News Bulldogs young gun Jake Averillo front-runner for new starting spot

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Baz won't rush Avo into the halves just yet and give Wakeham a shot as he's signed to the end of 2022.
Avo is signed to the end of 2023 so he's not going anywhere and could be a smoky as utility off the bench
And worse comes to worse and Wakeham doesn't have a breakout year we have Burton next year.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Baz won't rush Avo into the halves just yet and give Wakeham a shot as he's signed to the end of 2022.
Avo is signed to the end of 2023 so he's not going anywhere and could be a smoky as utility off the bench
And worse comes to worse and Wakeham doesn't have a breakout year we have Burton next year.
I honestly feel like Wakeham is the type of player that seems to be highly rated on forums/amongst fans who religiously watch the lower grades. But doesn't have what it takes because behind closed doors they don't have the work ethic and attitude at training to get the best out of themselves.

When players' contracts finish up shouldn't factor into who does and doesn't get selected. If Avo is impressing more at training and compliments Flanagan more then the job should be his.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all the jake averillo fans out there,and I’m one of them,at this point in time,he has shown in the few appearances that he is one to watch,but at this point in time has not really done,much on a regular basis,in first grade,my personal opinion is to play him of the bench,bring him on at the latter stages of each half,to run at the tired opposition forwards.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a huge fan of this kid, I am insanely worried about his future prospects at our club. I am worried he's gonna get "Mbyed" - reverse-pigeonholed into various positions, with nothing ever really nailed down.

If he starts at 6 this year (granted, if we don't get Burton) - then what happens in 2022? We've signed Allan, and by all accounts, he's our #1 for the next 3 years. So then does he start a 6 this year, and move to Hopas' expected vacant centre position come 2022? Wasted talent if so.

This kid is a 1 or a 6 - he needs his hands on the ball.
I agree mate. But I trust Barrett will have a transition in mind for him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wakeham has even less experience, so that wouldn't make any sense.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To all the jake averillo fans out there,and I’m one of them,at this point in time,he has shown in the few appearances that he is one to watch,but at this point in time has not really done,much on a regular basis,in first grade,my personal opinion is to play him of the bench,bring him on at the latter stages of each half,to run at the tired opposition forwards.
The one game he played his favoured position of 5/8 he looked extremely dangerous in attack. This blokes instinct will do wonders for the team we have this year and the coming years.

He isn’t a centre imo

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score
I honestly feel like Wakeham is the type of player that seems to be highly rated on forums/amongst fans who religiously watch the lower grades. But doesn't have what it takes because behind closed doors they don't have the work ethic and attitude at training to get the best out of themselves.

When players' contracts finish up shouldn't factor into who does and doesn't get selected. If Avo is impressing more at training and compliments Flanagan more then the job should be his.
Wakeham is an unbelievable talent. A bloke of his size and stature achieving all he has from the lower grades through to NRL doesn’t just lick his was through. He’s got the ability.

The problem with having this amount of talent is someone has to luck out. Lewis will be inevitably moved on as he is at the bottom of the depth chart for the halves and when Burton arrives it pushes Wakeham down even further (granting Averillo kicks on like we are hoping).

Someone like Barrett will do wonders for a player like Wakeham. Getting him to that next level to play top level footy every week. I can’t say I know what will inevitably happen with our halves but Averillo has that ability to play a few more positions than someone like Wakeham does.

Seems to me Brandon will inevitably be poached by another club and go on to be a really handy player.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
here's hoping for 2022 -

1. Averillo;
2. Addo-Carr;
3. Cotric;
4. Allan;
5. Okunbor;
6. Burton;
7. Flanagan;
Yes or if he makes a success at 5/8 this year it could go

1 Allan
2 JAC
3 Cotric
4 Burton
5 Okunbor
6 Averillo
7 Flanagan

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham is an unbelievable talent. A bloke of his size and stature achieving all he has from the lower grades through to NRL doesn’t just lick his was through. He’s got the ability.

The problem with having this amount of talent is someone has to luck out. Lewis will be inevitably moved on as he is at the bottom of the depth chart for the halves and when Burton arrives it pushes Wakeham down even further (granting Averillo kicks on like we are hoping).

Someone like Barrett will do wonders for a player like Wakeham. Getting him to that next level to play top level footy every week. I can’t say I know what will inevitably happen with our halves but Averillo has that ability to play a few more positions than someone like Wakeham does.

Seems to me Brandon will inevitably be poached by another club and go on to be a really handy player.
It’s wakehams fault, he was given a great opportunity and he was ordinary at best.

Wakeham was also played in his preferred position. He blew it for now...

Avo took his opportunity, showed more potential. He’s had about 1 and a 1/2 games in his preferred position and looked miles better than Wakeham.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It’s wakehams fault, he was given a great opportunity and he was ordinary at best.

Avo took his opportunity, showed more potential. He’s had about 1 and a 1/2 games in his preferred position and looked miles better than Wakeham.
Playing football for Dean Pay coached side headed by the clowns on the board is absolutely not a "great opportunity" lol.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Averillo is a no brainer to partner Flanagan. He compliments Flanagan the best out of what we have and he is easily the best ball runner. It also allows us to use the same structures as we would use with Burton so he can slot in next year without too much disruption.

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score

Ur kidding if u think that was a fair chance. Got thrown in without any established halves in an abysmally coached side, with a significantly below average squad in terms of ability. No established spine, no experienced playmakers, no weapons outside him except for RFM.

Watch him absolutely turn it on being mentored by an actual coach that was a half and someone that understands attack.

When he becomes a talent at another club, people will kick stones about how we should’ve kept him. But complain the entire time he’s with us.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Id play him on the wing and give him stints at fullback

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Be good to hang onto him for backup or bench spot if needed and even to challenge for spot as no garauntee should be given to flanno /burton or avo but dont see him in team moving forward.Maybe he will be offered to storm as a player in Brandon smith contract sitch.Either way we have to loose someone like him ,lewis ,bbo .

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Melbourne have shown how it's done stockpiling talent in spine positions. It will sort itself out.
Yeah but they were allowed to cheat the cap in doing so just as Slater retired

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As a huge fan of this kid, I am insanely worried about his future prospects at our club. I am worried he's gonna get "Mbyed" - reverse-pigeonholed into various positions, with nothing ever really nailed down.

If he starts at 6 this year (granted, if we don't get Burton) - then what happens in 2022? We've signed Allan, and by all accounts, he's our #1 for the next 3 years. So then does he start a 6 this year, and move to Hopas' expected vacant centre position come 2022? Wasted talent if so.

This kid is a 1 or a 6 - he needs his hands on the ball.
Allen can play anywhere from 1-5 regularly and with distinction. And if Avo proves himself well enough to play #1, he’ll moveAllen anywhere from 2-5, with distinction.

Don’t sweat on any of this, Baz will simply fit his best 17 players into the field every week. So Avo’s just got to be one of them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Allen can play anywhere from 1-5 regularly and with distinction. And if Avo proves himself well enough to play #1, he’ll moveAllen anywhere from 2-5, with distinction.

Don’t sweat on any of this, Baz will simply fit his best 17 players into the field every week. So Avo’s just got to be one of them.
Allan is a shit winger and I hope we never play him there, miles better @ fullback. Hasn't played much centre but apparently trained there this preseason with Souths and on paper looks suited to the role, could easily see him inside of JAC on the left.