Can Meaney be our own Papenhuysen?

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tbaz chased Staines and possibly JAC to play fullback. Flanagan and Burton as our halves. It's going to be a big guessing game for us as he appears to be orchestrating a big overhaul on what we've seen from our plays the last few years. All I can read into this is he doesn't rate what we have.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Tbaz chased Staines and possibly JAC to play fullback. Flanagan and Burton as our halves. It's going to be a big guessing game for us as he appears to be orchestrating a big overhaul on what we've seen from our plays the last few years. All I can read into this is he doesn't rate what we have.
Really good point actually.
But maybe he just doesn't know

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney needs to run hard, fight the tackle n bring energy to his game. Far too soft in everything he does.
Exactly.... he needs more agro in his game, more c@nt!!!
Ben Barba was the same size as Meaney, maybe smaller but he had c@nt and agro in his game (ffs he tried to belt both Jamal Idris and Lee Te Maari on a night out and they were 3 times his size!!)

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He doesn't have the tackle busting ability of Papenhuyzen or the instincts/support play. His career progression has also been hampered by the irregular and inexperienced spine players he has had to work with and a coach that consistently moves him from fullback to wing.

Given the right environment and coaching he could be a very good fullback without ever being a superstar and I'd be cool with that. If I was Barrett I would give him the #1 jersey and the full preseason to get ready for it.

Remember the difference Hasler made to Barba. In one off-season they laid the ground work to go from x-factor sub to superstar match winner. Now Meaney is no Barba but like I said, he could do the job for us at fullback if given enough support from the coaching staff and the team.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Meaney should be fullback for the whole year next year. He’ll get better and better, similar to Patten but he’ll never be like Paps. He would of shown a lot more by now if so.
Agreed. If Averilo is to play in the halves and not T fb, then meaney has to be the 1. He has nothing on Paps though!!!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Didn't expect this.
both are super fast. Both can play ball. Both are football instinct types

pappy was no one 2 years ago. Shopped around like a slut of Joseph Stalin. Now he's being compared to Slater.
with the right guidance, why can't Meaney be? He's the Aussie schoolboy fullback few years back
Papenhauzen possesses incredible acceleration (undoubtedly his biggest strength), runs lines aimed between players (not at them), changes direction without losing speed, has lateral vision and a good instinct for the game.

Meaney’s top speed and leap are his best assets, he struggles to break the line, though has decent awareness in game environments and is a handy GK. He’s a good player, has potential to improve, but he’s not going to be a Paps level player, we would have seen that by now.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The rest of the spine doesn't help Meaney but I think he could do a similar job to Dylan Edwards at the Panthers if he had we had more creativity at hooker and in the halves. There would only be a handful of fullbacks in the NRL that could do ok with our current spine.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Title is self explanatory.

why or why Not?
He is quick and has football instinct. But is he good enough?
Proper answers please.
Doesn’t have the brain or the speed of papenhuysen,and defensively woeful,but he is still learning,and hopefully with some good coaching,he can really b something

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Title is self explanatory.

why or why Not?
He is quick and has football instinct. But is he good enough?
Proper answers please.
Hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha.....idiot.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Meaney needs to be our fullback Next year and stop this rubbish that his a winger.
would love to see him become more aggressive in his play but unfortunately not at all like Papenhuyzen. Papenhuyzen has his own style of play and enjoyable to watch

Last edited:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just look how many meters and how quick the play the ball that the Storm get compared to ours. Add this on top of slick backline movements. Paps has some quality players around him and will always shine in that team.
Meaney has the skills to become a quality FB if given the opportunity.
If we snag Flanno and a decent hooker at least, I think Meaney will develop quite well.
1- Meaney
6- Avo
7- Flanno
9- we can only hope we sign what we’ve been linked to.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just look how many meters and how quick the play the ball that the Storm get compared to ours. Add this on top of slick backline movements. Paps has some quality players around him and will always shine in that team.
Meaney has the skills to become a quality FB if given the opportunity.
If we snag Flanno and a decent hooker at least, I think Meaney will develop quite well.
1- Meaney
6- Avo
7- Flanno
9- we can only hope we sign what we’ve been linked to.
What skills? He's bog average. His contact is bad, doesn't have the strength or balance to break tackles, no footwork, no agility, etc. He's an okay backup option at best.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Meaney is ok but hes back with the pack. Tedesco, Pap and to a lesser degree Gutherson are a tier above the rest of the fullbacks. I say to a lesser degree for Guth because he isnt as consistent as the other two. 1 thing that these 3 have that the others dont is they are all involved in everything, and are the most lethal players in their teams. Like Barba was to us in 2012. Edwards for Penrith for example, is quite adequate as a FB, and does a lot of work, but you dont notice him, even though hes in the best side and he gets through a lot of work. Whereas Pap and Tedesco are involved in pretty much every try their teams score. Same with Gutherson on a good day.

Pap also hit the ground running in the NRL and was very good from game 1. I suppose in Meaneys favour is he hasnt consistently been playing FB since he started playing.

I also left T Turbo out of the above because he only plays half the time, which is a detriment to his team.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Last night showed a caparison of Papa to Billy Slater with their first 40 games. The stats (other then try's) showed Papa is performing just as good as Billy did at the same stage. Meaney didn't get a mention.