Rumour Brandon smith done deal

DogSince67

40 years a Dog!
Reaction score
Maybe working it out is to look at the Storm team and where they need to improve their side. Like last year I think they are weak on their right side though they got away with it. Bellamy works wonders with players that aren't rated highly so there are number of Dogs backs that are like that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe working it out is to look at the Storm team and where they need to improve their side. Like last year I think they are weak on their right side though they got away with it. Bellamy works wonders with players that aren't rated highly so there are number of Dogs backs that are like that.
They're losing Finucane and most likely Brandon Smith so without knowing what they have underneath they'll probably need a prop/second rower that can play lock. A player like RFM or Doorey maybe (we also have too many second rowers, they also aren't going to accept a Stimson or Waddell). They still have some pretty OP forwards (NAS, Kamikamica) on the bench as is tho.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're losing Finucane and most likely Brandon Smith so without knowing what they have underneath they'll probably need a prop/second rower that can play lock. A player like RFM or Doorey maybe (we also have too many second rowers, they also aren't going to accept a Stimson or Waddell). They still have some pretty OP forwards (NAS, Kamikamica) on the bench as is tho.
please tell us it Elliot that is going to Storms

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You’re onto something there great analysis

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The DT are also reporting the Storm have offered Brandon Smith 600k to stay, but you'd think we can blow that offer way out of the park.

Some quotes from Brandon Smith's manager

“I was pleasantly surprised with their offer,” said Smith’s manager Stan Martin.

“It is certainly a lot higher than I thought it would be. I was really surprised and I think they are aware of what it will take to keep him.”

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that at least six clubs have expressed an official interest in signing Smith for 2023 and beyond.

Those clubs include the Roosters, Bulldogs, Wests Tigers and NRL expansion hope the Redcliffe Dolphins.

“We have fielded a number of expressions of interest,” Martin said.

“Yes. There have been six clubs. Easily.”

While the Storm’s first-up offer shows the club is serious about keeping both Smith and fellow hooker Harry Grant in Melbourne, the Kiwi strike weapon is still expected to field official offers from rivals when the 2022 transfer window opens on November 1.

“We can’t sign any contract with anyone other than the Storm until the 1st of November,” Martin said.

“We can discuss options but we can’t sign. He has another year to go on the contract. I will give them an indication of his value. As an agent I would like to think he could get a million but $800,000 may be a more realistic target.”

While the Storm have not discussed terms, Smith’s desire to play as a starting NRL hooker may force him to leave Melbourne, even though he is currently wearing the No.9 jumper with Grant coming off the bench.

“That is part of the problem,” Martin said.

“And that is the reason we put him on the market originally. We don’t know how they are going to play him at Melbourne and that is fair enough because they have Harry Grant.”

Last edited:

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there are some in here that don't think much of Hetherington but the bloke plays with passion and heart. Next year with a better pack around him he will not be so fatigued that he has those brainsnaps with lazy efforts earning the wraith of the pea schrillers. I reckon he will become one of most feared forwards in the game.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DT are also reporting the Storm have offered Brandon Smith 600k to stay, but you'd think we can blow that offer way out of the park.

Some quotes from Brandon Smith's manager

“I was pleasantly surprised with their offer,” said Smith’s manager Stan Martin.

“It is certainly a lot higher than I thought it would be. I was really surprised and I think they are aware of what it will take to keep him.”

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that at least six clubs have expressed an official interest in signing Smith for 2023 and beyond.

Those clubs include the Roosters, Bulldogs, Wests Tigers and NRL expansion hope the Redcliffe Dolphins.

“We have fielded a number of expressions of interest,” Martin said.

“Yes. There have been six clubs. Easily.”

While the Storm’s first-up offer shows the club is serious about keeping both Smith and fellow hooker Harry Grant in Melbourne, the Kiwi strike weapon is still expected to field official offers from rivals when the 2022 transfer window opens on November 1.

“We can’t sign any contract with anyone other than the Storm until the 1st of November,” Martin said.

“We can discuss options but we can’t sign. He has another year to go on the contract. I will give them an indication of his value. As an agent I would like to think he could get a million but $800,000 may be a more realistic target.”

While the Storm have not discussed terms, Smith’s desire to play as a starting NRL hooker may force him to leave Melbourne, even though he is currently wearing the No.9 jumper with Grant coming off the bench.

“That is part of the problem,” Martin said.

“And that is the reason we put him on the market originally. We don’t know how they are going to play him at Melbourne and that is fair enough because they have Harry Grant.”
LOL $600K is what you politely call a "lowball offer" which is otherwise known as a slap in the face. Tell em their deamin

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
LOL $600K is what you politely call a "lowball offer" which is otherwise known as a slap in the face. Tell em their deamin
The Storm offer is what they believe Brandon Smith is worth to them/their salary cap position (you'd also think he'd be their first retainment priority, but they're also re-signing him as a lock). The Storm has remained at the top because they rarely pay overs for players (you need to be a the top to operate like this). This is why Brandon Smith won't be at the Storm because the difference in offers (200-300k a year) + playing his preferred position is too great of a difference from a bottom team to not accept and I think that's pretty clear to see from his managers quotes here. If the Storm keep him I'd be stunned.