NRL considering changing kick-off rules in an attempt to stop blowouts

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JUST A THOUGHT, I believe that TV rights are due to be negotiated soon for the next 5 years, (I could be wrong with this so please correct if my info is wrong)
Their has been talk that the networks are looking at reducing the amount they have been paying the NRL in the past, which if true would mean a general reduction to the clubs salary cap.
So its possible that the NRL in a desperate attempt to make the game more popular (therefore maintain the funding) have resorted to these drastic rule changes.
Not to sure what's happening with the ratings since the start of 2021, but the hearsay regarding ratings is not good.
Im sure the game now appeals to some groups like kids (and girls i know that go yo games with us prefer it with more tries and less grind).. much like t20 cricket.. but most guys and older men i know that have followed the game their whole life arent a fan of how it is now.. so it depends who the game wants to please..

Its a dud product imo.. gone way too far favouring attack over defence..

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome back Super League which ironically ran in competition to the NRL back in the late nineties.Points for originality Peter... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I think it was SL against the ARL, the NRL was the concoction when the 2 parties got together to form one comp. and IMHO it turned out to be just that a concoction.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
They tried this in super league but found it made the blow outs worse because the team who were just scored against were then pinned down their own end often giving the ball back in a favourable position to the dominant team

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After Ewan McGrady left them to come to us, his old team, The Moree Boomerangs once led a game by close to 50 nil at half time and LOST. Read it in Rugby League Week.
Did they swap jerseys at half time?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it was SL against the ARL, the NRL was the concoction when the 2 parties got together to form one comp. and IMHO it turned out to be just that a concoction.
Yep.....

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hows this new bullshit rule work when a team is close to chasing down a win with 5/10 to go?

Didn't think about that, didn't you? Fkn fat horse fucker.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
V'landys for some bizarre reason wants the game to become Rugby. Unlimited tackles, two point field goals, sin bins for everything, short kick offs every time.. Soon we'll see line-outs and five point tries.
We could probably add a couple of flankers too for the scrums.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ironically the main thing they can do to speed up the game, still remains: scrums.

I'd actually be interested to see how many rule changes the gmae has had, graphed out per year and per whoes running the game.

Ironically this was brought in (as a rule change) because teams would drill it over the dead ball line, and keep a team pinned in their own 20/30m line for the following set.

Just make it if you kick it over the dead ball line it's a restart from the 30m line. That also encourages teams to potentially go for a cheeky 40/20 early in a set to get out of trouble.

Pat Richards still remains the kick off king. He used to mix it up heaps.
This is as close as you will get

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JUST A THOUGHT, I believe that TV rights are due to be negotiated soon for the next 5 years, (I could be wrong with this so please correct if my info is wrong)
Their has been talk that the networks are looking at reducing the amount they have been paying the NRL in the past, which if true would mean a general reduction to the clubs salary cap.
So its possible that the NRL in a desperate attempt to make the game more popular (therefore maintain the funding) have resorted to these drastic rule changes.
Not to sure what's happening with the ratings since the start of 2021, but the hearsay regarding ratings is not good.
They re-negotiated last year due to COVID - now 2027

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
After Ewan McGrady left them to come to us, his old team, The Moree Boomerangs once led a game by close to 50 nil at half time and LOST. Read it in Rugby League Week.
Wasn't this game was it (but this was a few years earlier)?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think NRL still rates really well and rated well before any of the new rules. And with all the streaming now product that gives TV companies high ratings should still earn big dollars when the broadcast rights come up.

Personally I find with Rugby League now I get so much more frustrated with the refereeing and not just Canterbury games. But like most of you I still watch.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hows this new bullshit rule work when a team is close to chasing down a win with 5/10 to go?

Didn't think about that, didn't you? Fkn fat horse fucker.
In the words of Rodney Rude -

When he comes home for supper
His wife says ‘You’re a horse fucker!’
‘I’ve been to see a lawyer just today’
‘And I want a divorce’
Why?
‘Because you fucked that horse’