News Rabbitohs show former Origin star Roberts the door

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
So all a club has to do is tell a contracted player that they aren’t wanted or aren’t in their plans for the next year and they are automatically gone and free up cap space?

Why didn’t we do that with all our overpaid players?
It's a tactic to move them on.
Flanagan and jimmy the alco are players that teams will pick up.
we tell Montoya he's free to leave in 2019 he will just get mad and not put in.

Although some players will stay and fight like rod Silva did in 1998.
Wayne Bennett has a habit of telling players a year in advance. He did that to Jason Clark too.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Put it this way.

We could do the same thang to averillo if we wanted and it would work perfectly.

If we wanted.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whoever signs Roberts won't get much if anything out of him as his form has been shocking for years and mentally/off the field he's a disaster.. He was always getting let go and I always thought Addo-Carr would end up at Souths.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we took Roberts and let Souths get JAC, I'm sure they'll repay the favour someday
Haha you're fucking dreaming. As if South's would do any favours for us. Get your hand off it Nasheed.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But seriously, he's never lasted more than 3 odd years with a club. Any potential boss would balk at that kind of resume.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed is right Grog Inglis wasn't technically a medical retirement. It was a slightly different scam. They convinced him to retire and then paid him out his remaining contract by giving him a cushy overpaid job. Good old Greenburg signed off on it so it's okay.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed is right Grog Inglis wasn't technically a medical retirement. It was a slightly different scam. They convinced him to retire and then paid him out his remaining contract by giving him a cushy overpaid job. Good old Greenburg signed off on it so it's okay.
It's not really a scam.
Pretend he didn't play football
It is the NRL/Souths offering a guy a job. Nothing more and nothing less and legal.

Where it is dodgy is just how much he got paid. Way overs.

But we should do the same thang with Green.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a shame that don’t afford the guy the same lenience and support they obviously gave Burgess...

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But seriously, he's never lasted more than 3 odd years with a club. Any potential boss would balk at that kind of resume.
He’s been sacked by bunnies already, then sacked by panthers. Then stirred shit up at both broncos and south’s again. The bloke is a headcase he needs to retire and get a regular job

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s been sacked by bunnies already, then sacked by panthers. Then stirred shit up at both broncos and south’s again. The bloke is a headcase he needs to retire and get a regular job
Having him will be like a casual employee, if he fs up we can sack him at any time

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a tactic to move them on.
Flanagan and jimmy the alco are players that teams will pick up.
we tell Montoya he's free to leave in 2019 he will just get mad and not put in.

Although some players will stay and fight like rod Silva did in 1998.
Wayne Bennett has a habit of telling players a year in advance. He did that to Jason Clark too.
Club tried to push Silva out in 98?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve been asking around for info on how the Wabbits can “sack” a player who has a registered contract. Surely he could just say “I’m staying and you‘re paying me the full contract value, whether I play or not”. From what I have heard he has done something/s that breach his contract and they could cancel it instantly. But that would require them to provide the reason/s to the NRL and that’s not something they want to do at the current time. Could there be a similar issue to the SBurgess irregularities that involve staff and/or players? Possibly add further evidence to that case? There‘s a lot more dirt down that Wabbit hole.

Go Dogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ve been asking around for info on how the Wabbits can “sack” a player who has a registered contract. Surely he could just say “I’m staying and you‘re paying me the full contract value, whether I play or not”. From what I have heard he has done something/s that breach his contract and they could cancel it instantly. But that would require them to provide the reason/s to the NRL and that’s not something they want to do at the current time. Could there be a similar issue to the SBurgess irregularities that involve staff and/or players? Possibly add further evidence to that case? There‘s a lot more dirt down that Wabbit hole.

Go Dogs
I was pondering the same thing. Souffs seem to have form for not fronting up to the NRL about stuff, its high time for the NRL to tell them that anything not reported at the time it is discovered will result in huge fines and competition point deductions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Go Dogs
That's exactly what they're doing. They're terminating his contract for breaking the code of conduct etc and informed him of this a while ago.

I'd imagine with Roberts being in and out of rehab so often, missing training or turning up late, drunk, high etc that Souths would legitimately have grounds to terminate his deal in this instance.

The way they got cap relief for Burgess and Inglis on the other hand was complete bullshit.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was pondering the same thing. Souffs seem to have form for not fronting up to the NRL about stuff, its high time for the NRL to tell them that anything not reported at the time it is discovered will result in huge fines and competition point deductions.
And make them put their roster together on a lower salary cap and put a restriction on third party agreements.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's exactly what they're doing. They're terminating his contract for breaking the code of conduct etc and informed him of this a while ago.

How Souths find ways to do this and other clubs don't when they have similar players with off field problems is beyond me, but I'd imagine with Roberts being in and out of rehab so often and never turning up to training etc that Souths would legitimately have grounds to terminate his deal in this instance.
While we are at it has anyone kept a count on "medical retirements" at clubs when Wayne Bennett was the coach at the time?