News WWWWWAAAAAA! WWWWWAAAAAA! cries the NRL baby - Don't you feel sorry for the Roosters?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Trent Robinson has suggested he may have to call-up a hooker from SG Ball to start in Friday’s blockbuster clash against Melbourne to deal with the Sydney Roosters’ ‘laughable’ injury crisis.

Third-string rake Freddy Lussick suffered a suspected broken arm in the 18th minute of the Chooks’ dramatic 26-18 comeback victory over Cronulla.

Ben Marshke, who doesn’t even have a profile picture on the Roosters’ website, played the remaining 62 minutes at dummy-half but was placed on report for a crusher tackle.

Veteran Jake Friend this week announced his retirement after suffering a concussion against Manly in Round 1.

Lussick has worn the No.9 jersey since Round 2, with back-up hooker Sam Verrills still unavailable with an ACL injury suffered against the Storm in July.

If Marshke is ruled out of the Round 6 showdown against the reigning premiers by the NRL match review committee, Robinson will be down to his fifth-string No.9.

Asked at his post-match press conference if he would select lock Victor Radley at hooker to face the Storm or promote Marshke, provided he is available, Robinson replied: “I thought Ben did a really good job there, yeah, it’d be nice to get one back or I’ll be back to our third-string team there when it comes to hookers.

“We’ve got some utilities there but as far as I’ll either be going back to SG Ball or one of those teams to find a nine.

“So yep, keep going and keep finding a guy. I thought that’s what Ben’s done, he’s been in our system and stepped up but we are getting very thin in those positions, that’s for sure.”

The coach added when asked for an opinion on Marshke’s alleged crusher tackle: “I didn’t see it actually, to be honest.

“I thought it was Rads to begin with and then they mentioned Benny later, so we’ll have to just sit on that one.”

Robinson confirmed Lussick suffered a suspected broken arm and revealed Verrills is ‘probably three weeks’ away from returning.

Pressed on whether he was seriously considering selecting a player from the Roosters’ SG Ball side, Robinson replied: “We’ve got one of our guys that comes and trains with us once a week from SG Ball and then we’ve got utilities that sort of fill in there every now and then, halves that go in there that fill in.

“I know you’ve asked me about it but I’m not crying poor there, this is where guys get opportunities when other guys are injured, a bit like Ben has, so we’re just going to have a dig a little bit deeper there to find someone.”

He added of the prospect of being down to his fifth-string hooker after just five rounds of the competition: “Yeah, it’s pretty rare after five games to be fair.

“Well, it’s quite laughable to be honest but that’s the bit, if you get negative about it you’ll get a negative result but if you get positive about whoever you pick and you believe they’re ready they’ll play well, so that’s what we’ll do.”

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Boy couldn't we use a Radley in our team, reckon Topine could develop into that type of player?

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We use our top 30 and let’s remember Topine was a back rower we use as a half. Follow the rules for once. Use one you top 30 out position. If hurts it hurts

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Boy couldn't we use a Radley in our team, reckon Topine could develop into that type of player?
Topine is not a 9. He should be wearing either 11, 12 or 13.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck the chooks .!!!

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Topine is not a 9. He should be wearing either 11, 12 or 13.
While I accept that Topine is an 11,12 or 13......I still think that he is a touch on the light side (but very athletic). I do think that possibly his quickest way to get into the squad might well be to work away at the no 9 game.........needs some passing work, but he is defensively sound and I suspect could develop into a good top flight hooker. In the backrow, Elliot will not be shifted, Wadell is TB's favourite and Jackson is a club favourite (although coming to the end of his reign in my opinion). Hard to see TB dropping any of those for Topine at the moment.........his first issue is to be elevated to the top 30.......

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Radley to 9. Dispensation from the NRL to play Rugless or Volkman.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No No.
As a chooks supporter I reckon we're gonna get spanked by the Storms anyways so stuff it man. As much as I like the kid Walker he's an 18 yr old kid and cant expect him to be a Keary or Cronk. With our current side we'll give it a crack but we're nowhere near the Storm.

But No exemptions. I wanna see us dig deep and wtf happens happens. Whatever I think this is a Panfers year.