News NRL 2021: Ivan Cleary tells Trent Barrett to back off Matt Burton

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould has weighed in on the ugly Matt Burton saga as Trent Barrett and Ivan Cleary exchange words over the phone. READ WHAT WAS SAID
Paul Crawley
3 min read
February 10, 2021 - 8:31PM

Trent Barrett has let it be known to Ivan Cleary in no uncertain terms that he now works for Canterbury and not Penrith as the stand-off over promising youngster Matt Burton becomes increasingly hostile.

Cleary put a call into Barrett this week after The Daily Telegraph broke the story about Burton wanting out of Penrith on Tuesday.

Cleary is said to have warned his former assistant coach Barrett and the Bulldogs to back off.

Sources have revealed that while the conversation did not get heated Barrett certainly held his ground up against his former boss, stating his case why he thinks it’s in everyone’s best interests to let Burton go now.

Barrett does not want to get into a public slanging match with Cleary and so would not comment when contacted to clarify the conversation on Wednesday.

But rest assured at the core of Barrett’s concerns is that he doesn’t want to see the soon-to-be 21-year-old Burton waste another year of his career with limited to no chance of playing NRL given he is stuck behind Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai.

Of course Burton has signed with the Bulldogs from 2022 for three seasons but wants out now because he knows he’s little chance of winning a top grade spot this season outside of Origin.

Another potential casualty in all this is young Bulldog Jake Averillo who is in danger of becoming collateral damage if Burton is released.

Averillo has basically trained the entire summer preparing to wear the No.6 jumper at the Bulldogs this season but will have to take a back seat if Burton arrives.

There is little doubt other clubs would come chasing Averillo if he becomes available which could spark another round of musical chairs.

That is why the Bulldogs are pushing to get this sorted out sooner rather than later.

And while most of the time it’s the players who wear the wrath of the fans in situations like this when deals are not being honoured, in this situation even former Penrith general manager Phil Gould has weighed in on social media.

Gould not only said it would be “detrimental” to Burton’s development but also explained that a “kind gesture now means you could re-sign him years later”.

Gould also pointed out that the Panthers had “moved players who were on contract” and that they “can’t have it both ways”.

Players the Panthers have released in recent months with time running on their contracts include Jack Hetherington, Dean Whare, Daine Laurie and Zane Tetevano, while Josh Mansour was basically told to go after the grand final even though he had time on his existing deal.

Yet for some reason the Panthers aren’t budging on Burton.

Burton was apparently told he would be playing for a centre spot this year but hasn’t trained to play there all pre-season.

As for Penrith reportedly asking for Dylan Napa as a potential trade for Burton’s release, that was never going to happen for two very significant reasons.

The Panthers apparently wanted the Dogs to carry the remainder of Napa’s $650,000-a-season deal on their cap which is just ludicrous to even suggest.

On top of that, the Bulldogs can hardly afford to let Napa go with Luke Thompson suspended for the first month of the season.

More Coverage

Cleary’s vow to retain Penrith young guns No deal: Cleary won’t cut young Panther loose ... yet
In positive news for the Panthers new co-captain Isaah Yeo has agreed to terms with the club with his deal set to be announced within 48 hours.

Panthers officials are also confident star centre Stephen Crichton and dynamic five-eighth Jarome Luai are also close to securing their futures at the club.

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Smith and Britt are available, I’d be happy for the club to carry their freight for the season if Penrith agreed to either one.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The part about averillo is a bit of a worry i hope he stays at the club i can see him not wanting to stick around i hope im wrong

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone mentioned he’s happy to play wing

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
If we lose Averillo due to playing Allen at fullback that is absolute madness. I think the signing of Allan may bite us in the ass.
yep, good player and all, but I still can’t for the life of work out why we signed Allen, unless we shafting Hoppa after this year, and he moves to Centre and Avo moves to fullback. Otherwise it’s a dumb signing.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Forget about Burton this season, put Avo in and see how things go. It’s 4 weeks away from the start of the season, as nice as it would have been for Burton to be here it might be more of a distraction at this late stage.

At the end of the day not every club bends over to player and manager requests like we do and not only recently we’ve been doing it for years.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Genuine question to people who have seen Averillo play in the lower grades. Is he really that good? Yes, I can see he's got some talent but the way people carry on about him would make you think that he's the next Barba....for all we know, he could be another Bevan French..

Last edited:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely avo to fullback Allen to wing or centre long term

Avo on bench for 2021
I watched Avos game v Souths ( the game we won last season to avoid the spoon) the other day. He did nothing all game. Its beyond me what u guys all see in him. He was nothing special in his FG appearances last year. Not saying he doesn't have potential, just that he doesn't deserve a walk up start to a FG spot.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I watched Avos game v Souths ( the game we won last season to avoid the spoon) the other day. He did nothing all game. Its beyond me what u guys all see in him. He was nothing special in his FG appearances last year. Not saying he doesn't have potential, just that he doesn't deserve a walk up start to a FG spot.
He had a torn quad muscle the whole game. Was ruled out with injury the next week .

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for Penrith reportedly asking for Dylan Napa as a potential trade for Burton’s release, that was never going to happen for two very significant reasons.

The Panthers apparently wanted the Dogs to carry the remainder of Napa’s $650,000-a-season deal on their cap which is just ludicrous to even suggest.

On top of that, the Bulldogs can hardly afford to let Napa go with Luke Thompson suspended for the first month of the season.
why even bother negotiating if you are going to make such unreasonable demands?! the Panthers will release a 6 game minimum wage player for a prop with Origin experience IF we pay the majority/all of his inflated wages for 2021? ridiculous

and this is the f*+#ing problem with Ivan Cleary... he does not negotiate in good faith

and Cleary's bad faith now reflects on the Panthers club, too

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Genuine question to people who have seen Averillo play in the lower grades. Is he really that good? Yes, I can see he's got some talent but the way people carry on about him would make you think that he's the next Barba....for all we know, he could be another Bevan French..

Afew lbs and a good put down in a corner is all it takes to get people on here excited, Kids got potential but is severely overrated and has had some really soft moments in the top grade, Also he didnt dominate the lower grades the way say a barba/jt did.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Penrith taking the piss here we lost klemmer for nothing sometimes that’s how it goes Cleary is a parasite can’t wait to see him exposed this year without barrett
It'll bite Cleary in the arse this.

Mental that they've pushed players out, but keeping a young guy on only to sit on the sidelines behind new players Cleary brought in. Such bad treatment of players will only come back to him.

We can all talk about contracts needing to be honoured, but that's not how it goes these days. And Penrith have hardly honoured their contracts this year.

My prediction is that Cleary will get badly exposed this year.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bro I reckon

He’s a talent/potential but to be honest he’s proved fk all this far so he still needs to earn his spot