Flanagan consolidated thread.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The fallout from the Roosters’ failure to secure a historic premiership three-peat has begun – with Canterbury emerging as the possible home for under-fire halfback Kyle Flanagan next season.
Fox Sports has learned incoming Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett is keen to secure Flanagan’s services as he prepares to lift the Belmore club away from the bottom of the NRL ladder.

Barrett is in the process of overhauling the Canterbury-Bankstown roster and views the sharpshooting goal-kicker Flanagan as an emerging playmaker with immense upside.

Flanagan’s exit from Bondi would open the door for boom rookies Lachlan Lam and Sam Walker to wear the coveted No. 7 Tricolours jumper in 2021.

The Roosters season might only be a tick over 72 hours old but the benchmark NRL club has already begun the process of a full season review including individual player reviews.

The Tricolours will host their annual Jack Gibson Medal awards night on Tuesday at Easts Leagues club at Bondi with one of the biggest talking points out of their straight sets finals exit being what changes the club will make to its roster.

Flanagan, 22, is currently signed with the Roosters until the end of 2021 but the club is believed to be open to granting him an early release.

The Roosters will still have Luke Keary, Lam and Walker with the latter two to duel over who will partner the champion No. 6.

Canterbury-Bankstown had Flanagan on a list of off-contract talent they intended to have a crack at as of November 1 anyway.

Should the Roosters decide to make a tough decision on the young gun playmaker the Bulldogs will more than happily sit down at the negotiating table early.

The rookie no. 7 endured an up and down first full season in the NRL with Roosters coach Trent Robinson opting to drop Flanagan in favour of Lam after the opening 12 games.

The Roosters then won their next two games before Flanagan was brought back into the team when Lam sustained a syndesmosis injury.

Some of the biggest names in rugby league have leapt to the defence of Flanagan in the last 48 hours as questions began to be asked after the Roosters lost their final three matches of the season.

Aside from losing both finals encounters, the Roosters also had 60 points scored against them by arch rivals South Sydney in their final regular season match.

Flanagan was always facing a monumental assignment taking over the no. 7 jumper from champion halfback Cooper Cronk.

In 20 NRL appearances this season, the Roosters halfback had 11 try-assists, 11 linebreak assists and scored four tries.

Flanagan also amassed 198 points and was second behind Adam Reynolds on the NRL pointscoring list with a goalkicking percentage of 80.53 per cent.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This year was Flanagan's first proper year in the NRL (I think he has around 30 games all up). I think the experience and development he's gotten at the Roosters this year will be massive for him depending on how much his confidence is shot. He was never going to be able to replace Cooper Cronk in one year. Saying that I do think he was a liability in the finals for the Roosters (he wasn't the only one, Lussick and JWH come to mind too). If we were to sign him we'd have to be patient with him for another one to two years. I did want us to sign him before he signed with the Roosters last year. I'd still prefer Burton but Flanagan might be the better option, I just have a very good feeling about Burton.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This year was Flanagan's first proper year in the NRL (I think he has around 30 games all up). I think the experience and development he's gotten at the Roosters this year will be massive for him depending on how much his confidence is shot. He was never going to be able to replace Cooper Cronk in one year. Saying that I do think he was a liability in the finals for the Roosters (he wasn't the only one, Lussick and JWH come to mind too). If we were to sign him we'd have to be patient with him for another one to two years. I did want us to sign him before he signed with the Roosters last year. I'd still prefer Burton but Flanagan might be the better option, I just have a very good feeling about Burton.
Patience and The Kennel?

Has there ever been such a thing? Can they co-exist on here?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be a good signing. I haven't watched him that closely this year but he clearly has talent (otherwise the Rorters wouldn't have signed him). I think under Baz he will shine (much like Clearly has)

Considering Burton is more of a 6 and Flanagan is a 7, they would be a good combo with Avo at 1.

Would rather him than Townsend

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would be a good signing. I haven't watched him that closely this year but he clearly has talent (otherwise the Rorters wouldn't have signed him). I think under Baz he will shine (much like Clearly has)

Considering Burton is more of a 6 and Flanagan is a 7, they would be a good combo with Avo at 1.

Would rather him than Townsend
Exactly what i just wrote.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Will we wait for Burton tho? And considering Flanagan's experience wouldn't that give him the advantage over Burton?

Sure. He hasn't set the world on fire this year but as you say he's young and stepping into Cronk's shoes was always going to be a big ask.

I don't know enough about either player to make a call, but would prefer to one that could start for us first game in '21 rather than waiting a year.