News My Dogs no longer sleeping

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Josh Jackson at lock is interesting, and I'm not sure that's good interesting. The days of the workhorse, tackle everything lock have come and gone. The modern game requires your lock to be your x factor in the middle of the park: a ball player (Radley), quick and nimble (Murray), support plyer (Yeo). For all of Jackson's leadership, he doesn't have any traits that stand out. He isn't quick, he doesn't make line breaks, he doesn't make massive metres off his runs, his ball playing isn't special. I feel like having him at 13 is limiting our dynacism. Playing at lock is best for Josh Jackson but is Josh Jackson playing lock best for the Bulldogs?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Josh Jackson at lock is interesting, and I'm not sure that's good interesting. The days of the workhorse, tackle everything lock have come and gone. The modern game requires your lock to be your x factor in the middle of the park: a ball player (Radley), quick and nimble (Murray), support plyer (Yeo). For all of Jackson's leadership, he doesn't have any traits that stand out. He isn't quick, he doesn't make line breaks, he doesn't make massive metres off his runs, his ball playing isn't special. I feel like having him at 13 is limiting our dynacism. Playing at lock is best for Josh Jackson but is Josh Jackson playing lock best for the Bulldogs?
Jacksons metres and PC metres are actually a lot better when playing at lock while he's also capable of finding a quick play the ball. I don't think we need anything extra from our lock as we're likely going to be playing with 3 halves this season.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem is he is going to be in the starting side no matter what happens and if it's a choice between lock or second row I'd prefer him at lock.

I wasn't really fussed if we re-signed him the last time he came off contract but we really should have bit the bullet and moved on.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jacksons metres and PC metres are actually a lot better when playing at lock while he's also capable of finding a quick play the ball. I don't think we need anything extra from our lock as we're likely going to be playing with 3 halves this season.
He's definately more suited to lock than second row at this stage of his career, I just think it's a position that we definately need to have a look at recruiting/promoting for once we sort out our hooker. Who are the 3 halves?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who knows how it will play out but his comments do you give me confidence that Tbaz does have a plan and every move has a great deal of thinking behind it

Its quite refreshing to have a coach that does actually give you some genuine insight into what he is thinking.

No more "bringing back the madness" or "play what's in front of you"
It’s so fkn good to have a head coach that is making chess moves unlike his predecessor who was playing checkers !!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He's definately more suited to lock than second row at this stage of his career, I just think it's a position that we definately need to have a look at recruiting/promoting for once we sort out our hooker. Who are the 3 halves?
I think the mistake was re- signing Jackson on a big deal and then re-signing Elliott...really only one of them should've been retained as they're both better suited to the middle with us then using the extra $$$ to chase a dynamic edge forward.

The 3 halves are the fullback, 5/8 and halfback. From everything I'm hearing it looks like we will setup with Flanagan predominantly through the middle with a 5/8 on either side of him. Panthers setup sort of like this but we're limited somewhat with Edwards inability as a ball player. Cowboys also did it in the past with Coote/JT/Morgan.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
An articulate and intelligent coach, with a thoughtful plan. Coupled with good recruitment and I am excited for the start of the season. Everything that I've heard Trent say since he's been here, has been impressive and on point. We should see some immediate improvement, with the prospect of mid to long-term success.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
An articulate and intelligent coach, with a thoughtful plan. Coupled with good recruitment and I am excited for the start of the season. Everything that I've heard Trent say since he's been here, has been impressive and on point. We should see some immediate improvement, with the prospect of mid to long-term success.
One thing is sure we will be fit and motivated, we will be ready for the start of the season. The players will be well drilled and we will actually have a game plan in place instead of the run hard tackle hard dribble of seasons past.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping Baz doesn't use Jacko as an 80 minute workhorse at lock, but rather as someone who can stiffen the middle defence significantly for a couple of 25-30 minute stints - like in that SOO game where he played lock and won MoM despite only playing about 40 mins. Even when he plays on the edge his best runs come when he drifts infield and I'm confident he can still add something there.

It would be great as you say to have a Radley or Murray with more attacking variety, but I think Jacko will pleasantly surprise us at lock providing Baz looks for quality rather than quantity from him.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also hopefully because there’s better players around him and he’s not carrying the burden of a largely reserve grade team we had for a couple of seasons.
Jacko hasn't been the same ever since he took on the captaincy, it happened with buppa as well. The added burden of being captain changes these players and the way they normally instinctively play the game. I feel having the "C" next to their names dampens the fire they have in their bellies.....I believe Hoppa would be the logical choice for captain which would free up Jacko to play his natural game.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DT just loves Baz! Rothfield must have a massive man-crush on him!
Happy with how he has come across positive and with plans already in place. Avo at 5/8 I think is great. With Burton coming he can push out to the centre’s or be as Barba was early on a bench ‘x-factor’ who can cover positions.
Jacko at 13 isn’t a bad idea he can ball play a little he can play that tight type.
I really think the 13 role is determined by the rest of the spine. If the fullback or dummy half is not so creative with ball playing and the half is not dominant then a ball player is needed. Think Allan is pretty good with the ball and will surprise chiming in on a short side or put the back. Think also if he sniffs around the ruck taking offloads will be a big weapon for us.
I want Flanagan to just be the ‘conducter’ good to hear he has put some bulk on to help his defence and when he takes on the line to be a threat. Lewis was just too slow and didn’t have that ‘dictator’ type game.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The DT just loves Baz! Rothfield must have a massive man-crush on him!
He played for Cronulla at the end of his career, explains the boozfield love affair..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Jacko hasn't been the same ever since he took on the captaincy, it happened with buppa as well. The added burden of being captain changes these players and the way they normally instinctively play the game. I feel having the "C" next to their names dampens the fire they have in their bellies.....I believe Hoppa would be the logical choice for captain which would free up Jacko to play his natural game.
Captaincy affects every player in every sport.
Some handle it better than others.
I don’t disagree with your post but Jacko’s tenure has so far coincided with the club’s lowest point in a while adding further pressure. So I’m looking forward to watching him this year with a better squad along with improved coaching and structures before judging whether he should continue to be the skipper or not.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Geez TB speaks well!
It’s refreshing to hear him articulate the fact that he indeed does have a plan, and how the pieces we have signed fit that.
Finally looking forward to an NRL season once again!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Allen is always there in support. So we should see more tries of breaks. Got sick of seeing us make a break but no one in support. I think I seen meaney and dwz do that once. Allen is nearly there every time. Good times a head
100%.. the lack of support play the last few years was nothing short of disgusting.. it started towards the end of Haslers tenure and ended with Pay (hopefully).. for a team that struggled to score points, it was criminal how many half chances were wasted..
P.s I seen Flanno support well on a few occasions last year also..so fingers crossed that problem is eradicated .