Dufty and Pappy off contract end of 2021

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ve read several articles stating Pap is signed till end of 2022, and waiting for Bellamy decision before he considers options for a contract extension with Storm or somewhere else for 2023 and beyond. NRL.com article 22/03/21 talks about Storm approaching him for an extension beyond his current contract ending 2022, and he’s manager stated in the article he’ll wait to see what Bellamy does before committing to anything.

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We’re paying decent money to Allen, JAC and Cotric already. The unfortunate thing is it isn’t super coach, you just can’t keep signing players and moving others to NSW cup.

You can have all the best backs in the world but if you have players like Napa going nowhere and Hetherington giving away penalties left right and centre it’s useless.

We need good forwards and quick + a number 9 before anything else.

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we need a fullback come round 1 2023

There is

Joesph Sualii we could stick this up to the chooks if they sign walker on big money, teddy there at fb, we could snatch him easy

Kayln Ponga , Ryan Papenhuyzen
Roger Tuivasa Sheck depends on his union games

Almost every ***** available

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They just said pappy is off contract this year.. you don't even look in the direction of dufty if pappy is off contract.. him and b. Smith as a package deal..
Pappy is a 3-in-1 deal, remarkable fullback, can create and is the best support runner in the game.. turns line breaks into tries, can also kick goals if we were short of a gk.

He is a guy I would shell out 1.3-1.4m for, he’s a bulldogs fan at heart having cheered them on as a kid so there is some leverage there...It would take an almighty effort to get him from the Storm.

We wouldn’t be able to do a Pap-Cheese deal, near 2m for that, if we want cheese, Dufty is the fullback that we could probably make a play for.

Pap-Havili/Pap-Starling/Pap-B Brailey would be a good spine combo deal

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would prefer to move Averillo to fullback now . Save 800k on buying a fullback and invest i a front row. We need 2 props and a top line hooker. Also Angus Creighton would be a target .
Tend to agree. We should see how he goes there as it’s obvious he won’t play 5/8 when Burton arrives. We should also be trying the likes of Wakeham and Deitz at Hooker to see if we can jag a bargain there.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Both would be great, if any then you would have to give pappy a blank cheque , or one with lots of zeros and let him add the numbers in front .. within reason , but would be worth every penny .. !!!

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw 1.5 at pappy we will make it up with paying others less to come to the club

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We’re paying decent money to Allen, JAC and Cotric already. The unfortunate thing is it isn’t super coach, you just can’t keep signing players and moving others to NSW cup.

You can have all the best backs in the world but if you have players like Napa going nowhere and Hetherington giving away penalties left right and centre it’s useless.

We need good forwards and quick + a number 9 before anything else.
Def agreeing with you but we need to get players who will make a difference...whenever they come up off contract.

Thats our huge dilemna we are in right now.

If forwards or a 9, who will make a difference, don't come up, we need to get whoever will, even if its a back...we might have to wait another year for say a JFH type...which is the kind of forward we need.

This rebuild is a 2 year thing to get competitive Top 8 but a 3 year thing for consistent Top 4.

And an on-going roster replenishment, improve thereafter, every season.

Forwards def our priority but more average ones is not going to do much for us.

Rock and a hard place for us atm with quality new signings.

Rudolph seems the only one who would make a huge difference at this stage of whats available. If we buy more it ties up money for following years when a lot of decent front rowers do come off contract.

Its a fine balance to get right for bottom feeders like we are atm as we def shouldnt pay overs for average forwards just bc they might be marginally better than the plodders we have.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Throw 1.5 at pappy we will make it up with paying others less to come to the club
Agree, I think we underestimate that a signing like Paps would attract other players who would at least think “sh!t, these guys are serious for 2022 with Burton, JAC and Paps coming, we might actually give the comp a shake” instead of “FMD, you have to pay me X to come over and battle out for bottom half...”

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would prefer to move Averillo to fullback now . Save 800k on buying a fullback and invest i a front row. We need 2 props and a top line hooker. Also Angus Creighton would be a target .
Wouldn’t be against this, but Averillo hasn’t set the world on fire and we don’t know his ceiling as yet, Barrett is juggling between experiments and saving face, DWZ played well at 1, I doubt he’ll be moved unless he has a howler... for me, fullback is the last chance saloon for Avo. If he can’t show anything, we will have to go for a Dufty or better... Allen failed, maybe the fox is another option?

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paps is the better fullback out of him and Dufty. It does come down to price and availability. Dufty is good to go for next year i think and would do a competent job. Still will provide a dynamic link in the backline.
Way better than we've had at fullback for a long time. As for his defence perhaps we should focus more on the guys in front of him doing their job for starters.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paps looks like he is being groomed as a future captain of the storm, they won’t let him go. Dufty on the other hand has been treated poorly by the dragons with short contracts and no security, made to fight for his spot each week. He has improved out of site recently and the dogs could swoop in with a three year contract.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paps looks like he is being groomed as a future captain of the storm, they won’t let him go. Dufty on the other hand has been treated poorly by the dragons with short contracts and no security, made to fight for his spot each week. He has improved out of site recently and the dogs could swoop in with a three year contract.
He doesnt want to stay without Bellamy