News Josh Aloiai tests positive to Covid

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The blockbuster fight between Paul Gallen and Manly prop Josh Aloiai has been canned at the last minute following a positive Covid test.

The Paul Gallen – Josh Aloiai heavyweight fight on December 10 has been called off after tests revealed Aloiai has Covid.
The Manly Sea Eagles front-rower is understood to have fallen ill on Monday after a session in his gym.

He is now being treated for Covid-19. It is unclear if he was vaccinated.

Promoter Matt Rose will try to reschedule the fight for January but there are doubts about Aloiai’s availability because of his football commitments with the Sea Eagles.

It is more likely Rose will have to find another opponent.

“Health and safety comes first with the boxers,” Rose said.

“Still the news is pretty devastating. Gal has trained so hard for so long.

“He had an awesome card with the pro debut of Harry Garside.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bwahahaha…. I hope this spreads rampant thru Manly

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
May not be much of a fight but i think i read SBW and Hall has been confirmed? I alway thought Hall would have gone better post GAYfl unsure as to why he didn't, lack of training, age, actual ability...

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not many have done boxing whilst playing footy at a young age, the ones that did 5 or more years boxing when younger pick it up very quickly when older.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gallen beat him didn't he? i just thought he was from boxing stock, his old man? but might be wrong, always looked like he could go could be he just lacks Gall's heart, i dont like that bloke much but he sure has a set of kahoneys on him.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if TPJ will fight Gal at some point. Would be glorious to see.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Gallen beat him didn't he? i just thought he was from boxing stock, his old man? but might be wrong, always looked like he could go could be he just lacks Gall's heart, i dont like that bloke much but he sure has a set of kahoneys on him.
Hall was supposedly a golden gloves champ when he was younger or some shit like that. And Gallen still beat him lol.

Spewing Gallen v Oshie Olay got cancelled, would've been pretty good to see Gal knock that imbecile unconscious.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

‘Fully vaccinated’ Manly star tests positive for Covid after training with Joey Leilua

Manly Sea Eagles player Josh Aloiai has become the first NRL player to test positive for Covid-19, which has seen his highly-anticipated fight against Paul Gallen cancelled.

Aloiai was set to square off against Gallen in Newcastle on December 10, and called in sick to a promotional photo shoot on Tuesday.

Manly confirmed Aloiai was fully vaccinated and hasn’t interacted in person with his teammates recently.

“Manly Warringah Sea Eagles can confirm NRL player Josh Aloiai has today received a positive Covid test result,” the club said on Wednesday afternoon.

“Josh was not due to return to official team training until mid-December and has had no recent face to face contact with his Manly teammates.

“Josh is fully vaccinated and the Club is working with the NRL to ensure he follows NSW Health Orders and NRL protocols over the coming weeks.”

The NRL has not mandated the vaccine, meaning the 29-year-old is free to play under league regulations.

Fox Sports understands Wests Tigers discard Joey Leilua, who was training with Aloiai and due to fight on the card, may have tested positive several days ago.

Aloiai received a positive result on Wednesday morning.

Leilua was scheduled to fight Chris Heighington on the undercard in Newcastle.

Organisers hopeful of rescheduling the fight night for later in December.

But Leilua is unlikely to appear at a postponed event as he just signed with English side Featherstone and was set to fly out after the bout.

Foxsports.com.au contacted Manly regarding the vaccination status of its players last month.

“All players are strongly encouraged to get vaccinated and the club will provide and assist in any medical advice,” the club said.

Sea Eagles utility Dylan Walker reluctantly received the vaccine before signing a new one-year deal at the club last week.

The Panthers issued a stern warning to hooker Api Koroisau last week, outlining the “very clear consequences” if he remains unvaccinated against Covid-19.

Penrith aren’t ready to sack Koroisau but will fine him heavily and have reminded the representative player how his absence will impact the team.

The Bulldogs issued recruit John Asiata a letter of termination last week due to his refusal to be vaccinated.

Asiata recently signed a one-year deal with the Canterbury side, but the 28-year-old said he’d rather work on a construction site than get jabbed.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
^Had to laugh at the last paragraph. Asiata would rather work on a construction site than get jabbed, pretty sure someone has pointed out previously that construction sites are more strict on Covid jabs than the NRL is lol.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Josh has hands and would’ve presented a good challenge for Gal.

His late father was a good fighter and trained all 3 boys (Josh and twin brothers). Boxing was ingrained in them all.

One of the twins married my niece in Auckland.