News No quick fix for Canterbury Bulldogs amid another poor start, says Paul Gallen

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury fans should get used to life at the bottom of the NRL ladder for the foreseeable future, according to one former NRL captain.

Gallen was asked what the Bulldogs could do to turn their season around, after a winless start to the season continued against South Sydney on Good Friday.

"I don't think there's a short term solution, I think their roster this year's not going to be up to it," Gallen said on Nine's 100% Footy
"They'll finish down the bottom of the ladder."

The ex-Sharks forward said that although the arrivals of Matt Burton from Penrith and Josh Addo-Carr from Melbourne in 2022 would help, the squad needed bolstering elsewhere as well.

"I think they need couple more forwards, some big front-rowers - but I don't think there's a quick fix for the Bulldogs at all. I think it's a couple of years before they get back to where they want to be."

The Bulldogs became just the second team ever to fail to score a point over three consecutive matches, and their season won't get any easier this week when they play the Storm on Saturday.

Canterbury came into the season with some cautious optimism, with a new coach in Trent Barrett and several new signings, including Origin players Corey Allan and Nick Cotric.

But so far, things have failed to click, with their new-look attack failing to get on the same page for the most part

"When you're in a situation like this, you need to take the focus off winning, you need to put the focus on incremental improvement every time you play, in helping the player get better and helping the individual get better," Phil Gould said.

He added that Barrett needed to take the stress of winning away and instead look at individual moments in games as a source of improvement for the team.

"What happens in the game is they get 12 behind, they know they haven't got 12 points in them, they lose contact with winning and then all of a sudden it's hard to keep going for the last 60 minutes knowing you can't win the contest.

"If you want to get out of the cellar, you've got to find points. You've got to find something in your attacking armoury that can keep you competitive at different parts of the game."

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We laughed at the time but....

guess that's why we go back to gameplan...

"run hard, tackle hard".

It's all they can process.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah seriously can the mods please limit how many of these threads are made or at least consolidate them into one "Media says Dogs will never be successful again megathread"?

Gallen's opinion means so much. And he offers such wonderful insight. The peptides have rotted his brain.

If we sign a few good forwards and a starting calibre hooker then we'll be a top 8 team next year with the addition of Burton and Fox.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gould saying take the focus off winning?? Sorry, but every time you take the field at this level, it’s about winning - otherwise don’t bother. I wonder why Gould is so willing to accept mediocrity in this case??

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No interest in what Gallen says but I think Gus makes some good points.

Individuals need to show improvement. That’s one area where Pay failed. It’s the coaches job to make the players better. Obviously this hasn’t happened yet but I am confident Baz can change this.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No interest in what Gallen says but I think Gus makes some good points.

Individuals need to show improvement. That’s one area where Pay failed. It’s the coaches job to make the players better. Obviously this hasn’t happened yet but I am confident Baz can change this.
Yep sometimes it's a step at a time. I am hopeful we will be playing okay by season's end. The games right now are simply stepping stones.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are they offering solutions or anything new other than pouring fuel onto the fire though? If they were remotely constructive then maybe it would be tolerable.

When it's the same people harping on every day, then how is it anything but an excuse to attack the club and it's fans? Again, where is the criticism of Des and Manly? How many years away are they?

Why aren't Newcastle getting hammered? They have rep players everywhere and will struggle to make the 8. Even Brisbane don't even cop criticism the way they should considering they've won one out of their last 20 plus games and have rep players throughout their squad..

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are they offering solutions or anything new other than pouring fuel onto the fire though? If they were remotely constructive then maybe it would be tolerable.

When it's the same people harping on every day, then how is it anything but an excuse to attack the club and it's fans? Again, where is the criticism of Des and Manly? How many years away are they?

Why aren't Newcastle getting hammered? They have rep players everywhere and will struggle to make the 8. Even Brisbane don't even cop criticism the way they should considering they've won one out of their last 20 plus games and have rep players throughout their squad..
Cry more

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Haha. You're the one crying because we will start off 0-5 Am I wrong about those other clubs struggling with far better talent?
I'm crying because we're shit. You're crying because you think there isn't enough articles about other teams also being shit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm crying because we're shit. You're crying because you think there isn't enough articles about other teams also being shit.
We are shit. Deal with it. If they're so right with their opinions as you say then what is there to cry about? You know we'll be shit this year and hopefully we'll be much better next year. There may or may not be a new coach by then. Time will tell..

Yes, that's my point. Those clubs deserve the spotlight and blowtorch on them just as much. I know why we always get talked about. Because we get more clicks and response than anyone. Still doesn't mean I have to act like these clowns are speaking the gospel when they're not saying anything of substance and have an obvious hatred/agenda against us.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same member keeps posting these re-washed versions of the same narrative "Dog's are in more shit than speed gordon" yeh we know man, it get's pretty tiring and wtf is this DjDeep fella anyway....a legit dogs fans or a shitstirring infidel :sleeping:

I don't care that these dh's have an opinion(like some others seem too), their paid to do so my issue is do we have to post 20 of them a day on here...