Official Gus on Twitter

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
W
Are you serious ????

No place for common sense on here. Take that shit elsewhere.

Stick to :

Sell Flanno back to sharks
Sell Allan back to South’s
We should have got Reynolds
Lachie Lewis at lock
Sack Baz
What’s our lineup for 2045 ?
Make cheese an offer he can’t refuse
If we kept Remis we would have premiers this year
What’s any of that got to do with our teams fitness?

Always a Bulldog

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a comparison. Reynolds 83 attacking kicks, 9 forced drop outs, 8 kicked dead, 14 kick errors. Jake 71 attacking kicks, 9 forced drops outs, 4 kicked dead, 11 kicker errors.

Obviously Reynolds is a much, much better general play kicker than Jake but the idea that Jake is continually fucking up is wrong. We're kicking if far worse positions than Souths, we've got far more limited opportunities than Souths, our overall approach to kicking is inferior to Souths (kick chase, attacking kicks), etc...there's so many things at play here than need to be considered here rather than just saying he can't do this or can't do that when we have at times seen him do it. I think the fact that us being so bad and having limited opportunities really made the mistakes stick out. A kick error by Jake meant we're probably conceding the next set or being buried in our own half and not going on the attacking for 10+ minutes. Meanwhile a kick error from Souths or other side's may easily be defended and they're back on the attack in no time.

I'm not saying he doesn't need to improve or that he's a traditional halfback because he defenitely does need to improve and he definitely isn't a traditional halfback. I just think he's capable and that a traditional halfback isn't required in the current state of the game. People forget that he's trying to learn a new role (probably the hardest role in the NRL) on the run with a total rabble of a side with no support. He's learning to manage his responsibilities while dealing with things like fatigue in the NRL and other factors.

Facts are that he should never been in this position to begin with at this stage of his career. The style of halfback that Baz wanted was way too demanding and put way too much responsibility on the halfback. Flanagan was a total flop and Jake was forced into the role despite a more "natural halfback" in Wakeham being in the squad. You just have to give it to him to start the season unless he has a shocker or someone else kills it, otherwise it was just a total waste throwing him into the role when Wakeham could've slotted him and Jake could've played 5/8, or develop at centre or even fullback.

I do agree with you on the passing though, I haven't seen much of a long passing game from him across the grades other than the basic. Short passing isn't as big a concern, he's capable and was quite effective at taking the ball right to the line and putting his backrower into space with a short ball. He played about 2 games in reserve grade and looked to do it a few times to some effect, was also a highlights package for i think Doorey where Jake put him through a few times.
Good points. I agree Jake’s errors probably did stand out more because of the limited scoring opportunities we created.

We did see flashes of brilliance from Averillo, but we need much more consistency from our halfback to give this comp a real shake. Hopefully with better players around him he can go to the next level

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here's a comparison. Reynolds 83 attacking kicks, 9 forced drop outs, 8 kicked dead, 14 kick errors. Jake 71 attacking kicks, 9 forced drops outs, 4 kicked dead, 11 kicker errors.

Obviously Reynolds is a much, much better general play kicker than Jake but the idea that Jake is continually fucking up is wrong. We're kicking if far worse positions than Souths, we've got far more limited opportunities than Souths, our overall approach to kicking is inferior to Souths (kick chase, attacking kicks), etc...there's so many things at play here than need to be considered here rather than just saying he can't do this or can't do that when we have at times seen him do it. I think the fact that us being so bad and having limited opportunities really made the mistakes stick out. A kick error by Jake meant we're probably conceding the next set or being buried in our own half and not going on the attacking for 10+ minutes. Meanwhile a kick error from Souths or other side's may easily be defended and they're back on the attack in no time.

I'm not saying he doesn't need to improve or that he's a traditional halfback because he defenitely does need to improve and he definitely isn't a traditional halfback. I just think he's capable and that a traditional halfback isn't required in the current state of the game. People forget that he's trying to learn a new role (probably the hardest role in the NRL) on the run with a total rabble of a side with no support. He's learning to manage his responsibilities while dealing with things like fatigue in the NRL and other factors.

Facts are that he should never been in this position to begin with at this stage of his career. The style of halfback that Baz wanted was way too demanding and put way too much responsibility on the halfback. Flanagan was a total flop and Jake was forced into the role despite a more "natural halfback" in Wakeham being in the squad. You just have to give it to him to start the season unless he has a shocker or someone else kills it, otherwise it was just a total waste throwing him into the role when Wakeham could've slotted him and Jake could've played 5/8, or develop at centre or even fullback.

I do agree with you on the passing though, I haven't seen much of a long passing game from him across the grades other than the basic. Short passing isn't as big a concern, he's capable and was quite effective at taking the ball right to the line and putting his backrower into space with a short ball. He played about 2 games in reserve grade and looked to do it a few times to some effect, was also a highlights package for i think Doorey where Jake put him through a few times.
I dont think I have ever agreed more with one of your posts.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't agree on any lack of fitness, there is always going to be fatigue;
  • When you have to defend for substantially more than half of the game.
  • When you have no strike players to get out of your own red zone.
  • When the refs allow the opposition to ridiculously encroach on the 10 metres, so it's almost impossible to get out of you own 10 metres.
  • When you are struggling hard, working hard and still failing to score points.
  • When you have substantially less than 50% of the possession.
  • When the refs cane the shit out of you and the penalty count is 10 to 1 and you don't get set restart until the 70th minute.
  • Especially when most of the above happens week after week and game after game.
How did we look fitness wise in the last game of the season, when we should have been totally spent mentally and physically? The players walked of the field looking like it was Captains run, they could have played another 80 minutes.

Always a Bulldog
Yup, way too simplistic to put down the way we look at the 70 minute mark as a "fitness issue", there are many variables. A really important one is confidence, which was in short supply in 21.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hey guys I don't have Twitter..... Can someone with an account please ask gus how Steve masters is going?