Opinion Bulldogs Dodge Bullet With Brandon Smith

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Just remember, Eels claimed him as their junior too lol

Reed Mahoney is an Eels junior, joining the Club in 2017 and went with the Eels National Youth Competition (NYC) side to the grand final. In 2018 he played off the bench for the Queensland U20 squad that won the State of Origin match against New South Wales
the world has gone stupid

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Mahoney started his football in Queensland, playing for the Kawana Dolphins and Beerwah Bulldogs as junior. Before being scouted by the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs for their SG ball team. After playing for Canterbury's Under 20's side, Mahoney was released by the club midway through the year after Canterbury declared he would never play first grade and rejected the offer of $1500 to keep him.
how does that make him a dogs junior?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is true because like contracts, TPA's (which include boxing matches and presenter duties) have to be registered and approved with the NRL.

Do clubs breach the cap, absolutely, every year we hear of this club or that one (even mine) breaching the cap to the tune of 50-500 grand and many times they self-report when discovered as it's simply bad book keeping. I'm half expecting us to get breached next year with all the second tier players we used this year due to the injuries.

But the days or systemic rorting in the same vein as yours or the Storm set up are long gone as it's been proven you can't keep them secret. Players talk, employees talk, eventually someone who's involved either gets cold feet or ushered out the door and they spill the beans.

The fact you believe my club is involved in one of those types of rorts and has gotten away with it for this long is both insulting and complementary at the same time.
I have plenty of respect for your opinion on most things. But in this instance you resemble people in the thread about corruption and misdeeds of the church who are too emotionally invested to admit that the institution they love can do wrong.

When our cheating payments were disclosed it was by a potential builder from memory that lost out on a contract that was worth millions. He exposed the fact that the club was sponsoring Anasta through the Oasis project which supposedly led to the NRL investigating it fully.

When Melbourne were caught, it was supposedly a secretary who handed over the second set of books.

So far no player I know of has come forward and admitted that they've fraudulently accepted payments direct from the club outside the cap. You also rarely see bank robbers step forward and admit they were in the wrong. Burglars don't often walk into the police station and let them know they stole shit. Pedophiles don't often come forward of their own accord.

So it's not surprising to me that Roosters players don't put their names at risk by freely admitting they knowingly collect payments that cheat the salary cap.

Your club hasn't been caught out. Doesn't mean they aren't guilty of anything.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely complementary, Politis has done a fantastic job for over a decade of getting players to the Chooks that would not otherwise go anywhere near them. This has enabled them to be consistently competitive which then adds to their attraction. Which he does by skirting around the rules very skillfully, and/or bending the rules to suite his objective and then getting the NRL to agree to them. What the NRL should do is release to the other clubs whatever clarifications on rules that they have issued (same as the ATO does). For example Cronk's $250k Harvard "scholarship" ($140k Harvard fees over 3 years and $110k for living expenses), most NRL clubs assumed that it was limited to Australian tertiary educations institutions and did not include living expenses in another country. It wouldn't have to be specific just that "overseas tertiary education and expenses are allowed".

The NRL's objectives with the Salary Cap (one of which is evening up the competition) should extend to clarifications provided to all clubs on any items that are ruled to be exempt that may not be obvious from the regs themselves. They don't do that and they absolutely should, otherwise they are working against their own objective by allowing one club to exploit loopholes to the disadvantage of the other clubs. If the Salary Cap is the same for all clubs then the interpretations of it should be the same.

FWIW, there wouldn't be any "contracts" for golf matches with the Chairman, maybe to cover arse the player could certify as to his golf handicap with the NRL. Or maybe provide a stat dec that he is a poker machine addict. Cash is hard to trace, especially after it has been washed through gambling.

Always a Bulldog
I agree no club should get an advantage over another, but it's the smart ones that find and use the loopholes you're talking about and those loopholes can be difficult to close. For instance, Souths' boast they are the Indigenous club claiming they know how to take care of their indigenous stars. That is appealing to an indigenous player and something the NRL would struggle to counter without a PR disaster. Sure it's something other clubs can declare, but Souths have a monopoly of it at the moment.

Storm are the TPA kings, Broncos can sweep player indiscretions under their massive carpet, Tigers always overpay, etc. There will always be differences between clubs and whether they can turn these differences into an advantage will separate the smart ones from the dumb ones.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storm are the TPA kings, Broncos can sweep player indiscretions under their massive carpet, Tigers always overpay, etc. There will always be differences between clubs and whether they can turn these differences into an advantage will separate the smart ones from the dumb ones.
And the Chooks are the kings of having their players miraculously winning grand jackpots on the pokies at the leagues club once a month :tearsofjoy: $650k on cap, $120k in pokie wins over the course of the year

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I agree no club should get an advantage over another, but it's the smart ones that find and use the loopholes you're talking about and those loopholes can be difficult to close. For instance, Souths' boast they are the Indigenous club claiming they know how to take care of their indigenous stars. That is appealing to an indigenous player and something the NRL would struggle to counter without a PR disaster. Sure it's something other clubs can declare, but Souths have a monopoly of it at the moment.

Those factors you exampled are individual club characteristics, culture and/or traits Kam.

Gaming the system, rorting payments to snaffle all the best talent, is totally different, against the intention of a level playing field, contrary to the laws of the game and currently illegal, (although unofficially sanctioned by the complicent NRLol and media).

League fans aren't going to be putting up with it for much longer without demanding a full account of contract terms and conditions.

It's getting too blatant now.

There is a huge groundswell of talk on the league socials about it.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have plenty of respect for your opinion on most things. But in this instance you resemble people in the thread about corruption and misdeeds of the church who are too emotionally invested to admit that the institution they love can do wrong.

When our cheating payments were disclosed it was by a potential builder from memory that lost out on a contract that was worth millions. He exposed the fact that the club was sponsoring Anasta through the Oasis project which supposedly led to the NRL investigating it fully.

When Melbourne were caught, it was supposedly a secretary who handed over the second set of books.

So far no player I know of has come forward and admitted that they've fraudulently accepted payments direct from the club outside the cap. You also rarely see bank robbers step forward and admit they were in the wrong. Burglars don't often walk into the police station and let them know they stole shit. Pedophiles don't often come forward of their own accord.

So it's not surprising to me that Roosters players don't put their names at risk by freely admitting they knowingly collect payments that cheat the salary cap.

Your club hasn't been caught out. Doesn't mean they aren't guilty of anything.
Criminals turn each other in for lesser punishment all the time, particularly if it leads to a bigger fish being fried. There's no reason to think a player couldn't turn on their club for a lesser punishment and in our case, how much of a hero would they be for exposing the Roosters for rorting the cap? They'd be pronounced a hero of the code!

I understand with us it's guilty until proven innocent, but given we will never be able to prove our innocence even though we've never been caught, I think this is a moot argument.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those factors you exampled are individual club characteristics, culture and/or traits Kam.

Gaming the system, rorting payments to snaffle all the best talent, is totally different, against the intention of a level playing field, contrary to the laws of the game and currently illegal, (although unofficially sanctioned by the complicent NRLol and media).

League fans aren't going to be putting up with it for much longer without demanding a full account of contract terms and conditions.

It's getting too blatent now.

There is a huge groundswell of talk on the league socials about it.
And if there was a full and complete audit of all contracts, tax records and TPA's on all NRL players and the Roosters were found to be not rorting the system, it would convince no one.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And if there was a full and complete audit of all contracts, tax records and TPA's on all NRL players and the Roosters were found to be not rorting the system, it would convince no one.
I guess so.
You guys can keep your black hats ;)

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m so glad that we landed our junior reed mahoney over Brandon smith.
The way Brandon has carried himself during negotiations has been appalling to say the least.
Our club has been through the mud with off field incidents we don’t need any more rubbish from players damaging the hard work of the new board.
Go Dogs from spooners to premiers .
He is a grub...bullet dodged for sure...and I personally think he is over rated

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a report today that Cheese gave a verbal agreement to the Dolphins (and so they dropped off Mahoney).

So he's a bit of an untrustworthy character it seems and totally f..ked up that club. So glad we signed Mahoney before Cheese fell in love with the Cocks otherwise we would have had to pay much more.

What do you get when you mix a bunch of Cocks (Roosters) with Brandon Smith ?

DICK CHEESE

I hope he likes his new name

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

In case you didn't know or just pretending you don't, I will repeat what I know about how your club does it...
Every year they hold an invitation only fans night that includes some very rich friends of you know who,
During the night those rich friends directly and individually pledge support to different players.
For the club it's a case of see no evil hear no evil, after all they didn't get involved they didn't negotiate and of course it's only a fans night...Try and prove otherwise.
I've always believed...Where there is a will there's a way !

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
In case you didn't know or just pretending you don't, I will repeat what I know about how your club does it...
Every year they hold an invitation only fans night that includes some very rich friends of you know who,
During the night those rich friends directly and individually pledge support to different players.
For the club it's a case of see no evil hear no evil, after all they didn't get involved they didn't negotiate and of course it's only a fans night...Try and prove otherwise.
I've always believed...Where there is a will there's a way !
I need an invite

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

“Storm are the TPA kings”. mmmmm not sure about that, they’re very good but the Rorters won 2 premierships. Uncle Nick, “The Godfather” is pretty hard to beat.