Flanagan is our immediate problem.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not giving up hope that he can turn it around. But hope and expectation are different things. Hopes are high while expectation is low.

I don't know if he's a confidence player and Barrett hasn't shafted him because his abilities look good on the training runs or if Barrett is just poor at judging his talent.

At the end of the day he's just one of the problems in the team right now. I'd love to see at least one of our halves showing that they need to be there next year very soon. It won't be ideal for Burton to walk into a side where the defense knows to target him.
I just think it's very concerning when he has all this opportunity and continually goes into his shell and defers to Averillo who is the less senior half... You need your halves to step up, play with confidence and show leadership. Flanagan does none of that.

Not to mention how bad his lack of vision is and how pre meditated everything he does is. I hate halves who don't play or see what's in front of them and Flanagan has such tunnel vision right now it's maddening.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was actually in support of Flannagan but this guy has literally done nothing different at all since Rnd1. He is a dud buy
I also thought it would be great to have an actual First Grade halfback for a change when Flanagan was signed... but I think we have been duped.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was actually in support of Flannagan but this guy has literally done nothing different at all since Rnd1. He is a dud buy
Our go forward is bad ,our hooker is a 2nd grader but everybody wants to put shit on the half who has a inexperienced 6 beside him, get him behind some go forward,we desperately need to sign a mid season forward signing who will for the future but help us now

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Our go forward is bad ,our hooker is a 2nd grader but everybody wants to put shit on the half who has a inexperienced 6 beside him, get him behind some go forward,we desperately need to sign a mid season forward signing who will for the future but help us now
He had that at Roosters and Robinson got rid of him because he wasn't FG material.

He had all the forwards and the best backs in the world at Roosters and he was shit there too.

Sam walker is 18 yrs old. Not 20 something like Flanno. Walker has done more in 5 games at Roosters than Flanno has done his whole life.

We got the REJECT!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He had that at Roosters and Robinson got rid of him because he wasn't FG material.

He had all the forwards and the best backs in the world at Roosters and he was shit there too.

Sam walker is 18 yrs old. Not 20 something like Flanno. Walker has done more in 5 games at Roosters than Flanno has done his whole life.

We got the REJECT!!
The real problem is why didn’t barrett see this?
Nasheed did,
Am I a better coach than barrett?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

We got the REJECT!!
It's crazy that people keep blaming the pack or poor service for Flanagan putting shitty kicks in, never getting repeat sets, throwing intercepts and never, ever taking the line on or engaging defenders with the ball.

Not to mention going into hiding for large parts of games despite the fact that he's played 50 plus FG games and is the senior half but he makes Averillo who's barely played 10 games and isn't a natural half do everything.

Some people just don't want to accept Flanagan is really, really average and they will make every excuse possible for him while ignoring the bleeding obvious.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cmon you kidding? If Thurston was half back we’ll be in a better position. He is the most influential half back in history along side Johns. He’ll be directing the pack. You’re talking about a future immortal here.
Direct the pack all you want Thurston ain’t helping them make more metres ......
Thurston ain’t turning Kotoa into a crisp fast hooker with good ruck defence

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His learning and will get better. Look at Luke brooks, been more then 5 years and still shit. Nathan Clearly had a bad couple of years, he has a great team around him. Flanno needs a complete team around him especially forwards. We couldn’t crack the 20m mark against parramatta. Barrett knows what his doing, you can’t dump flanno, you need to help him grow.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's the halfback and looks like one of the reserve graders, so yes.
No you're wrong. It's everyone else's fault that he can never get a repeat set, continually throws inside balls in the attacking 20 instead of taking the line on or engaging defenders and couldn't create a try to save his life.

Averillo looks better and better each game playing in the same circumstances yet everyone wants to make excuses for Flanagan. If he played for another team, the same people defending him would be talking about how shit he is.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No you're wrong. It's everyone else's fault that he can never get a repeat set, continually throws inside balls in the attacking 20 instead of taking the line on or engaging defenders and couldn't create a try to save his life.

Averillo looks better and better each game playing in the same circumstances yet everyone wants to make excuses for Flanagan. If he played for another team, the same people defending him would be talking about how shit he is.
Does Averillo look better though, apart from scoring that try what else did he do all game, apart from missing countless tackles as per usual, I think they’re both a problem, along with a lot of others

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Yea, blame the halfback for lack of go forward, no threat from dummy half and lack of line breakers around him. Averillo had 0 run mtrs until his try than everyone is comparing him to Lockyer. Fuck sake this team is rubbish and playing like rubbish. Drop flanno and replace him with Lewis whom the kennelers rated worst 7 ever. Get used to losing until we get 2 props and a hooker.
Barrett has to Simply the game plan we are not Penrith and we don't ha r the players to take advantage of the new rules.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Does Averillo look better though, apart from scoring that try what else did he do all game, apart from missing countless tackles as per usual, I think they’re both a problem, along with a lot of others
He missed 2 tackles, if two is countless then lol..

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can’t believe how many times we get caught in the last running the ball when there is nothing on. His kicking game is so bad he set the tone of the game with the charge down by not getting deep enough and he takes ages to put the kick in. The passing along the line is like watch an u10’s training drill - wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but he seems to be getting worse, he also spends too much time in D due to our shit pack.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Averillo did nothing in the first half either. He didn't run it once which was frustrating, especially when running the ball is his main strength.. But his short and long kicks are much more effective than Flanagan and in the second half he was much more involved.

Flanagan just goes through the motions, makes his mind up of what he'll do without ever reading the defence and the execution of his kicks and passes are diabolical.

I guess it's all relative.. I had zero expectations of Averillo as a half and he's playing better as a half than I thought he would. I had expectations that Flanagan would at least be able to steer the team around and help us be functional in attack considering this is his third club and he's played over 50 games but he can't even do the basics right and is playing with no confidence or intent. So he deserves more blame when he is the senior half and he's the one playing like the rookie.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree, in a lot of areas but he’s still so young, but I would like to see him with a 9 that can take control, kick and give him space, some forwards that will go forward and create time and space and offload, a fullback that draws players and creates space and attacks the line. But he needs to learn now how to take pressure off our forwards, kick over the sideline to give your forwards a break, grubber to let line drop outs, he’s definitely not creating pressure or relieving or forwards from it.....odd thing is I think he thinks he is..
But in reality, how can he look after the forwards if the forwards aren't looking after him. I know he is young and inexperienced but gees they are giving him no room to even learn his trade. As has been said in here already....even Thurston would struggle behind thid rabble, they are offering no protection or no go forward. A successful half needs space to work with and he is receiving absolutely none.