Matt Burton consolidated thread

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We got a top bloke as well as top player.

Seems like a good kid and it would be some sweet fucking karma if they lost their star back-up half to the blues squad this year, they may be flying high at the moment but all they've really achieved so far is a mention in the "best team to never win a comp" conversations, pressure will be building on them like they've never experienced before.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Seems like a good kid and it would be some sweet fucking karma if they lost their star back-up half to the blues squad this year, they may be flying high at the moment but all they've really achieved so far is a mention in the "best team to never win a comp" conversations, pressure will be building on them like they've never experienced before.
Yes that would be fun lol.

I hope so bc it helps Matt.
If he plays SOO, we will have to upgrade him probs?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope the Panthers do win the premiership this year not because i like them just so Burton can tick that off his bucket list so he will have no regrets and concentrate on winning one for the Bulldogs.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to give this Champ a 10 year contract. We would be mad not to, If we don’t other clubs will.
This won't happen if Barrett isn't re-signed hence why Burton only signed for two years. Both are signed til 2023. I think Barrett will be re-signed no matter what our situation is this time next year which hopefully see's us extend Burton's contract otherwise he can negotiate from Novemer 2022

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one way he ll sign a 10 year deal is success, we start winning and he ll love it here. In order to do that, our club need to make more quality signings, ie a 9 and 2 top class forwards

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to watch the round 3 Panthers vs Knights game from last year. Burton is a freakish talent, but unless you guys fix your pack up to at least a serviceable standard you are going to be very disappointed. It could take him a few years to become dominant as an NRL level half. Look at Cleary, he has always shown promise, but it's really only since he racked up 80 or so first grade games that he has reached god tier. Cleary also has the luxury of a pretty formidable team around him, something Matt wont have at Belmore next year. I'd hate to see his career fucked up by the weight of expectation. Hopefully he is given the time and tools to reach his capabilities.
And you only have to see how Cleary went when Katao was hooker to know that we are only as good as the hooker we have servicing the halves.

I really just want to hear we have signed the Cheese, Smoothy or Hogson next. From there everything gets better.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the club is not pushing for a top 4 spot within the 2 years he's signed for, he will be back at Penrith by 2024.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he plays Origin his $$ will rise and we may have to extend for more $$ earlier

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Another article put out by Burto's agent Riolo confirming that he is def coming and fulfilling his 2 year contract.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Knew it months ago lol.
Must have been some pressure agaaain from the media and he is just reiterating for nervous Dogs fans and probably to tell media "back off" ;)

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Must have been some pressure agaaain from the media and he is just reiterating for nervous Dogs fans and probably to tell media "back off" ;)
Stuff em. We will get back there soon. He will be an asset to the team.