NRL cop landslide weekend in rules debate

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been highlighting this point in a number of other threads. I can't ever remember so many big wins and blow outs happening week after week and it's only going to continue.The favoured teams become stronger and win bigger during the game and the non favoured teams fare worse.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That is so right Bazil. That to me makes it so much more obvious that it is corrupt. If in the old days there were that many penalties fans, coaches & commentators would be going off their head! Nowadays not a word about it. I just so hate like you that we don't know most of the time what the 6 again is for. Like has been suggested on here can't they at least make an announcement of what it is for to make them more accountable.
This from that linked article (in 2020) proves ref manipulation of 6 again/penalties....

"Funnily enough, teams that were giving away calculated penalties in order to gain a defensive advantage are still doing so, it’s just being swept under the rug of a rebrand. I, for one, am shocked that savvy coaches and smart players who are famous for gaming the system would work out how to game the system.

It is clearly preferable to give away a new set on the first or second tackle and set the defensive line than to attempt to keep up with the pace, especially as referees are not giving attacking teams the usual leg up to get out of their own half that they have come to expect. Refs seem to have caught on to this strategy in round 5, issuing 50% more six agains more evenly spread across the tackle count, than in rounds 3 and 4."

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hmm the only way to fix this is to add more rules. I would suggest:
- 4 points for a sideline conversion
- 8 tackle sets
- 10 players instead of 13 (but retain those extra 3 as subs)
- extend the field to 120m, and shorten the in goal area to 1m)
- corner posts every 10m with sponsors on them. If contact is made, they light up and shoot out fireworks.
- split the game into quarters and name each quarter after a sponsor (thinking Sportsbet 1st quarter, absolut vodka 2nd, a LGBTIQ foundation for 3rd quarter and Randwick racecourse for the run home. Bonus 10 minutes if the game is within 24 point margin. Call this the Aristocrat Gaming bonus time. Chase your losses)

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only thing needed to happen was cut out the negative influence Bellamy has had with slowing down the play the ball, wrestling etc.

All they needed to do was mandate only 2 in a tackle and refs to stop letting players struggle and fight in tackles for 5 seconds.

Asap they are "impeded" from promoting the ball, they should be called held and told to ptb.

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
I dont think blow out scores will do anything to change rules back. End of the day the better teams are winning and the shitter teams are struggling to adjust hence why they are shit.

Injuries and HIA's will do it. I am sure there are doctors out there that will do the work and if there is a direct link between the speed of the game due to the new rule and these injuries and HIA's then things will get changed back. I think the 6 again stuff is ok, but some onus needs to hang on the refs. This is V'Landys biggest test from here and how he finds the right medium. The current way the games played with the 6 against is not sustainable.. players will burn out by mid-year and the 'quality' of football you see now won't be there by the end of the year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I dont think blow out scores will do anything to change rules back. End of the day the better teams are winning and the shitter teams are struggling to adjust hence why they are shit.

Injuries and HIA's will do it. I am sure there are doctors out there that will do the work and if there is a direct link between the speed of the game due to the new rule and these injuries and HIA's then things will get changed back. I think the 6 again stuff is ok, but some onus needs to hang on the refs. This is V'Landys biggest test from here and how he finds the right medium. The current way the games played with the 6 against is not sustainable.. players will burn out by mid-year and the 'quality' of football you see now won't be there by the end of the year.
Players Association a toothless tiger if they don't point this out.

Malla

Reaction score
Players Association a toothless tiger if they don't point this out.
The only other solution if they want to keep the current speed of the game up is to reduce the rounds player.

26 rounds are far too many if they want to sustain this level and speed of play.

I feel like the game just wants athletes playing, and we are moving away from genuine footballers. I hope we figure out a way to factor both in.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only other solution if they want to keep the current speed of the game up is to reduce the rounds player.

26 rounds are far too many if they want to sustain this level and speed of play.

I feel like the game just wants athletes playing, and we are moving away from genuine footballers. I hope we figure out a way to factor both in.
Asap the tv audience drops off bc 50% of supporters teams have no hope of competing....there will be a Committee set up with token stakeholders, coaches etc and it will all be changed again.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to know what the base lines are for calling 6 again? I watch pretty closely and although some calls are obvious some don’t seem to be consistent at all and because it’s all so quick half the time you don’t even know what it’s for...?
The base lines are you get rewarded with more six agains if you are expected to win. There is less scrutiny on the stronger teams.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand what is so wrong with having low scoring, tight games? People that know the game understand it is a war of attrition.

When we have to change the rules to appease suited up directors with pony tails and earnings who have no idea about the game then the game itself is in trouble.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't understand what is so wrong with having low scoring, tight games? People that know the game understand it is a war of attrition.

When we have to change the rules to appease suited up directors with pony tails and earnings who have no idea about the game then the game itself is in trouble.
I go further...the game should be longer and more of a spectacle... not touch footy with hardly any stoppages or else poor teams crucified on the field. It's all over in hour and half.

It would be more of an event if we had 4 quarters of 20 mins each. If we had time to set up plays like NFL from scrums or eliminated them altogether and had penalty set re-starts. There's virtually no penalty goals any more. The game now is just possession and not much else.

Make it an afternoon extravaganza :grinning: car boot bbqs etc like USA.

There's so many ways the whole experience and game could be improved yet they do this 6 again/cheating ref cover up to it :(

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go further...the game should be longer and more of a spectacle... not touch footy with hardly any stoppages or else poor teams crucified on the field. It's all over in hour and half.

It would be more of an event if we had 4 quarters of 20 mins each. If we had time to set up plays like NFL from scrums or eliminated them altogether and had penalty set re-starts. There's virtually no penalty goals any more. The game now is just possession and not much else.

There's so many ways the whole experience and game could be improved yet they do this 6 again/cheating ref cover up to it :(

Wendog I'll raise your further with another of my further....there was on average 8.5 tries scored over the weekend. That's 10 mins 20 seconds lost per game when kicking goals due to the clock winding down for 1 min 20 seconds after the try is awarded before the time is stopped. Now if they wanted more ball in play they could easily save that 10 mins 20 seconds by stopping the clock immediately once the try is awarded and recommence once the kick off is taken. More minutes also means broadcasters fit in more adverts.

Atm and yes, it has always been this way in some perspective but technically we are only watching a 70 minute game. After all, the concept of the new rules was to keep the ball in play for longer to make it more entertaining for viewers. I think here is the logical answer to more footy played and not the 6 again rule.

What do I know I'm just a mug fan lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Has the English Super League adopted these new rules?
Yes and it's utilised far better than NRL. My view from watching a few games is;
1. 6 agains aren't blown as much
2. When they are given the ref is basically screaming out the infringement so viewers understand why it was given

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ahhh it’s not that great of a watch honestly .... if six agains are equivalent to a penalty then would prefer reg penalty kick for touch etc ... also some refs can’t count either or see forward passes or call passes forward that aren’t or just be fucksticks generally
Also can we get rid of refs calling players by name ? They aren’t your mates ... just say their number
Also if the player responds you are fucking kidding to a ref then it’s an Insta penalty .... deadset reckon half the refs would let most NRL players plough them they way they carry on

‘and I’m not talking about Casey or Matt haha

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the viewing audience numbers, that about the only thing that will convince the NRL that they have gone too far. The turn off rate at half time surely must make for scary reading, I wouldn't be surprised if they had less than half the viewers by game's end.

Go Dogs

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the viewing audience numbers, that about the only thing that will convince the NRL that they have gone too far. The turn off rate at half time surely must make for scary reading, I wouldn't be surprised if they had less than half the viewers by game's end.

Go Dogs
Channel 9 Friday night TV ratings 2020

Rd 1 - 714,000

Rd 2 - 599,000

Rd 3 - 768,000

Rd 4 - 713,000

Rd 1 - 657,000

Rd 2 - 527,000

Rd 3 - 625,000

Rd 4 - 549,000