Official Dallin Watene-Zelezniak signs with New Zealand Warriors

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak signs with New Zealand Warriors | Sport Confidential
Michael Carayannis

The NRL transfer market continues apace with the New Zealand Warriors finding an immediate replacement for Ken Maumalo.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has played his last game for the Bulldogs after agreeing to a long-term deal with the New Zealand Warriors.
It is understood the former Kiwi Test skipper will join the Warriors for the next three-and-a-half years.

He will be a direct replacement for Ken Maumalo, who joined the Tigers this week.
Watene-Zelezniak had 18 months remaining on his Canterbury deal, with the final season worth about $800,000.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Club hasn’t announced? Wonder if done and just leaked?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you know how I feel about him... But anyways goodluck DWZ, hopefully now you finally realise you are a winger and play some of your best footy again... and remember if you think you should use a captain's challenge think better of it, unless your playing the dogs of course then go ahead lol.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wish him the best of luck at the Warriors. Always gave 100% and I appreciate his efforts for the club. Can’t blame him for taking the alleged $800K+, but the club screwed up royally offering that much for a winger. Anyway, hopefully we’ve learnt a heap of lessons the past few years and any money saved is better spent going forward.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dogs likely paying half as always and screwing our cap again
I think if it’s confirmed we got out of a shocking contract past admin gave.

Even if we are copping half (I have hope we aren’t after seeing the Warriors want and the obvious delay and extension, especially if Warriors are giving 3.5 years as this said) they clearly want him.

Like hooper said we have cap space now for burton. We didn’t get him released. We can use that to clear dwz off our books next year entirely meaning essentially we paid his half from Burton’s cap now and have the space to utilise for it next year.

Suffering now but we already have with burton not coming and it’s planning ahead and avoiding a bad contract next year.

That could literally cover an elite addition without touching the space available as Dwz was on the books!

Smart play.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd say this increases our chances of re-signing Meaney too, even if he isn't fullback next year there's more of a chance now with DWZ leaving. I can't see him having a better shot at another club.