Tigers Confirm Talks With Cotric

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Coming in late to the conversation here and admittedly I haven't read previous comments.... But it's not a good look for potential recruits when we're regretting their signing almost the next day and trying to palm them off to anyone that'll take them.

For the last 7 years we've signed and offloaded players as quick as they came and we've done the same to our older guys as well. We've lost all sense of loyalty and sticking to our word as a club.

How many club veterans have we had retire at the club in 7 years?
How many club veterans have we had worth keeping during that time? We've missed the finals for five straight years and have had a shocking record over that time. Why would we re-sign any of those players?

We signed Burton, Fox, TPJ, Mahoney, Kikau, Vaughan, Dufty, Naden etc.. Clearly players aren't turned off by us moving on from players like Woods early. They know it's just business and every club does it. Players will see us as a club on the rise and want to play with the stars that we've signed. Plus Gus and Khoury are building something and know how to sell the vision of the club.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure that he will make his debut this coming season......will he be ready? He is a special kid. I like to think he will be more than ready to take his opportunity and stake his claim to first grade.
Fark it would be nice to have a dynamic tackle busting centre who can make something out of nothing.

Last edited:

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dwz had almost as many positives as cotric. We got rid of him because he was overpaid (as he didn't work out as a fullback). Do we regret that decision a year on? No, not really even though we never really replaced him. I don't think this will be all that different in the long run. Yes we're a better team with him.. buuuut there's this thing called a salary cap, and we'd be better investing his money elsewhere

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dwz had almost as many positives as cotric. We got rid of him because he was overpaid (as he didn't work out as a fullback). Do we regret that decision a year on? No, not really even though we never really replaced him. I don't think this will be all that different in the long run. Yes we're a better team with him.. buuuut there's this thing called a salary cap, and we'd be better investing his money elsewhere
Yep great example & points!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dwz had far more issues than cotric in my opinion.

We also replaced him with better players.

No disrespect to dwz. The bloke gave it his all. He was a ballsy bloke that went Fucking hard always and gave his best. Though his hands and decisions often let him down.

Cotric not in that convo to me.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying he hasn't played well at centre because he has, but overall he's average in the role imo. With Cotric gone I think Naden to the wing is the right call...strong in the air, strong kick returns, good finisher, etc.

What bugs me is people thinking every new recruit is miles better than what they really are. Naden is a good athlete but has plenty of flaws and isn't anywhere near good enough to be a no questions asked starter at centre. If he starts there he starts there, it's not a major issue, I just think we're better off with him on the wing than some shitter and someone else starting at centre.
I know it’s a highlights package but if you watch this you’ll see most of his best plays came from the centre position

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well said. People were complaining about letting him go last year and having to pay some freight to do it. Look at the signings we've made since by moving on from his bad contract and Elliott etc. Sometimes people get too caught up in the moment, get too attached to players and don't see the big picture.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dwz had far more issues than cotric in my opinion.

We also replaced him with better players.

No disrespect to dwz. The bloke gave it his all. He was a ballsy bloke that went Fucking hard always and gave his best. Though his hands and decisions often let him down.

Cotric not in that convo to me.
YEP
Cotric

Pretty big fukn gap

DWZ who was also on significantly more money!!

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said. People were complaining about letting him go last year and having to pay some freight to do it. Look at the signings we've made since by moving on from his bad contract and Elliott etc. Sometimes people get too caught up in the moment, get too attached to players and don't see the big picture.
Having a little more faith in the people making the decisions probably wouldn't go astray either.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Guys, I can tell you first hand that Naden will be played as a left centre. Shoupp has been training on the right side which is different to where he played last year
Not saying your wrong but naden has played mostly right centre for Penrith when he’s played and shouup left centre it’s strange that they are swapping them around now

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I know it’s a highlights package but if you watch this you’ll see most of his best plays came from the centre position

I'm not saying he can't play centre because he can and probably will, but overall he's a better winger and if Cotric's not here than I'd rather him there than some shitter.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
YEP
Cotric

Pretty big fukn gap

DWZ who was also on significantly more money!!
Cotric made plenty of bad errors last year too. Had lots of games where he barely did anything and looked like he didn't care. He didn't have one game as good as DWZ's best games with us where he'd make 200-250 metres.

DWZ had hands for feet and made shocking errors and decisions at times but at least he played hard. Let's not pretend that Cotric is without his flaws. DWZ isn't as consistent as Cotric and I'd rather have Cotric but it's not as if Cotric is an immortal that's irreplaceable.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I can tell you first hand that Naden will be played as a left centre. Shoupp has been training on the right side which is different to where he played last year
How's Schoupp's shoulder injury? I expected him to be rehabbing till at least the new year after a full rotater-cuff repair.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Fox is on the left, definitely need a centre with passing skills on that side.
We're probably going to stack the left side like Penrith did. JAC/Naden is potentially a good combo and have JAC outside of Naden might help Naden defensively. Anyway I'm certain what we start with won't be what we finish the season with.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We're probably going to stack the left side like Penrith did. JAC/Naden is potentially a good combo and have JAC outside of Naden might help Naden defensively. Anyway I'm certain what we start with won't be what we finish the season with.
Hopefully we borrow a bit from the Storm and JAC/Naden switch around in certain situations