Reaction score
I dont think he's the same player though

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He was better than Koroisau at Manly but it's going to be hard for him to get to the same level he was at after being out of the game for 2-3 (?) years.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Geez if this guy is found to be innocent or even not guilty that stand down policy has to go & players stood down need to sue the pants off the NRL. We have an innocent until proven guilty standard in this country for a reason.

Even if he does get back to playing NRL he has been out of action for 2 years. How hard would it be to catch up?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Geez if this guy is found to be innocent or even not guilty that stand down policy has to go & players stood down need to sue the pants off the NRL. We have an innocent until proven guilty standard in this country for a reason.

Even if he does get back to playing NRL he has been out of action for 2 years. How hard would it be to catch up?
I personally think it shouldn't exist and I believe in innocent until proven guilty but players should also do a better job at not putting themselves in dumb situations like this (e.g. being somewhere they shouldn't be, stabbing someone, cheating on your wife, etc.)

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's a big FU to Manase, much rather the cheese long term, and attract more better players to the club.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the policy or not, but whether it lives or dies should not hinge on whether this guy is guilty or not.

For example, to reverse what you have said, if he is found guilty, is it a ringing endorsement od the policy and conforms it should remain in place?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I personally think it shouldn't exist and I believe in innocent until proven guilty but players should also do a better job at not putting themselves in dumb situations like this (e.g. being somewhere they shouldn't be, stabbing someone, cheating on your wife, etc.)
This is certainly an ugly position to be on from the NRL's perspective. This was all the brainchild of Greenberg and his mate Peter Beattie.

This all came about due to sponsors and female supporters being up in arms with players being hit with charges of assault (and the like) on other women. So they came up with this brilliant idea where if you are charged with something where the maximum penalty is 11 years + in gaol, then you're automatically stood down.

I am also a very big proponent of innocent until proven guilty, but I can see what the NRL are trying to achieve. It is just a sad state of affairs.

As for Fainu, if COVID did not happen, he would probably be playing now (if he was found innocent of course). I do not believe the NRL can change their position, especially after what happened to JDB, and how long that dragged out for.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the policy or not, but whether it lives or dies should not hinge on whether this guy is guilty or not.

For example, to reverse what you have said, if he is found guilty, is it a ringing endorsement od the policy and conforms it should remain in place?
Adam Johnson still played football while out on bail for sexual activity with a child, he got a 6 year sentence but was released early (suprise)...what's a little stabby stab compared to that? Lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Adam Johnson still played football while out on bail for sexual activity with a child, he got a 6 year sentence but was released early (suprise)...what's a little stabby stab compared to that? Lol
I think they have drawn the line at 11 years potential gaol sentence. Not sure how/why/where it comes from.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real question is why has it taken so long for this to come to hand. Feel sorry for the kid if true
I asked the same thing but thought it sounded suss that "new" evidence was only now coming forward.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked the same thing but thought it sounded suss that "new" evidence was only now coming forward.
I used to drink with a detective from the Fairfield LAC up at my local pub. He was involved in this case and Fainu's whole defence is that he 'couldnt have been involved because it wouldve meant jumping over a wall to get away, and he was in a sling and its not physically possible'. But he showed me on his phone the CCTV footage of him - clear as day, sling and all - going up over a wall and jumping over and running off after the stabbing. Apparently theres more incriminating footage too, so i doubt he'll be playing footy any time soon

DGAF

Waterboy
Reaction score
I used to drink with a detective from the Fairfield LAC up at my local pub. He was involved in this case and Fainu's whole defence is that he 'couldnt have been involved because it wouldve meant jumping over a wall to get away, and he was in a sling and its not physically possible'. But he showed me on his phone the CCTV footage of him - clear as day, sling and all - going up over a wall and jumping over and running off after the stabbing. Apparently theres more incriminating footage too, so i doubt he'll be playing footy any time soon
Interesting...because there are "supposedly" 2 witnesses who have come forward and said that someone else has done it.The main prosecution witness is supposedly Olakau'atus' younger brother ("Big Buck")and people have said that after the incident that he ("Big Buck")admitted to doing it and he has now recanted his position to the prosecution and that is now why the prosecution are wanting to label him(their star witness)as hostile.
I think that the reason so much is murky is Olakau'atu and the Fainus' are pretty tight.

DGAF

Waterboy
Reaction score
As in Haumole Olakau'atu current Manly player???
Yeah,the prosecutions' case is dodgy AF and is why they are calling on the NRL to reinstate him,he would probably be playing before the end of the month if it wasn't for Covid messing up the courts...

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe in some cases but being at a church function is not the wrong place in this case.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A detective on an active case showed you incriminating footage at a pub over a drink? I think this Manase has a better chance of getting off with this level of disregard for process.