Bulldogs close in on ambitious triple swoop as fresh Suaalii link emerges: Jimmy Brings

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who is the worst thug you've seen?
I was a touch judge one day in 1977 in the West's juniors when the game was abandoned after one side was down to 6 players and the other side 7. All 13 had been sent off. My mother who was very feisty smuggled a baseball bat into the ground and if anyone had attacked me then I am sure she would have knecapped them.

At 1st grade level Les Boyd did some horrendous things and was rightly punished. In the modern era the game is much cleaner but I reckon the record of the Burgess Brothers speak for itself.

I also think Sam Thaiday should have been called to account for regularly running in quite a distance as the third man in. Got away with it numerous times.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I grew up in Bankstown. Married a nice lady from the Shire where we now live. Played my junior football in the now defunct "West's Ashfield" juniors which was split in 2 with half going to Balmain and the other half to Canterbury. Played in West's so I could be in the same team as my cousin. Took up refereeing under encouragement from my science teacher Ian McCall who was a 1st grade touch judge for many years and he did a few Grand Finals.
Cant blame you for making the move to the shire, especially back in the day.
My ol man never played footy outside of school, but he was a massive bulldogs fan and made me one verycearly in the piece.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My ol man never played footy outside of school, but he was a massive bulldogs fan and made me one verycearly in the piece.
My father was a great bloke and taught me a lot about rugby league and cricket. Not everything I know but everything he knew. Lol. He played both at a competent level.

Late in his life when he was living in a nursing home in padstow my wife and I bought him a season ticket at ANZ for 4 season and took him there in his wheelchair. We sat in the North Western corner. Did the same thing with T20 games played by Sydney Thunder.

It was the best thing we could do for him to get him into a real world situation. After all he did for me when I was growing up he deserved my respect and whatever I could do for him. Wish he was still with us.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same thinking. Really hope Penrith wins which means it'll be harder to keep all the starts. Will have to let go of players without doubt. Burton leaving would have to be a no brainer as it'd immediately free up some space.

Personally don't think we're with any chance of getting the Melbourne boys but you never know.
Even with the Panthers losing, other teams will have seen enough to know that they want certain players. So the price inflation is inevitable. Might take a year or two for that inflation to cause a lot of exits though.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Similar story with my dad ensuring I wound up as a Bulldogs fan. I was too small for a commercially available Bulldogs top so my dad had a taylor make one for me in 1980 before I was a year old.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with the Panthers losing, other teams will have seen enough to know that they want certain players. So the price inflation is inevitable. Might take a year or two for that inflation to cause a lot of exits though.
Agree with this. They're still a gun side and will still be facing cap pressure next year to retain all their stars. Hopefully it results in us getting Burton next year.

It feels like they had a similar season to what we did in 2012 - they were the best team all season but the Storm were too good in the only game that mattered.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
They really could have used Burton this game, he would have took a few hard carries instead of passing to Kikau all the time

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
They really could have used Burton this game, he would have took a few hard carries instead of passing to Kikau all the time
I think Burton would be watching that game pissed off he wasn't a part of it despite playing well.

'what am I doing here where I can't get a game when I can go to the bulldogs and be the number 6 in the grand final next year'.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It all comes down to Burton's relationship with Barrett but.
Barrett is part of the crew that's keeping him in reverse.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to Burton's relationship with Barrett but.
Barrett is part of the crew that's keeping him in reverse.
That's all on Cleary, he is the head coach. Whether Barrett thinks or thinks not that Burton should be in the first grade side, at the end of the day it's Cleary's choice. And having the coaches son and Luai both ahead of him it makes it hard to fit him into first grade hence why it would be in his interest to come to the Bulldogs for a guaranteed first grade spot.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
That's all on Cleary, he is the head coach. Whether Barrett thinks or thinks not that Burton should be in the first grade side, at the end of the day it's Cleary's choice. And having the coaches son and Luai both ahead of him it makes it hard to fit him into first grade hence why it would be in his interest to come to the Bulldogs for a guaranteed first grade spot.
I'm starting to think the dogs should just put up a bounty for the panthers halves.
There's a 2 million dollar 4 year contract here for you.
First one to jump takes it. First in first serve.
Put the onus back on those 4 to make a move. Leui or Burton or May may jump.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Burton doesn't get released ahead of next season circumstance might make him staying on into a more appealing thing. If injury gave him a decent amount of time to establish himself he may overtake luai in the pecking order.

It's far from a certain thing that he'll even choose our club if he opts to leave next year or when his contract expires regardless of whether he gets much NRL time. Way too many on this forum are counting their chickens before they're hatched.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If Burton doesn't get released ahead of next season circumstance might make him staying on into a more appealing thing. If injury gave him a decent amount of time to establish himself he may overtake luai in the pecking order.

It's far from a certain thing that he'll even choose our club if he opts to leave next year or when his contract expires regardless of whether he gets much NRL time. Way too many on this forum are counting their chickens before they're hatched.
Forgetting that these clubs are up in this biatch for a quality half;
Saints
Roosters
Tigers
Warriors
Broncos
Cowboys
Maybe even the GC

you feel where I'm at?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I will take Naden at the Bulldogs next year as well. No surprise the Panthers fortunes changed as soon as he got on the field.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I will take Naden at the Bulldogs next year as well. No surprise the Panthers fortunes changed as soon as he got on the field.
He should've come on as soon as they were down 16-0. Ivan Cleary fucked up big-time and was too ignorant to admit it.

Was a shit decision right from the get-go. I've never seen a situation where a player plays almost every game, scored 12 tries, wins every game and then gets dropped a week before the GF.