Should we offer Tedesco 1.25M ?

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to agree at this stage. Averillo has loads of potential. But still saw him cop some big hits and go into his shell in attack and defence. He's got some toughening up to do and needs to develop in confidence before he's going to be at his best with any regularity. He was rushed in this year due to the fact that the coaches were trying to hold their jobs. If we had a better centre this year he'd have been given more time to develop in the reserves where he could face adults outside of the pressure cooker of the NRL.

He might get there physically. But I put him in the same boat as someone like Bevan French. Both fairly talented. But the transition into the NRL was fairly difficult. Our fans are a hard bunch to please. He'll get a load of hype for a while, but the knives will come out if he doesn't achieve great things in a hurry. This desire to move him to either 5/8 or fullback reflects the fact that people already think he's not quite up to standard as a centre where his most basic skillset (elusive, pace, passing game) are pretty beneficial. But supposedly throwing him into a more physically demanding halves role or into fullback where he can be easily isolated is meant to help.his game.

I'm more inclined to think he needs a season in reserves to toughen up. Meaney wasn't bad at fullback. And I think he's actually managed to fill out enough that he doesn't get dominated like he did when first selected.
Compare french 86kg to 18 year old Averillo 93kg
Hahah and how did he go in round 19 ? Did we win with him injured?

Averillo will be better than Tedesco with experience what a gun coming through

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His too expensive for someone approaching 30. For that sort of money we want to be signing a
superstar half or Hooker in their early 20’s .

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Compare french 86kg to 18 year old Averillo 93kg
Hahah and how did he go in round 19 ? Did we win with him injured?

Averillo will be better than Tedesco with experience what a gun coming through
I'm not saying that Averillo won't be good. He's an excellent prospect. But he's had to forego the hardening up period that many players get in reserves facing fully developed adults. I have faith he'll become a big part of our future. But I see the possibility that dropping him in the deep end too soon might result in serious injuries and long lay offs that could hinder his progress. Took Tedesco a good three years of NRL before regular injuries stopped occuring. If half a season of reserves gave Averillo the chance to develop a little bit of toughness and confidence I don't think it would be a terrible idea to give him the time.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we're not going to have a strike backrower like Fafita, Bateman or even CHN. At best we'll have 2 inexperienced young halves - one having played one season in the NRL, the other only having played a handful of games. We're going to have 2 averages wingers out of Reimis, Okunbor, DWZ and Meaney. We're going to have and a winger in Cotric playing in the unfamiliar position of centre partnered with we don't know who yet but hopefully not Hopa after 2021.

Hopefully we get a decent hooker out of B.Smith, Grant or at the very least Daryl Clarke so besides hooker the one position you would think we could spend big on is fullback.

I don't really understand why anyone would not want us to get the best fullback available on the open market IF we can afford it. I don't really get those who say they would rather have unproven Averillo at fullback. Why ? So we can save a few dollars only to spend it on a couple of depth players who will be lucky to make our top 17 each week ?

We don't even know if Averillo can catch bombs yet. We don't know if he's tough enough to risk his safety when catching bombs. We don't know if he can take a hit. Form what I've seen so far I have my concerns actually. We don't know if he can bounce off attempted tackles and if he has the same high energy and involvement as Tedesco.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So we're not going to have a strike backrower like Fafita, Bateman or even CHN. At best we'll have 2 inexperienced young halves - one having played one season in the NRL, the other only having played a handful of games. We're going to have 2 averages wingers out of Reimis, Okunbor, DWZ and Meaney. We're going to have and a winger in Cotric playing in the unfamiliar position of centre partnered with we don't know who yet but hopefully not Hopa after 2021.

Hopefully we get a decent hooker out of B.Smith, Grant or at the very least Daryl Clarke so besides hooker the one position you would think we could spend big on is fullback.

I don't really understand why anyone would not want us to get the best fullback available on the open market IF we can afford it. I don't really get those who say they would rather have unproven Averillo at fullback. Why ? So we can save a few dollars only to spend it on a couple of depth players who will be lucky to make our top 17 each week ?

We don't even know if Averillo can catch bombs yet. We don't know if he's tough enough to risk his safety when catching bombs. We don't know if he can take a hit. Form what I've seen so far I have my concerns actually. We don't know if he can bounce off attempted tackles and if he has the same high energy and involvement as Tedesco.
1. +Josh Addo-Carr
2. Jayden Okunbor
3. +Nick Cotric
4. William Hopoate
5. Reimis Smith
6. Jake Averillo
7. +Matt Burton/Kyle Flanagan
8. Luke Thompson
9. +Harry Grant/Brandon Smith
10. Ofahiki Ogden
11. Adam Elliott
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson

14. Jeremy Marshall-King
15. Renouf To'omaga
16. +Jack Hetherington
17. +Corey Waddell

Shop/Release/Run Down
Dean Britt
Christian Crichton
Blake Green
Sione Katoa
Lachlan Lewis
Dylan Napa
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

That's a very good team for next year. We're not supposed to be a top four team next year, we're supposed to be a team in or around the eight (anything is possible, but realistic expectations). I think that's doable and we can continue to add every year (e.g. when we cut ties with the shop/release/run down list). Hopefully by 2024 we're a top four team (can retain and recruit like one). You also have to account for the young players we have coming through, there should be promising times ahead.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It's not that I think people wouldn't like to get him. I think it's more about knowing that 1.25 million is a huge amount to splash on any player. With discussion going on about reducing the salary cap that figure looks even more scary. We've seen a few fullbacks emerge and start looking like quality. Think CNK at Canberra, Papenhauzen etc. Would rather we threw $612.5k at the two most promising youngsters in key positions than gamble big on one player.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's not that I think people wouldn't like to get him. I think it's more about knowing that 1.25 million is a huge amount to splash on any player. With discussion going on about reducing the salary cap that figure looks even more scary. We've seen a few fullbacks emerge and start looking like quality. Think CNK at Canberra, Papenhauzen etc. Would rather we threw $612.5k at the two most promising youngsters in key positions than gamble big on one player.
The NRL will only reduce the salary cap if it's a reduction across the board (every player), possibly less for the players closer to minimum wage imo. This was already discussed around when COVID shut the season down and the NRL weren't able to or didn't reduce the salary cap for whatever reason. It wouldn't change anything in regards to recruitment, it'll just impact what the players are earning, the same %'s will be used (e.g. 1m becomes 800k if there was a 20% reduction to the salary cap).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL will only reduce the salary cap if it's a reduction across the board (every player), possibly less for the players closer to minimum wage imo. This was already discussed around when COVID shut the season down and the NRL weren't able or didn't reduce the salary cap for whatever reason.
I think that would be legal action waiting to happen unless every player jumped on board with the idea. It was exceptional circumstances this year and I don't think a lot of players were jumping at the idea of wage cuts.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think that would be legal action waiting to happen unless every player jumped on board with the idea. It was exceptional circumstances this year and I don't think a lot of players were jumping at the idea of wage cuts.
I'd really doubt the salary cap would decrease then personally. I think if the games livelihood was at risk (it isn't) the players wouldn't really have a choice. The money simply wouldn't be there to pay them. If the NRL was able to pay all the players out for the amount they'd be losing with a lowered salary cap that's basically the only way it could be done, which again wouldn't affect recruitment which is the main reason this subject is brought up.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
How much money do u think we have to spend? Besides he likes to lattes at Double Bay

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How much money do u think we have to spend? Besides he likes to lattes at Double Bay
Losses
Jack Cogger (released), Kieran Foran (Manly Sea Eagles), Kerrod Holland (retired), Tim Lafai (released), Marcelo Montoya (released), Sauaso Sue (released), Isaiah Tass (released), Aiden Tolman (released)

Gains
Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders, 2023), Blake Green (New Zealand Warriors, 2021), Jack Hetherington (New Zealand Warriors, 2023), Corey Waddell (Manly Sea Eagles, 2023)

Whatever the difference is between the two. No one besides the club knows exactly what a player is on. I'd say the losses equal around 3.5m and the gains equal around 1.5m. That would leave about 2m remaining. That's enough to buy one of Grant/B. Smith, Burton/Flanagan and JAC if they're looking for a release and choose us (some already rumoured to be). It's also possible that Thompson was on less this year than what he'll be on next year. Also players like Hopoate would of been downgraded when extended. There are also plenty of players we could shop or release (if possible). If we're talking about the following year (2022 - when I believe Tedesco is "available") I'd say another 2m looking at who I think will be gone (assuming not moved on before the start of next season).

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Losses
Jack Cogger (released), Kieran Foran (Manly Sea Eagles), Kerrod Holland (retired), Tim Lafai (released), Marcelo Montoya (released), Sauaso Sue (released), Isaiah Tass (released), Aiden Tolman (released)

Gains
Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders, 2023), Blake Green (New Zealand Warriors, 2021), Jack Hetherington (New Zealand Warriors, 2023), Corey Waddell (Manly Sea Eagles, 2023)

Whatever the difference is between the two. No one besides the club knows exactly what a player is on. I'd say the losses equal around 3.5m and the gains equal around 1.5m. That would leave about 2m remaining. That's enough to buy one of Grant/B. Smith, Burton/Flanagan and JAC if they're looking for a release and choose us (some already rumoured to be). It's also possible that Thompson was on less this year than what he'll be on next year. Also players like Hopoate would of been downgraded when extended. There are also plenty of players we could shop or release (if possible). If we're talking about the following year (2022 - when I believe Tedesco is "available") I'd say another 2m looking at who I think will be gone (assuming not moved on before the start of next season).
What i meant is we really need halves and hooker more and not sure what's left after that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What i meant is we really need halves and hooker more and not sure what's left after that.
We'd be able to afford Tedesco for 2022 (with a hooker and half in 2021) but that's one thing, the other is do you want to pay 1.3-1.4m for him. We'd also have to have more players on or close to minimum wage to balance it.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Roosters already looking for life after Tedesco and planning for his long term replacement.

schoolboy superstar Joseph Suaalii rejecting a $2 million contract extension at the Rabbitohs as he eyes a long-term deal at the Roosters. He has been in talks with Roosters coach Trent Robinson and the club’s head of recruitment Daniel Anderson for several weeks. Whatever happens, the Roosters will have to pay a development fee to the Rabbitohs, 25 per cent of the first year of his NRL contract. It is expected to be more than $50,000.