s totally had the instinctive footy coached out of him which is obvious because he goes back to Reggie’s with no preconceived ideas on how to run Baz system and kills it.

He gets recalled and he goes back to so-so.

In his debut season he showed enough promise to give us long suffering fans hope, but he has been reinvented, shuffled, dumped, recalled in the 37 games he’s played.

The kid don’t know if he’s coming or going…prob needs to see a sports psychologist cos he (along with other youngsters in the squad) play like the fun has been coached out of them.
Thats exactly what Brisbane did to Barba when he joined them and he was garbage for them.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We said exactley the same thing about , Sean Lane, Martin Taupau, Mat Frawley, Corey Herawiranara, Marcelo Montoya, Adam Elliot, Aden Tolman, Moses Mby, Morgan Harper, Damion Cook, Nick Meaney Ramos Smith. And just look how they have turned out at rival clubs maybe it's not the player but the way that they are bey being coached that seems to be the problem.
Moses isnt playing better football.... his best playing days were at the dogs!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good players adapt mate.

He has had plenty of chances in the top grade but I am not seeing anything that demands selection week to week.

I had high hopes when he burst onto the scene but I have been disappointed with where he is at lately.
Adapt to what exactly? He was kid playing a role he had fuck all experience in and was then dumped 2 games into a new season for some ridiculous exercise with Flanagan. He needed to be developed but we're nothing but a graveyard for developing talent.

I agree he doesn't deserve to be selected right now, his confidence is shot and he's showing fuck all energy on the field. Needs to spend time in reserves away from the first grade side and given clear instructions on what is expected of him and shouldn't come back until he lifts his intensity and becomes a dominant figure in reserves. It shouldn't be that hard if he and the club put in the effort in, was pretty dominant at times in his 2 games there this season despite looking disinterested.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let me try and save your head, I have seen Averillo at training sessions and he is horrid at catching the high ball. That may or may not be the reason why he has not been given a go at fullback, until he can demonstrate an improvement in that important area.

Always a Bulldog
So what? Jakes biggest issue is mental not physical, I cant remember what game it was last year but he got hammered a couple of times and struggled for confidence after it. He needs to play fullback in reggies and learn how to catch the high ball hopefully given all the support he needs by the new coaching staff, we have also employed to replace the phoneys we currently have.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Honestly. Id give him a crack at FB against a bottom team like the knights.

Dufty isnt is our future plans (hopefully)
Imo reggies is the place to try that..if he ballsed it up in FG(fairly possible)this joint would triple the shit canning the kid has already copped, even though it would be a debut game in the position.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adapt to what exactly? He was kid playing a role he had fuck all experience in and was then dumped 2 games into a new season for some ridiculous exercise with Flanagan. He needed to be developed but we're nothing but a graveyard for developing talent.

I agree he doesn't deserve to be selected right now, his confidence is shot and he's showing fuck all energy on the field. Needs to spend time in reserves away from the first grade side and given clear instructions on what is expected of him and shouldn't come back until he lifts his intensity and becomes a dominant figure in reserves. It shouldn't be that hard if he and the club put in the effort in, was pretty dominant at times in his 2 games there this season despite looking disinterested.
If he was a bona fide 5/8, we would have seen glimpses of it playing both 7 and 3. His problem ain’t the position we are playing him, it’s he’s not up to the standard in first grade.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If he was a bona fide 5/8, we would have seen glimpses of it playing both 7 and 3. His problem ain’t the position we are playing him, it’s he’s not up to the standard in first grade.
We have seen it.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
he has already proven himself in first grade, so your theory is incorrect.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again the ransom holds on for another week. This flog keeps getting picked even though he is bog average

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate what about Mathew Ryan always stood up when it mattered the most aka 1995
Love me some Matthew Ryan.

A chronic back injury greatly hampered his career.

When 100% fit he was a real handful.

Played origin for NSW on three occasions (1997 super league) and was also the leading try scorer in the competition.

Very underrated player.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully Kiraz and Alamoti will overtake him soon.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Mate what about Mathew Ryan always stood up when it mattered the most aka 1995
Yes - very good call seven07.

I should have included Matty Ryan.

Great player and a good bloke too - had a number of conversations with him back in the day.

Unfortunately, he had to retire early due to a lower back injury.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if Jake is to make FG a fulltime gig he needs to play fullback. He defends better than Dufty, can pass and does have pace as well as the ability to kick as another option for the team. He will be less involved defensively but needs to get a voice to direct traffic. If he could make that spot his we dont need to waste money on an establishe FB and can concetrate on filling the 7.

Does my head in that Barrett and Pay refused to try him there..
Desperate but so true.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good players adapt mate.

And where he has been for 18 months.

Waldo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Avo will be fullback next year, anyone watch the press conference. He talks about being injury replacement in the half’s and fullback