Is Barrett the coach to get us a Premiership?

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys there is a few of you who want Trent Barrett to be sacked. The big question is who could come in and replace him? I would put this out there -‘Brad Fittler’, he said if he could have his time again as a full time coach he would do things so differently - hemnow knows a thing or too after coach Orgin. Before you get angry about who I think, who else is out there - not much to choose from.’We don’t want anyone too old either, like a Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy type. They are going to have to be around for a long while to fix this mess. Maybe Tim Sheens. We need experience but not someone who is looking to wind down in the future. If it was 12 months ago, I would’ve said Craig Fitzgibbon but he got snapped up by the Sharks. I think we need a coach who’s tough but fair. I think Baz is too nice a guy to put a rocket up players when it’s needed. I don’t remember many successful coaches who were really chummy with the players when the chips were down.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't say that anybody has improved under Barrett this year & in fact I would say players have gone backwards. He definitely gets to coach to about half way through next year because this new team needs to build cohesion for one & needs to show what they have including some of the guys who have been given a chance this year before they were ready & more young ones next year. I was worried about Barrett being appointed. I feared that if he failed with us that would end his career for his sake & I thought we needed an older experienced hand to coach / develop what we had. Barrett hasn't shown the development side which is a worry. He HAS attracted new, quality players though which is a major plus.

Should it not work out then experience is a must - no untried coaches next time. The thing is if we do get an experienced hand, will they work well with Gould?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Fittler is pretty clueless. Could have picked the second or third best club halves combination for itigin 3 and went with Wighton and
Moses, ffs. That origin side coaches itself, he has NFI.

Gus just needs to step in and shadow coach the team, tbh.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
probably not, but won't know until he has a FG side to pick from

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Either the players are not following the script or Barrett's influence is lacking.
The 22 roster will nearly be able to coach itself.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd say yes... maybe.

I think the way we started this year and the progress displays he has something. No doubt we have moved away from Desball and starting to really flow at times though we still look like absolute garbage in others. Personally I would put that down to fatigue and a shit spine, Burton is the major factor next yr and will show what and who Baz is.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fittler is still shit. Lost the series last year by not picking Papenhauzen and game 3 this year because he wanted to pick his love child Mitchell Moses.

I'll judge Barrett next year when he has his own roster.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's see what happens next year.

I doubt the combination of Gould and a very experienced coach will work so if Barrett is moved on it's likely to be an up and coming coach that comes in (which is more risk).

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its a hard one to know , as I still don't know why he would change the starting middles yesterday.. it just looked wrong and obviously our start was poor?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't say that anybody has improved under Barrett this year & in fact I would say players have gone backwards. He definitely gets to coach to about half way through next year because this new team needs to build cohesion for one & needs to show what they have including some of the guys who have been given a chance this year before they were ready & more young ones next year. I was worried about Barrett being appointed. I feared that if he failed with us that would end his career for his sake & I thought we needed an older experienced hand to coach / develop what we had. Barrett hasn't shown the development side which is a worry. He HAS attracted new, quality players though which is a major plus.

Should it not work out then experience is a must - no untried coaches next time. The thing is if we do get an experienced hand, will they work well with Gould?
I think Averelo has improved
Thompson has improved
Jmk while still shit has improved
Shoup has debuted and been ok
Jackson has improved

your being too harsh on him

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we don't improve considerably by mid next season and Gould knows it's Barrett's fault he will replace him. With who it's hard to say. Bellamy maybe ? We seem to have bucket loads of $$$$. Gould could sit back and focus on the juniors while counting his million a year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Its a hard one to know , as I still don't know why he would change the starting middles yesterday.. it just looked wrong and obviously our start was poor?
He is making some mind boggling coaching decisions...even allowing for the poor roster, we aren't getting the best out if these guys.

They don't look like a very motivated group.

It would be virtually impossible to not improve next year surely.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No one can really answer this. He is polished with the media. Has got great support about him and players seem to talk well of him as a man manager.
From what I’m seeing two things are the questions.
1) Captan obvious are the current crop players up to it? The question is not he is a favourite. But place the players one on one against a top 4 side player do our players get selected?
2) Are Barrett support staff up to the job? All successful organisations have a face but the people under them is what makes the success or failure.

Opionion wise I feel Barrett will do a good job. But he needs to review the above two points and implement strategies to make them both ticks.
With Gould there I’m fairly confident he will make it happen. Hopefully some the juniors comming through will make it through.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he will do a better job in 2022.
As a coach you need to come in and clean the joint and sign new players. He has probably told most players to look for another club and plaining for next year. His a good coach but needs his own players, not whats available.
The biggest concern for next year is who plays alongside burton. Averillo is a centre. The only way things plan out is Maguire or Obrien get sacked and shane flannagan comes in and kyle comes in the frame. Swap for brooks or Pearce.
Either brooks or pearce will be at the dogs next year.

Reactions: ATT