News Bulldogs-bound Penrith playmaker Matt Burton feels weight off his shoulders after contract saga added ‘pressure' (via Daily Telegraph)

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
*NEWS* Bulldogs-bound Penrith playmaker Matt Burton feels weight off his shoulders after contract saga added ‘pressure' (via Daily Telegraph) A relieved Matt Burton was clear when asked could he change his mind to knock back Canterbury and remain at the Panthers next season. Bulldogs-bound Penrith playmaker Matt Burton says he won’t backflip on his Canterbury deal, and he feels relief that his immediate future is sorted as the Panthers chase seven straight wins against Newcastle on Thursday. The Bulldogs had pushed for Burton to join the club this season before his deal officially starts in 2022, but the Panthers denied the request. Since then, the St John’s Dubbo junior has excelled for Penrith playing in the centres with three tries in four games. Burton admits the fanfare around his future created extra pressure, especially when he personally pushed for a release, but he now feels free that he knows he will be staying at the Panthers for the rest of the season. “Yeah, there was a little bit there for the early release, but it is good now to get it settled,” Burton said. “There was obviously a bit of pressure there with people not knowing what was going on, but it is good to finally sort it out and it is good to be here. “It is a relief to have it off my shoulders, and now I can just play some good footy.” As for any chance that Burton could change his mind to knock back Canterbury and remain at the Panthers next season, the playmaker was clear: No, I don’t think so.” Penrith teammate and fellow Dubbo junior Isaah Yeo has been impressed with Burton’s ability to put his future aside to focus on helping Penrith win. He revealed Panthers coach Ivan Cleary had noticed the playmaker struggling with all the contract talk, so he approached him to ease the tension. “Ivan might have picked up on a little bit when it was all circulating and thought he (Matt) may have been a touch off for a day or two,” Yeo said. “I think he spoke to him, but ever since then he has been tremendous for us. “And before he was among the top 17, he was the one leading around the NSW Cup boys and training the house down.” Yeo couldn’t be happier to see Burton thriving on the NRL stage, even playing out of position in the centres. “He has been outstanding for us,” he said. “He is our depth in the halves, but he is just a natural footballer, and he fits in well anywhere. “On the weekend they (Brisbane) really pinned us into a corner, and he had to make some really tough carries, and I thought he did that wonderfully. “I’m sure he would much prefer to be in the halves and not making those carries, but he has been great for us.”

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
*NEWS* Bulldogs-bound Penrith playmaker Matt Burton feels weight off his shoulders after contract saga added ‘pressure' (via Daily Telegraph) A relieved Matt Burton was clear when asked could he change his mind to knock back Canterbury and remain at the Panthers next season. Bulldogs-bound Penrith playmaker Matt Burton says he won’t backflip on his Canterbury deal, and he feels relief that his immediate future is sorted as the Panthers chase seven straight wins against Newcastle on Thursday. The Bulldogs had pushed for Burton to join the club this season before his deal officially starts in 2022, but the Panthers denied the request. Since then, the St John’s Dubbo junior has excelled for Penrith playing in the centres with three tries in four games. Burton admits the fanfare around his future created extra pressure, especially when he personally pushed for a release, but he now feels free that he knows he will be staying at the Panthers for the rest of the season. “Yeah, there was a little bit there for the early release, but it is good now to get it settled,” Burton said. “There was obviously a bit of pressure there with people not knowing what was going on, but it is good to finally sort it out and it is good to be here. “It is a relief to have it off my shoulders, and now I can just play some good footy.” As for any chance that Burton could change his mind to knock back Canterbury and remain at the Panthers next season, the playmaker was clear: No, I don’t think so.” Penrith teammate and fellow Dubbo junior Isaah Yeo has been impressed with Burton’s ability to put his future aside to focus on helping Penrith win. He revealed Panthers coach Ivan Cleary had noticed the playmaker struggling with all the contract talk, so he approached him to ease the tension. “Ivan might have picked up on a little bit when it was all circulating and thought he (Matt) may have been a touch off for a day or two,” Yeo said. “I think he spoke to him, but ever since then he has been tremendous for us. “And before he was among the top 17, he was the one leading around the NSW Cup boys and training the house down.” Yeo couldn’t be happier to see Burton thriving on the NRL stage, even playing out of position in the centres. “He has been outstanding for us,” he said. “He is our depth in the halves, but he is just a natural footballer, and he fits in well anywhere. “On the weekend they (Brisbane) really pinned us into a corner, and he had to make some really tough carries, and I thought he did that wonderfully. “I’m sure he would much prefer to be in the halves and not making those carries, but he has been great for us.”
Good on Ya Jackson, it’s about time we see a positive post keep it up

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can honestly say he (burton) alone with jac will bring a lot of energy and belief and confidence to our team next year. Especially with all the dead wood and loser mentality of the players that’s on there way out in Napa hoppa ect ect. Glade to have him come out and say hes committed to us from next season and that he won’t be backflipping on us.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing i find weird is the "No, I don't think so"

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he doesn’t improve significantly it will be Avo and Burton as our halves next year.

I still reckon Burton is better suited to 5/8th though. He doesn’t seem like an organiser and he has a great running game which would be nullified a bit at halfback.
Yes, that’s true but at least we have options in the halves. If Flanagan is still shit next year, Burton will handle no.7 with ease.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If he doesn’t improve significantly it will be Avo and Burton as our halves next year.

I still reckon Burton is better suited to 5/8th though. He doesn’t seem like an organiser and he has a great running game which would be nullified a bit at halfback.
Cleary seems to do okay with his running game at halfback.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I will feel a lot more comfortable about this when I see him run out for us next year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton has a better running game than Cleary by a mile. He is doing it easy at centre.

No way Cleary could do that
I don't see your point? Our halfback plays on the ball and has plenty of opportunities to run, just like Cleary at Penrith. If Flanagan is going to continue being a bum then I'd happily slot Burton in at halfback over him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't see your point? Our halfback plays on the ball and has plenty of opportunities to run, just like Cleary at Penrith. If Flanagan is going to continue being a bum then I'd happily slot Burton in at halfback over him.
I think you take away from Burton's strengths with having him have to worry about the responsibilities a halfback has. I think he's going to play his best footy just focusing on himself individually and chipping in when he sees an opportunity. That doesn't mean he won't crossover and do a bit both just not sure it's the best thing to do to have him being the main guy to worry about it. Barrett will want someone to implement a gameplan like Cleary does at the Panthers.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point is that I think Burton is better suited to 5/8th than halfback but as I said if Flanno doesn’t improve then Avo/Burton may be preferred over Burton/Flanno.

So I agree that he could slot in over Flanno