Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Avo is a fullback and Baz wants him in fullback for 2022 and beyond.

Still doing a better job than Flopagan.

My opinion of the pecking order is...

1. Avo
2. Wakeham
3. Lewis
4. Daylight
5. Moonlight
6. Daylight again
7. Flopagan

This all means sweet FA because in 2022, it's going to be

1. Avo

6. Burts
7. SJ

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Avo
2. Wakeham
3. Lewis
4. Daylight
5. Moonlight
6. Daylight again
7. Flopagan
Are you suggesting former Cronulla winger Matt Daylight is in front of Flanagan in our halfback pecking order ?????

Sadly I concur

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
>"If you have to ask the question then you don’t understand the game and what a half back does."
Your statement shows your ignorance of what a HB is SUPPOSED to do. Do you know what Andrew Johns, Thurston and all the great HB have said several times? "A HB must be brave enough to put their body on the line and take on the defence knowing that they'll get hit but they'll create a gap and put something through"
I've been watching the game since the mid 70's dude so I know EXACTLY what a HB does.
Read my posts on TK at the time we signed Flanno before he even played a single game for us. Words to the affect "Flanno does nothing other than drift across the field throwing predictable inside passes to a flat footed forward going nowhere. He has no running game, doesn't create anything, passes way before the line and just puts up a bomb on the last. When Keary got injured Flanno wasn't up to it despite being surrounded by superstars. There's a good reason why the Chooks are letting him go... they have someone younger and much better coming through in Sam Walker."
How accurate was my assessment?
How did I know that? Because I watched a fair few Chooks games and pretty much every game Flanno did what I mentioned above.
How many tries has Flanno scored all year from running and breaking the line? None?
How many times did Flanno put his body on the line to commit defenders to set up a hole and put a player through it? Off the time of my head I'll say less than 2 all year.
If Flanno is as good as you're saying then he must be killing it in reserves setting up tries at will against a bunch of nevilles. Is that happening?
If you think Flanno is a genuine HB then you are the one who doesn’t understand the game and what a half back does.
Dude I Played rep level as a half back all through the juniors. I am sure I have a much better idea than you do what it takes to be a half back. Flanagan is a better half back than Averillo. Doesn’t mean his a better player. But a better half back yes. I wouldn’t exactly say Averillo is a body on the line player as you claim. Watch the bloke miss tackles or mis red defensive situations and you will see he is not a body on the line player.
Half backs actually need to crate play for others and talk on the field. Averillo is a quite as a church mouse and has 3 try assists from 13 games in the halves. Playing a half back that can run the ball only wastes a position. You can play a runner of the ball such as Averillo in any other position in the back line. Playing him at half back is just criminal.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Are you suggesting former Cronulla winger Matt Daylight is in front of Flanagan in our halfback pecking order ?????

Sadly I concur
Never heard of him or seen him play but yes, he is better lol

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

1. Avo
2. Wakeham
3. Lewis
4. Daylight
5. Moonlight
6. Daylight again
7. Flopagan
I'm surprised midnight missed out to flopagain tbh

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Dude I Played rep level as a half back all through the juniors. I am sure I have a much better idea than you do what it takes to be a half back. Flanagan is a better half back than Averillo. Doesn’t mean his a better player. But a better half back yes. I wouldn’t exactly say Averillo is a body on the line player as you claim. Watch the bloke miss tackles or mis red defensive situations and you will see he is not a body on the line player.
Half backs actually need to crate play for others and talk on the field. Averillo is a quite as a church mouse and has 3 try assists from 13 games in the halves. Playing a half back that can run the ball only wastes a position. You can play a runner of the ball such as Averillo in any other position in the back line. Playing him at half back is just criminal.
While I agree he isn't a halfback, you can't compare them to eachother. Avo is a FB playing HB, Flopagan is a pretending to be a HB, who can't even compete in the reserves.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You want halfbacks to be ball runners in the current game.

How good was Averillo's 96 in fantasy?
10,000 kick metres

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
<"Half backs actually need to crate play for others"
How often does Flanno do that? Once every solar eclipse?
<"Dude I Played rep level as a half back all through the juniors. I am sure I have a much better idea than you do what it takes to be a half back."
If you were as good as HB as you claim then you would have played in the NRL and we would all know who you are.
<"Playing a half back that can run the ball only wastes a position."
That shows your lack of understanding of HB. What did our greatest ever player do? He was a running HB called Steve Mortimer who scored countless brilliant solo tries or broke the line and set up tries for others.

A real HB must have vision, kicking, passing AND a running game.
Do you know why? Because a HB who doesn't run the ball telegraphs to the opposition what is coming next.
If a HB has acceleration he can score tries from nothing in addition to setting up tries for others, for eg Steve Mortimer, SJ at his peak.
If a HB lacks acceleration he'll instead run to the line to commit defenders, take the hit and put a player through a hole -eg Johns, Thurston.
Why is Avo playing HB despite his flaws? It's because the more experienced Flanno failed miserably as HB.
To finish off you sound like someone who thinks that a HB is a "game manager" who leads the team around the park by passing the ball 5 times and kick on the last on every set.
I don't call that type of "HB" a "game manager", I call him "dead weight".